Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Oh yeah, the Green and Gold till the club is sold ****e! how is that getting on?

Grant Holt will score the winner for Norwich v City btw, it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kryogen wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the Green and Gold till the club is sold ****e! how is that getting on?

Didn't Norwich have a chant about United fans wearing "their colours"?:pac:

Grant Holt winner in the last minute would be amazing.........and us to smash 5 past Villa on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

zerks wrote: »
    Didn't Norwich have a chant about United fans wearing "their colours"?:pac:

Grant Holt winner in the last minute would be amazing.........and us to smash 5 past Villa on Sunday.

They said they wanted their scarves back.

Can't deny that it was hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'd be happy with 1 nil.
    I think goal difference is irrelevant now.
    If we were to end on level points it would mean we would have to drop 5 points more than City so that's going to further negate the goal difference for us while increasing theirs.
    A 5 point swing would put them out of reach in goal difference terms IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Didn't Norwich have a chant about United fans wearing "their colours"?:pac:.

we came for our scarves
    we came for our scaaaaaarrrves
    you theiving manc bastards
    we came for our scarves!

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Its everyones favourite players birthday today. Go on Ando boy! :P

Its also Lindegaards birthday. That save against City in the cup was amazing, forgot about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I'd be happy with 1 nil.
    I think goal difference is irrelevant now.
    If we were to end on level points it would mean we would have to drop 5 points more than City so that's going to further negate the goal difference for us while increasing theirs.
    A 5 point swing would put them out of reach in goal difference terms IMO.

I agree, if City beat us (which they will almost certainly have to do to stand any chance) that would have a double whammy on the GD as well. Unless we hammer Villa by 5 or 6 and win by at least 3 against Everton, we can forget about winning it on GD.

Just get the points in the bag at this stage. 5 point lead with 5 games (4 v mid-table sides, 3 at home) to go is a fantastic scenario for us, especially seeing as two of City's games are Norwich and Newcastle away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Goal difference is almost always irrelevant. Not sure why people ever go on about it. Over two decades since it mattered at the top.

Yeah it's always unlikely, but I suppose when you're a team that is closely fighting a rival at the top of the league it would be in the back of your mind as how sickening would it be to lose on GD?

If Chelsea had beaten us at OT last season we would have been level on points but they would have lead by a couple of goals with two games to go.

Saying that I'd prefer for players to be saving their legs and seeing out a game at 2/3-0 instead of pushing on for more goals at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's handy to have and would be an absolute stomach turner if you lost out that way. I wonder if it has made any difference to the bottom of the table over the years. I kind of remember something like that a while back but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah it's always unlikely, but I suppose when you're team is closely fighting a rival at the top of the league it would be in the back of your mind as how sickening would it be to lose on GD?

If Chelsea had beaten us at OT last season we would have been level on points but they would have lead by a couple of goals with two games to go.

Saying that I'd prefer for players to be saving their legs and seeing out a game at 2/3-0 instead of pushing on for more goals at this stage.

Beat City to the league yesterday in Football Manager on GD, felt fantastic.:D

I fancy Norwich getting at least a point tomorrow, good side this year and tough to beat home or away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think it should ever come down to goal difference.

If the top 2 teams finished on the same points then I think it should go to a best 2 out of 3 scenario, with a game being played at each teams ground and if it's 1-1 after that, the final to be played at Wembley for the title. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

nicklauski wrote: »
    You're not the only one, but this is the kind of mentality that is going around.

After the Newcastle game, people were saying Ferdinand should be got rid of in the summer.
    Now after some good (albeit great) games, they want him in the England side.

We're a fickle bunch us football fans.

I want United to go out and absolutely destroy Villa and put all the pressure on City.

Yeh your right about the fickleness, i reckon Ferdinand has proved a lot of doubters wrong this year. He is well worth his england starting place in my eyes. i couldnt care less about who starts for england but there is no english centre back performing more consistently than him. Evans has been top class as well and is also making Rio step up.

its been mentioned here the last couple of days but what is the feckin story with Phil Jones? He had a "bebe" against wigan the other night. completely out of his depth at right full. The most annoying thing about his performance was when he took a knock he wanted to go off when we had made our 3 subs. Fergie told him to go in and stand at centre half, I nearly threw the remote at the tv when i seen that. He just didnt fancy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I don't think it should ever come down to goal difference.

If the top 2 teams finished on the same points then I think it should go to a best 2 out of 3 scenario, with a game being played at each teams ground and if it's 1-1 after that, the final to be played at Wembley for the title. :cool:

I think that's a top idea - probable argument against it would be fixture congestion leading up to major European Finals or WC/EC's....

That said, i don't think it's gonna be an issue this year, and the last time it was needed was Arsenal/Liverpool 20-something years ago, so can't see it being ever changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Re goal difference.

Utd would be 2 points clear if they match Citys result and lose to City away.

Having a better goal difference would mean that Utd could afford to draw one game more and still win the title.

Samich wrote: »
    Re goal difference.

Having a better goal difference would mean that Utd could afford to draw one game more and still win the title.

captain_obvious.jpg

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Samich wrote: »
    Re goal difference.

You do realise we're miles behind on goal difference right? Just forget about it, not going to catch them at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

s.welstead wrote: »
    You do realise we're miles behind on goal difference right? Just forget about it, not going to catch them at this stage of the season.

3 goals..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    3 goals..............

Nope currently 3 goals. For GD to matter they would have to claw back 5 points meaning a minimum of another 3 goal swing in their favour.

So eh 6 goals, probaly 8 or 9 realistically to get back with 3 remaining games.

If goal difference comes into play then Man City will be champions, no doubt about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

s.welstead wrote: »
    If goal difference comes into play then Man City will be champions, no doubt about that.

Manchester United 7-0 Aston Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Trilla wrote: »
    Manchester United 7-0 Aston Villa

scholesy is back so you never know!

scholesy is back so you never know!

Yep! Hoping for this XI:
    De Gea
    Rafael Rio Evans Evra
    Tony V SatNav Rock Nani
    Wazza Chico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yeh your right about the fickleness, i reckon Ferdinand has proved a lot of doubters wrong this year. He is well worth his england starting place in my eyes. i couldnt care less about who starts for england but there is no english centre back performing more consistently than him. Evans has been top class as well and is also making Rio step up.

its been mentioned here the last couple of days but what is the feckin story with Phil Jones? He had a "bebe" against wigan the other night. completely out of his depth at right full. The most annoying thing about his performance was when he took a knock he wanted to go off when we had made our 3 subs. Fergie told him to go in and stand at centre half, I nearly threw the remote at the tv when i seen that. He just didnt fancy it

Jones was stink but if he was injured you dont blame him. He doesnt want to hurt himself more and end up missing the last few games and his outside chance of going to the Euro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Clev s a tomtom and scholes is a rock?

Just watching premier league years.
    Reliving the last few games of last season :),we better not feck this up this year.

Chicos early goal v Chelsea in that game at O.T :D nearly hit the roof when that went in.
    Great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Little off topic but I see that Rossi has injured his knee again. Another 6 months out. Shame that, I don't like seeing players get bad injuries, least of all ex United players (who don't disgrace themselves when leaving)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Brutal on Rossi great little player. Could seriously effect him now esp the type of player he is.

Clev s a tomtom and scholes is a rock?

Scholes is the sat nav
    Carrick is the rock, in name (Gaelic) and nature (consistent) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Trilla wrote: »
    Scholes is the sat nav
    Carrick is the rock, in name (Gaelic) and nature (consistent) :)

Haha, that's deadly. Never made the connection to the Irish... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I had to work during the game and only watched it late last night after it went up on the usual sites. Pain in the arse result, but these things happen.

Just after reading through the posts here and I think some people are being very harsh on Hernandez, Cleverley and Jones.

Chico: Against Wigan they had the better of the play for a long time and Fergie had to change it around and ended up leaving Chico isolated up front. He didn't have a bad game, he just ended up in a game that he is not suited to. For the season as a whole, he has been demoted to second choice behind Welbeck and has missed some time injured, so he hasn't got a run of games at all. He still has 10 PL goals in 16 starts. He's not having a bad second season, he is just not being played as much because Welbeck has been made first choice. But he is still scoring goals at a similar rate to what he did last season when everybody was rightly **** over him.

Cleverley: Played well enough when he was on. Was the only central player who linked up the play and created openings consistently. Carrick and Cleverley would have been a much better option to start with than Carrick and Giggs imo.

Jones: Most people aren't being that hard on him other than Homer, but I just want to point out that he hasn't actually played that much recently so the Wigan game really shouldn't be a concern. It's the same when Rafa goes in to fullback for the first game, it takes them a while to get up to speed. I really hope that Jones doesn't get Michael Essien syndrome, because the way he is being moved around this season can't be good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Just watching premier league years.
    Reliving the last few games of last season :),we better not feck this up this year.

Chicos early goal v Chelsea in that game at O.T :D nearly hit the roof when that went in.
    Great memories.

I remember arriving to the pub a small bit late for that match. Got a pint, just sat down and he scored. Was incredible.

Fart wrote: »
    I remember arriving to the pub a small bit late for that match. Got a pint, just sat down and he scored. Was incredible.

I was at that game with the oul fella, who use to go in the 60s alot. He's a diabetic and he got so excited I had to run to the kiosk and stock up on the double deckers and fanta!

We were lucky enough despite dominating the chances and a missed pen that could have made it 4-1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anderson's apparently been stopped by the Police in Portugal and refused a breathalyser. Fined £300ish and could lose his licence. Idiot if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

City dropping points at Norwich would be nice and would give us a 7 point cushion. Providing of course that United win their next two games. A draw would then give us the title at the Etihad and that would mean..........

ARGH_da4b51c6281403df5a96ab85edf813d3_1.jpg

• Advertisement

I couldn't really care tbh, thought I might, a little, but nope

So is the 2nd leg of the youth cup semi on itv again or just mutv??

Edit:Seems not,bit strange showing the first leg and not the 2nd :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

City dropping points at Norwich would be nice and would give us a 7 point cushion. Providing of course that United win their next two games. A draw would then give us the title at the Etihad and that would mean..........

ARGH_da4b51c6281403df5a96ab85edf813d3_1.jpg

He's wearing the wrong coloured shirt in that pic.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Barmby scores to level the tie on agg

Against the run of play it has to be said.
    Decent strike,keeper probably would have got it only for the slight deflection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I hope we go to middleeastlands and play the same system as we did v blackburn, provided we win our next 2 home games all we need to do is prevent city from winning, a defensive formation would suit us because they would need to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Chelsea score 3-2 on agg 20 mins to go. Been coming tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He's wearing the wrong coloured shirt in that pic.;)

You would spot that now wouldn't you :mad:. I actually thought about Photoshopping a United jersey onto him, but I was just too lazy to do it :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

559953523.jpg?key=640827

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

futurama_fry_looking_squint.jpg?w=300&h=225

amiable wrote: »
    559953523.jpg?key=640827
    Could you not have cropped that??
    Ya know like just the bottom part would have done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Could you not have cropped that??
    Ya know like just the bottom part would have done ;)
    No

amiable wrote: »
    No
    It's getting late and there's youngsters on here,have some consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Whats that about, i cant read that small print, 3 million gone missing is all i see. It was a bonkers of a deal alright.

It screamed dodgy from the moment it came out.I'd be more surprised if it was all above board.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement