Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

niallo27 wrote: »
    He said they got lucky at the weekend but didn't get one decision from the ref tonight and that these things even themselves out over the season.

Nice of you to leave out the rest, where he mentioned how it didnt detract from how poor United were, how they had 1 shot (according to him) on target, how they were second to every ball, how Wigan deserved to win.

You missed a key phrase that read "credit to Wigan"

Why would you try to make it look like he blamed the ref when anybody can easily check it out and call you on your bs? seems foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kryogen wrote: »
    These results happen, complacency is a problem that hopefully will now be stamped out of the team...

The problem is, complacency has haunted the team all season. Nothing is won until it is mathematically impossible to lose. So if some of the team think they are nearly there, then we can only hope SAF snaps them out of it. I fully expected a draw tonight, but the defeat was a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Firstly fair play to Wigan, the better team all over the park ,fully deserved the win .
    Right after a night sleep ,my belief is back .Looking at the facts...
    5 point lead with 5 games to go with three of these games at home .
    I would have snapped off anyones arm if I was offered this at christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I fully expect an absolute hammering of Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO if Scholes can play five games in a row, United will canter to the league title.

As a neutral, I'd love it if City beat United at home and won every other match and it all came down to the final day with United needing to match City's result in a tricky away performance at Sunderland.

Tevez will make a big difference to City IMO. He's like Rooney in that he's a forward who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and they're invaluable. Fair enough RVP will win you games like away at Liverpool by scoring with practically his only two touches but Tevez/Rooney can actually make you dominate a game when they're on song ... which leads me to ... all that nonsense about Mancini being able to handle the big personalities. In four weeks time people will be saying that Balotelli and Tevez's antics lost them the league ... and they're the only two difficult personalities at the club!

Fergie/Mourhino get it right IMO in that they're the big personality at the club and anyone with ideas otherwise better step aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

was scholes injured last night or just rested?

if anybody needed proof that its down to him that our season has turned around, last night could provide it. which is sad really, as it shows that one quality ball player in the middle could have lead to us having a totally different start to the season when we played some of the worst football any united team of the last 20 years has played (apart from about 4 games).

on to villa now, need a good win there to get the swagger back for the last 4 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I fully expect an absolute hammering of Villa.

Alex McLeish probably had his head in hands at the final whistle last night. I'd like to see Scholes/Carrick and Clev start in CM at the weekend though at least get the lad up to full match fitness and maybe we might see some more magic from him like at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Everybody complains about the poor midfield but United need another forward, an experienced one and it something I expect Fergie to address in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

bullvine wrote: »
    Everybody complains about the poor midfield but United need another forward, an experienced one and it something I expect Fergie to address in the summer.

Yup....

On this, What's the opinions of Chico - does anyone reckon that Hernandez is not going to be the success we hoped he'd be after last season?

(Not saying I do, just askin)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

That result was so predictable. I also predict Man Utd will go on a bad run now. If we lost to City we dont deserve the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

bullvine wrote: »

If Welbeck was to improve his finishing, he would become a complete all round striker. Still young and considering he has an excellent all round game otherwise, it is the one area he has to improve.

Hernandez on the other hand is very much like ole gunnar solskjaer. An impact player who can pop up with an important goal. He doesn't have a good general game and was a burden on the team last night and is a burden when united don't have a lot of possession. At the moment, he is much more suited to a super sub role as he doesn't offer an awful lot in a general game. I will probably get castigated for this but it is my two cents. Welbeck and berbatov are far better players than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

alproctor wrote: »
    Yup....

On this, What's the opinions of Chico - does anyone reckon that Hernandez is not going to be the success we hoped he'd be after last season?

(Not saying I do, just askin)

2nd season snydrome.... people have somewhat sussed out what hes about now so its up to him to readjust his game. Thats what defines the best players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

2nd season snydrome.... people have somewhat sussed out what hes about now so its up to him to readjust his game. Thats what defines the best players

Not being caught offside 73 times each game would be a start! :)

NinjaK wrote: »
    That result was so predictable.

Given our form it really wasnt. We've looked better away from home of late and its easy to aftertime now.
    I also predict Man Utd will go on a bad run now.

Based on what?
    If we lost to City we dont deserve the title.

Maybe somewhat true. Think its generally the case that if you win the big games you win the league

True

I dont think he was as bad with this last season (open to correction) so maybe its a case of others wising up to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Solksjaer had a poor second season as well, so you can see how it could happen with Chico. Welbecks touch and passing has been very poor in the last few games, hes suffering from the typical lack of confidence. I think last nights game would have suited Berbatov, he would have probably kept the ball better up top than any of the others.

Berba deserves a run. the way he is being treated is a disgrace.

i hope he plays up top with Rooney on Sunday. Welbeck has one goal in 14 games FFS.

Never really been a fan of Berb but seems strange them letting him go in the summer, considering the options that they have with him gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

i hope he plays up top with Rooney on Sunday. Welbeck has one goal in 14 games FFS.

Could not agree more. If Berba had put in the shifts that Chico or Welbeck have put in of late then he be labelled out for blame nearly single handly.

I cant watch SSN today just going be avoided on my break and when I get home.

2 huge games coming up now all of sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

Disappointed totally with the berba thing, united strikers are not performing.

Like to see United play with pace, they were very lack lustre last night and deserved to lose.

Need a big win this weekend especially if citeh win

Aye! If city win, they'll be under some pressure come Sunday afternoon but thats what they thrive on.

It's amazing what few days does. Sunday night we were home and dry, and now it's game on again.

Still think City will drop some more points and this weekend would be nice timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Still think City will drop some more points and this weekend would be nice timing.

I agree. We win our 3 home games, we win the league.

The one pity in all of this is that it looks like Wolves are doomed. It would have been a lot more difficult for City to go there if Wolves were less than 9 points from 17th position.

theres talk again today that the Gaitan deal is all but agreed.

nothing new apart from a lower price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

He'd be the advanced creative prescence you need, fundamental to get a defensive CM and sort out Evra/Berbatov/Park also in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

theres talk again today that the Gaitan deal is all but agreed.

nothing new apart from a lower price.

Isnt he yet another winger?
    I would have thought midfield was your weakest area, ie replacing scholes

the lower price is probably cos he was crap against us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree. We win our 3 home games, we win the league.

The one pity in all of this is that it looks like Wolves are doomed. It would have been a lot more difficult for City to go there if Wolves were less than 9 points from 17th position.

The way Wolves have been playing under Terry Connor, they never would have had a chance against City IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I cant watch SSN today just going be avoided on my break and when I get home.

i hadn't watched it for about 6 weeks until Tuesday night.

you'll be fine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think what would help is if we had a midfielder who can pick a quick pass. Also he has had a long summer and has been getting niggling injuries and hasnt had a run in the team. I would be more worried about Wellbeck who's finishing is terrible for a striker. He either blasts it over the bar or hits shots like back passes. Berba should be in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Welbeck and Hernandez are both young and have both shown that they are capable of great things. Hernandez needs a run of games and if Welbeck continues his rate of improvement he will get better.

Thought Fergie's team choice was weird last night. The team looked disjointed and tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Welbeck and Hernandez are both young and have both shown that they are capable of great things. Hernandez needs a run of games and if Welbeck continues his rate of improvement he will get better.

Thought Fergie's team choice was weird last night. The team looked disjointed and tired.

I just dont understand it Wigan away is tougher than Villa at home why rest players. Also tiredness cant be an excuse we are out of Europe and usually have extra tough games this time of year. Just made no sense really just hope its a full strength team for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Isnt he yet another winger?
    I would have thought midfield was your weakest area, ie replacing scholes

the lower price is probably cos he was crap against us!

Yeah he is. Can play left and right. Sometimes CAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

John Chapman ‏
    #mufc asst coach Rene Meulensteen tells Voetbal International that Eden Hazard is a "special talent" and that Ferguson has watched him.

Rene, likes to stir the pot doesn't he?

Blatter wrote: »
    John Chapman ‏
    #mufc asst coach Rene Meulensteen tells Voetbal International that Eden Hazard is a "special talent" and that Ferguson has watched him.

He said something along same lines about Sneijder last year too if im not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Blatter wrote: »
    John Chapman ‏

Obviously. He said about Stekelenburg and Sneijder too. What ever he says we have to think of opposite. So I think we will sign Strootman :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Obviously. He said about Stekelenburg and Sneijder too. What ever he says we have to think of opposite. So I think we will sign Strootman :pac:

Going by united recently we'll sign a defender, winger and some lad who is supposed to be really good for his age (Scholes or a 16 outfield player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Bebe will be back from injury it will be like "a new signing".

:p

On a serious note - Nathan Clyne looks a genuine target this summer and I would expect Fergie to offload Michael Owen (and possibly buying another striker).

We all want a midfielder or two but you just know what will happen. We will buy another goalkeeper or the like, complain like hell about it, draw the first two games with said signing making a total hash of everything before going on to win the league and praising Fergie for getting 220% out of a few players that belong at Kiddiminster.

Rinse and repeat for another 5 years until Fergie decides he has had enough.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Why was Valencia playing 15-20 yards inside off the right wing? Surely he should have been out wide getting chalk on his boots and stretching them right across the pitch?

Also, I'll probably get slated for this but I thought Phil Jones was absolutely woeful last night. He has had an "ok" season so far imho.

He has got loads of potential, and maybe the fact he is so committed, young, English & new, means he can get away with more mistakes than some, but he is too reckless at the moment.

That freekick he gave away in the box last night (which he got booked for) summed him up I thought. The defender had just headed it aimlessly up in the air, Jones comes in after he does, hammers him stupidly giving them a free kick, eating up time while the player is being treated and he is booked, completely relieving the pressure.

He needs to learn that some balls you can't win. Similar to Bilbao's goal at Old Trafford. Evans going up for a high ball with their player, Jones steam rolls across, taking Evans out, the Bilbao player wins the header. Now Jones & Evans are both taken out of the game and they score.

He has a lot to learn from Vidic about picking your battles, what balls you can and can't win, when it is appropriate to crunch into an opponent and when to hold your ground.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rooney10 wrote: »
    That freekick he gave away in the box last night (which he got booked for) summed him up I thought. The defender had just headed it aimlessly up in the air, Jones comes in after he does, hammers him stupidly giving them a free kick, eating up time while the player is being treated and he is booked, completely relieving the pressure.

Fair enough if you think he didn't play well, but slating him for trying to actually do something is ridiculous. It's not like the defender headed the ball away and Jones clattered into him 5 seconds later out of frustration! It was a 50/50 chance of getting his head on it and the defender got there just before him. Hardly something worth criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Personally I don't want Berbatov and his nonchalant attitude anywhere near the starting line up for the remaining games. He's been given opportunities after stints on the bench and he has failed to impress on a number of occasions.

I think it's bit unrealistic to expect any player that hasn't had much game time to start and have a big impact, especially at this crucial stage of the season.

Welbeck and Rooney please and give Berba a chance from the bench, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Why was Valencia playing 15-20 yards inside off the right wing? Surely he should have been out wide getting chalk on his boots and stretching them right across the pitch?

Also, I'll probably get slated for this but I thought Phil Jones was absolutely woeful last night. He has had an "ok" season so far imho.

He has got loads of potential, and maybe the fact he is so committed, young, English & new, means he can get away with more mistakes than some, but he is too reckless at the moment.

He needs to learn that some balls you can't win. Similar to Bilbao's goal at Old Trafford. Evans going up for a high ball with their player, Jones steam rolls across, taking Evans out, the Bilbao player wins the header. Now Jones & Evans are both taken out of the game and they score.

He has a lot to learn from Vidic about picking your battles, what balls you can and can't win, when it is appropriate to crunch into an opponent and when to hold your ground.

That one was Evra's fault. Evra was still standing in the opposition half when the freekick was played long into the LB zone, hence both CB players were drawn out to it.

no your spot on, he is woefully overrated and over hyped on this thread. he was poor again last night and has been for many months now.

i dont hold as much hope for him as alot of lads on here do. Smalling is a much better footballer, yet gets half the praise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looking at Gaitan's wiki page (and it's on Wiki, so you know it must be true :rolleyes:)

On 12th April 2012 Benfica and Manchester United agreed a 22 million pound deal to sign Nicolas Gaitan on 1 July 2012. The deal included a swap deal of Bebe and Macheda, who both were not in the future plans of the Squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

There are, on average, more shots per game in Premier League matches than in any other of Europe's top leagues:
    Premier League - 28.4 shots per game
    Serie A - 26.6
    La Liga - 26.1
    Bundesliga - 25.9
    Ligue 1 - 24.9

What do ye think of that?

Most would have thought La Liga would be top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Teamshadowclan got there.

by Wikipedia's reckoning, United only paid 3m in cash for him!!!! :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Looking at Gaitan's wiki page (and it's on Wiki, so you know it must be true :rolleyes:)

On 12th April 2012 Benfica and Manchester United agreed a 22 million pound deal to sign Nicolas Gaitan on 1 July 2012. The deal included a swap deal of Bebe and Macheda, who both were not in the future plans of the Squad.

He did play unreal in the one game I seen of him in the first leg v chelsea but he was more wide left wasn't he than anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Has Berbatov slept with Fergie's wife by chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

no your spot on, he is woefully overrated and over hyped on this thread. he was poor again last night and has been for many months now.

i dont hold as much hope for him as alot of lads on here do. Smalling is a much better footballer, yet gets half the praise.

Nail on the head. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be next England captain...but right now I hold more trust in Smalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's got to the stage I sigh a little when I see Jones in the team.He escaped a lot of criticism earlier in the season.
    So naive in defence and doesn't have the technical ability for midfield,there isn't really a place for him at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement