Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if berba and owen leave, then we 100% need another striker. i would worry if we sign a striker for big money, we will not address our big problem in midfield.

i cant see more than 3 players coming in this summer and in reality, it should only be 2 - 2 central players. sadly, i can see us signing a fullback,a winger and a striker and nothing to sort the gaping hole thats been there for the past 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Goals from the reserves the other night. We are playing Liverpool today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really??:confused: One of the best strikers of all time in the Spanish league is a journeyman!?

Well at this point he is yes, hes in his twilight, looks a player that doesnt want to pack it in. Every move is going to be a mild step backwards until he ends up in one of the mad abroad leagues earning a fortune.

Nothing wrong with it, but that sort of signing doesnt fit into the United ethos, the Owen escapade has been shockingly unproductive.

He's had his chance at big clubs and been a flop .

Incorrect.

Was granted 20 appearances by Real Madrid, largly as a sub and scored 8 times. Was never giving the opportunity to play, and in fairness against Higuin had alot of competition, but in no way shape or form was giving any decent run in the side. When he did get a run of like 4 games, he scored 5.

At Milan was treated the same, 20 odd appearances again mostly as a substitute, and not giving a mail role.

He has a pretty proven record that when consistently starting as the main striker, he has returned a pretty impressive goals tally.

And I don't think he will cost a lot, most German league players have pretty reasonable clauses in their contracts. Considering what you'd consider the "norm" money these days, you could pickup Huntelaar for between 12-15mill.

For a player with a proven goalscoring record both domestically and in Europe. He's another Van Der Vaart in my opinion, constantly having to move club to escape someones shadow. But when trusted as the main man, pretty devastating.

And I'm pretty sure that his consistent and pretty much long term " I want to play for United" would make the move viable.

Last year with Shalke was a bit of a settling period , his 4th club in 3 years. This season, being trusted with the main striking role, has been excellent.

As he was with Ajax before making the poor move to go to Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

RasTa wrote: »
    Goals from the reserves the other night. We are playing Liverpool today

whos that 9? no sound here so i dont know if they mentioned his name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do you lot think fergie is going to try match barcas style of formation and basically play without any out and out strikers like barca did last night?

signing guitan and hazard would be a sign of that perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will Keane - very good striker, not got the physical attibutes right now but has great awareness, control and is a deadly finisher. Reminds me of Sheringham, but more of a goal threat and less creative. Better, right now, than Macheda imo. Probably to go on loan next season I reckon.

Have a look for lingard's goal in the dallas cup recently. Some lovely quick feet and passing from Keane in the build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Will Keane, should get shipped off to Swansea, Wigan or a champion ship side hopefully next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Everton confirm Baines out for Sundays game with a hamstring injury. Big blow for them

do you lot think fergie is going to try match barcas style of formation and basically play without any out and out strikers like barca did last night?

I'm off the firm opinion that clubs need to stop focusing so much on how to stop Barcas attack, and worry more on how exploit their defence.

I've always been of this opinion. And why I detest the El Classico so much, when Madrid should be bombing forward with their stonking good attacking lineup.

The left and right back areas are stupidly open for explotation. Not simply because they are bad defenders( they arn't) but more so because they are ****ing never there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

RasTa wrote: »
    Will Keane, should get shipped off to Swansea, Wigan or a champion ship side hopefully next season

They were some seriously nice finishes from Keane against Newcastle. And i see he got 14 goals in 18 games in the league which is an excellent return. How highly is he rated by the club? I thought from his cameo he was a midfielder but is he an old-fashioned no.9?

And how did Tunciliffe do on his loan? I remember being impressed by him when we played you last year.

Kudos on winning the reserve league, but we will give you a right thrashing today to ensure you end the season on a downer.

I'm think Hazard (etc) in the Rooney role and Rooney up top is what we are looking at (what I think would have happened if we had signed Sneijder).

Carrick-Cleverley
    Valencia
    Hazard
    Nani
    Rooney.

Fergie would then be looking for Rooney to play the 'Messi' free role and the AMC and the wingers to be bombing past him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm off the firm opinion that clubs need to stop focusing so much on how to stop Barcas attack, and worry more on how exploit their defence.

I've always been of this opinion. And why I detest the El Classico so much, when Madrid should be bombing forward with their stonking good attacking lineup.

The left and right back areas are stupidly open for explotation. Not simply because they are bad defenders( they arn't) but more so because they are ****ing never there

Being able to get the ball off them and keep it would help with the whole attacking their weaknesses in defense though wouldnt it?

kryogen wrote: »
    Being able to get the ball off them and keep it would help with the whole attacking their weaknesses in defense though wouldnt it?

They press hard and high, and harry the opponent in possession

There is no rule to say you cant do it back ;) Too many trams sit off, try get compact and are happy to let them have the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Incorrect.

Was granted 20 appearances by Real Madrid, largly as a sub and scored 8 times. Was never giving the opportunity to play, and in fairness against Higuin had alot of competition, but in no way shape or form was giving any decent run in the side. When he did get a run of like 4 games, he scored 5.

At Milan was treated the same, 20 odd appearances again mostly as a substitute, and not giving a mail role.

He has a pretty proven record that when consistently starting as the main striker, he has returned a pretty impressive goals tally.

And I don't think he will cost a lot, most German league players have pretty reasonable clauses in their contracts. Considering what you'd consider the "norm" money these days, you could pickup Huntelaar for between 12-15mill.

For a player with a proven goalscoring record both domestically and in Europe. He's another Van Der Vaart in my opinion, constantly having to move club to escape someones shadow. But when trusted as the main man, pretty devastating.

And I'm pretty sure that his consistent and pretty much long term " I want to play for United" would make the move viable.

Last year with Shalke was a bit of a settling period , his 4th club in 3 years. This season, being trusted with the main striking role, has been excellent.

As he was with Ajax before making the poor move to go to Madrid.

Maybe flop was a bit harsh . He has had his chances at big clubs and not been a success .

He lasted a whole 8 months at Real Madrid who then sold him for a loss to Milan where he lasted a year this time who then sold him at a loss again .

He's a big fish in a small pond Imo

Thats what they said about VDV, until people finally realised he wasn't a backup for Sneijdar

Maybe flop was a bit harsh . He has had his chances at big clubs and not been a success .

He lasted a whole 8 months at Real Madrid who then sold him for a loss to Milan where he lasted a year this time who then sold him at a loss again .

Real also cast out Robben and Sneijder around the same time - not bad players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Raul to united would be class and i would be happy for him to replace Berba. i would think if we were interested in him ,then we have a huge chance of getting him.

half of europe would want him though i feel.

Raul is off to Dubai or Abu Dhabi or some of those places.

They press hard and high, and harry the opponent in possession

There is no rule to say you cant do it back ;) Too many trams sit off, try get compact and are happy to let them have the ball.

If you do harry and harrass them high up the field you get destroyed because they are too good technically at keeping the ball under pressure, playing it in little triangles and ripping teams apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Raul leaving Shalke at the end of the season, confirmed by Shalke today.

Berbatov and Macheda likely leaving, Owen probably leaving too....

Raul to United I reckon, with no other striker signings. Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Raul, Keane, King.

Or Del Piero

Darren Can ‏ @Darren_Can Early Raul talk signals a move to Qatar.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He's had his chance at big clubs and been a flop .

Players get written of very easily in some peoples minds - dont they?
    The guy only spent a half season at Real Madrid (not able to register for the champions league) yet still managed to score 8 goals in 13 starts and 7 sub appearances.
    He scored 7 goals at Milan, in one season where he played in 25 games (mostly as a sub)
    He has 31 goals in 50 odd appearances for Holland.

Now, dont get me wrong, but I dont think the guy has ever had a decent chance at a "big club", when he gets a chance and a run at it he has an excellent goal scoring record both internationally and at all the other clubs he has been at.

Also, how successful a player is at a club depends very much on how the club plays, how the managers relationship is with the players and indeed the style of play he can adapt to.

For the right money he would be, in my opinion, a very good buy for united.

There are players in the past who have played at clubs (big and small) where it hasnt worked out for them, however a move to another club with a different environment and attitude have vastly improved their performances.

(not advocating United get him - I dont think they will for a number of reasons, just trying to contextualise the short termism of some fans when it comes to players - the same fans who were probably writting of carrick, fletcher, nani, ronaldo, de gea at certain stages of their careers.)

He excels when he gets the chance, and whilst in a stable environment.

Ac Milan and Madrid werent the most stable places to try claim a place in the last few years in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Could not for the life of me see Raul going to United for the reason that he could quite easily scoop up a bumper pay deal elsewhere, whereas we'd only take him on the cheap.

Edit: There ya go, linked to Qatar. That is the sort of move everyone should expect Raul to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just on the obsession with matching Barca man for man.

We will never win that battle. Its much easier to come up with a system or formation to beat a team then to try and better their own system.

Chelsea do a great job of it. Playing deep, keeping it tight and roughing them up.
    When going forward attack in controlled manner but of course most important thing is to take one of the limited chances you get.

Really curious to see who we bring in to cover LB? Unless Evra going to play almost a full season and if anything happens recall Fabio?

Overall I expect us to be busy.
    With the departures up front, Flecther out, Anderson injury problems. Seems a little short on the wing, and park also seems to be out of favour.

So your looking at cover at the back.
    Up front I would guess going to stick with Welbeck and Hernandez but wouldnt be surprised if we slashed out for a wonder kid.

Midfield I think obvious we are looking for a player like Hazard. He is kind of perfect able to play in the centre but also on the wing.
    With his price tag it would also indicate we would be going for youth or unknown player upfront, Diouf, Hernandez sort of player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A couple of people make the point that Huntelaar didnt really get a chance at the big clubs, and that he could do well for United.

But what exactly will be different if he comes to United? He won't be getting a run in the team here, same as he didnt at Real. Rooney is the main striker, Wellbeck and Hernandez are the backup, and Ferge might want a fourth option, but that fourth option most certainly will not be guaranteed a run of games.

If Huntelaar needs consistent game time to produce his best form, then he is coming to the wrong place, seems obvious to me. He should go to a smaller club who will make him their main striker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think getting players up beside and running past Rooney is the plan.

for me Rooney is at his best coming onto the ball or playing the ball forward.

mainly I guess speed will be a major factor. I don't think United will Copy Barca's game completely but certainly try and emulate the speed they can move forward at when in possesion. Either as a counter attack or slowing things down during spells of possession and then suddenly increasing the pace of play forcing errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What would Rooney's pricetag be? Just for arguements sake. He has a habit of going missing in terms of scoring when there is a story about his off field craic about to break and then takes a while to rediscover his form.

To be clear I'm not saying we should sell him, just wondering what kinda funds we'd get if we did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Torres is 50m and Carroll is 35m, you'd imagine he'd be a fair bit above them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A couple of people make the point that Huntelaar didnt really get a chance at the big clubs, and that he could do well for United.

But what exactly will be different if he comes to United? He won't be getting a run in the team here, same as he didnt at Real. Rooney is the main striker, Wellbeck and Hernandez are the backup, and Ferge might want a fourth option, but that fourth option most certainly will not be guaranteed a run of games.

If Huntelaar needs consistent game time to produce his best form, then he is coming to the wrong place, seems obvious to me. He should go to a smaller club who will make him their main striker.

As I said, I wasn't advocating United move for Huntelaar, just trying to dispell the assumption that he has been a flop at two big clubs for a season and a half under difficult circumstances, so he couldn't do well for another club under different circumstances.
    (I personally think he did pretty well when called upon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Imagine seeing Del Piero or Raul donning the United kit. It would be absolutely amazing to see.

jimp23.gif

Del Piero more then Raul for me for some reason, would take the hand off someone for either of them, but it would be more special to me to see Del Piero in a United jersey.

I think both can do better then the role they would be offered at the club though so dont really see them as a realistic possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Res: Liverpool 2 United 2

Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I actually just love the idea of having a Manchester United jersey with 'Del Piero' on the back. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Am I the only person bemused by people wanting a 37 year old Del Piero at the club? Or a 34 year old Raul?

Hell, lets get Baggio here while we are at it! Or George Weah, wonder what hes at these days?

I know Fergie has brought in older players before, like Laurent Blanc. But even Henrik Larsson was only brought in, like Scholes, to give a bit of a lift midseason. We are approaching the summer, when serious thought should be given to transfers to really improve the squad long term, novelty signings like Del Piero should not even be considered imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

For the amount of games they'd play and the impact they'd have, we'd be better off keeping Owen instead.

But I want a Del Piero jersey :(:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Am I the only person bemused by people wanting a 37 year old Del Piero at the club? Or a 34 year old Raul?

Hell, lets get Baggio here while we are at it! Or George Weah, wonder what hes at these days?

I know Fergie has brought in older players before, like Laurent Blanc. But even Henrik Larsson was only brought in, like Scholes, to give a bit of a lift midseason. We are approaching the summer, when serious thought should be given to transfers to really improve the squad long term, novelty signings like Del Piero should not even be considered imo.

No, as people have thanked your post in agreement.

But honestly, what would the club have to lose by having Alessandro Del Piero in the role Michael Owen occupies? Thing is, Del Piero would actually be fit for one (considering Michael Owen is now as much a footballer as Gary Neville), and would have a terrific impact off the bench and on the training ground. Have you been watching any Serie A this season? Del Piero is popping up when Juventus are most in need, just the other week he came off the bench and scored a free-kick to beat Lazio 2-1 and stay on course to win the league. Raul? Nothing needs to be said about Raul, other than the fact that he clearly still has it.

It's all well and good wanting Huntelaar or Llorente or whoever to come in, but if you actually took a look at our current striking situation, with Berba and Owen likely leaving, Welbeck and Hernandez battling for 2nd/3rd choice, a player like Del Piero or Raul coming in makes absolute sense.

It wont happen, no way at all, but how can you not see why people would want it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm of the opinion that Ashley Young would be better up front than DEL PIERO or RAUL.
    How anyone can seriously want United to sign these players is beyond me. Saying that he can fill Owens role is a bit strange. What role is this exactly? He doesn't have a role at United. Apart from a winning goal against City a few years ago he has been unavailable. And dare i say... not needed.

I'd rather spend the money on Hazard and Gaitan and push Ashley Young up front more. Imagine the penalties we'd get!

Did Owen score a hattrick in the Champions League before for United?

Also, Young probably couldnt play as the furthest person forward anyway, or is a demon in around the box to nick a goal in the mould of, em, Owen, Raul etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Also, Young probably couldnt play as the furthest person forward anyway, or is a demon in around the box to nick a goal in the mould of, em, Owen, Raul etc

Hat trick vs Wolfsburg

Yeah I agree with Ashley Young not playing furthest forward. He is well capable of supporting a Rooney or Wellbeck or Hernandez in a 4-4-1-1 type team. He has played that role for England and done well.

At what point in the season have United needed Berba, Owen, Macheda? I think a forward line of Rooney, Wellbeck, Hernandez, is plenty to go into next season with. And if needed Ashley Young and Nani can fill in gaps if Injuries and suspensions take out 2 or more of the 3 front players.

Just to clarify tho.... I make the Ashley Young suggestion only on the assumption that United wont have the money to sign many players and I would rather the money being spent on midfielders rather than forward players who may not be needed.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with Ashley Young not playing furthest forward. He is well capable of supporting a Rooney or Wellbeck or Hernandez in a 4-4-1-1 type team. He has played that role for England and done well.

At what point in the season have United needed Berba, Owen, Macheda? I think a forward line of Rooney, Wellbeck, Hernandez, is plenty to go into next season with. And if needed Ashley Young and Nani can fill in gaps if Injuries and suspensions take out 2 or more of the 3 front players.

Just to clarify tho.... I make the Ashley Young suggestion only on the assumption that United wont have the money to sign many players and I would rather the money being spent on midfielders rather than forward players who may not be needed.

This season United have played far fewer games then in a normal season, and Rooney has been lucky in terms of injury, we are ridiculously reliant on him and a striker who has a track record would be welcome in case of emergency, I could argue plenty of times when I have thought "I wish Berba was on the field" this season anyway tbh.

I want money spent on the midfield aswell, but if a bargain is available with good experience, leadership and a proven track record when it comes to scoring goals, I wouldnt say no.

Young can play as the support striker no doubt, but a poacher is what we would need, the only one in the squad is Hernandez. a 4th choice striker is not the top of my priorities either of course.

I'll tell you who I would like to have at United if a striker is on the shopping list, and I also think he is get-able. For the price of around 10 million I would go for Rafael Van Der Vaart.

It would pain me to give Spurs more money but he is a very good player and I think he could fill the giant Rooney shaped hole that appears in the team when Rooney is out.
    Technically he isn't a striker but he plays well up front. He also doubles as a very good attacking midfielder. And can take a free kick when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If you think Spurs would sell us Van Der Vaart for around 10mil youre drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You think Spurs would sell one of their best players for 10 million ?

Yeah right

If you think Spurs would sell us Van Der Vaart for around 10mil youre drunk

ha.

How much do you reckon? He is 29, he isn't their most important player (e.g. Gareth Bale), they are about to lose their manager and go through a bit of a transition, they bought him for 8 million.

I defo think he is get-able. But only if he wanted the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Rafael van der Vaart? No thanks. He suffers more hamstring/groin injuries than the rest of the team put together over the course of a season. A great player but I wouldn't count on him to stay fit for the whole season.

Sylvie van der Vaart? Now that's a different story. I'd definitely recommend a 10 million pound bid for her. Stick her up front and have her distract the opposition's keeper by flashing every time someone takes a shot.

sylvievandervaartbikinigirlsphotos01%5B2%5D.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Rafael van der Vaart? No thanks. He suffers more hamstring/groin injuries than the rest of the team put together over the course of a season. A great player but I wouldn't count on him to stay fit for the whole season.

Sylvie van der Vaart? Now that's a different story. I'd definitely recommend a 10 million pound bid for her. Stick her up front and have her distract the opposition's keeper by flashing every time someone takes a shot.

sylvievandervaartbikinigirlsphotos01%5B2%5D.jpg

I think Keno 92's GIF also works well with this picture :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'd like United to do what they do best. Sign a Jonson or a Solskjaer for peanuts and develop them into class players. There is limited funds available, I think there will be one marqué signing and I'd like him supplemented with squad/first team ready players who may not be household names....yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement