Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A bunch of idiots, two goals up and then they lose the lead in the dying minutes of the game. Basic fundamentals, like closing the game out seems to escape them at times. If they are to win the title, then they must beat City, because I have no faith in them winning the last two games. As soon as they went 8 points in front, they've been throwing it away. Certainly not the characteristics of previous Championship winning teams. The City match will definitely separate the men from the boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

If we do lose the title this year, it'll have been our worst season in a long time. Turning a 10 point deficit into an 8 point lead only to let that slip in the league, and we were simply awful in europe and the cups. Win or lose, IMO, money needs to be spent in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If we do lose the title this year, it'll have been our worst season in a long time. Turning a 10 point deficit into an 8 point lead only to let that slip in the league, and we were simply awful in europe and the cups. Win or lose, IMO, money needs to be spent in the summer.

I think if we win or lose, it'll still be one of our worst seasons in a long time. Not just because of our results, but because of the quality of football we've been playing. At times, it's been painful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Keno 92 wrote: »
    It's like a PS3, only better.
    What's this inferior PS3 you speak of? The PS3 I know destroys the Xbox.

Look's like we're just going to have to beat City, aren't we? I've I can think of worse situations if I'm honest... Don't get you heads down ladies and gents, it was a lazy performance after our 3rd and 4rd goals, but I think think's will be a little difference in 8 days time.

COME ON UNITED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How confident are you that we can go on and win the league?
    Personally I think we may have lost it today.

adox wrote: »
    Very.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

adox wrote: »
    Personally I think we may have lost it today.

Before today i was confident but after the defending for the last two goals i'm not so sure but we've done it before. I'd like to see Smalling back in the defence. The only player i fear of City is Sergio Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We can definitely still do it. Its still in our hands. Im tilted at the result today like we all are but have some faith

Vanbis wrote: »
    Before today i was confident but after the defending for the last two goals i'm not so sure but we've done it before. I'd like to see Smalling back in the defence. The only player i fear of City is Sergio Aguero.
    It was our midfield level defending that truly let us down today, as well as Rafael failing to track Pienaar for his goal I think. There was no concentration at that stage, if their is like that for a huge match at City they would probably deserve to lose, but I feel that given the size of the game it won't be like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

scholes doesnt have the legs to play in a 442 anymore, he can still pass the ball as well as anyone but for united to play 442 against good physical sides they needs some atheletes in there, 442 is an archaic system that most of the top teams dont play any more, against city we have to play 433 with jones in midfield with scholes and carrick, rooney needs to play up top on his own or on the left wing, id nearly play nani over valencia on the right, dont forget city still have to play newcastle away whcih wont be easy

team to play city

De Gea

smalling----rio
    evans
    evra

Nani/Valencia-scholes-carrick-jones-rooney

Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

scholes doesnt have the legs to play in a 442 anymore, he can still pass the ball as well as anyone but for united to play 442 against good physical sides they needs some atheletes in there, 442 is an archaic system that most of the top teams dont play any more, against city we have to play 433 with jones in midfield with scholes and carrick, rooney needs to play up top on his own or on the left wing, id nearly play nani over valencia on the right, dont forget city still have to play newcastle away whcih wont be easy

team to play city

De Gea

smalling----rio
    evans
    evra

Nani/Valencia-scholes-carrick-jones-rooney

Welbeck

Playing Rooney on the left is criminal. If we do go with 5 in midfield i assume it will be Rooney up top on his own with wingers and Clev supporting him from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

PHB wrote: »
    I think if we win or lose, it'll still be one of our worst seasons in a long time. Not just because of our results, but because of the quality of football we've been playing. At times, it's been painful to watch.

If anything, this team is excellent at being consistently inconsistent. Teams have had poor performances in the past, but this season has been littered with them. A title will/should not disguise this worrying trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Even at 4-2 I knew Everton had a chance of getting something because every time they went forward today they looked like they could score.

Shocking performance defensively from the whole team, nowhere near solid enough and there's no excuse for it. Only for a few moments of brilliance from out forward players we'd have lost today.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic in terms of our chances for the league though, even if City beat us they still have to go to Newcastle and win with the pressure on, which wouldn't be a given by any means. We have Sunderland which shouldn't be easy but they're not as good as Newcastle and have a lot less to play for.

Great for the neutrals but next Monday is now a whole lot bigger that it should have been. On the bright side, we would have taken this position 6 weeks ago or even at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gutted at that result today.

The lack of Fletcher and Vidic has had a significant impact this season. Both were ideal for this fixture.

United are doing their best to make this more difficult than it needs to be but hopefully they can get a result a week from tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Nailz wrote: »
    It was our midfield level defending that truly let us down today, as well as Rafael failing to track Pienaar for his goal I think. There was no concentration at that stage, if their is like that for a huge match at City they would probably deserve to lose, but I feel that given the size of the game it won't be like that.

I thought Carrick and Scholes both played well but there to many holes and space in midfield for Everton.

Big game Monday week and all the pressure will be on Man City to come out and get result. I can see us sitting back and trying to catching them on break. One plus today was Nani looked to be back in some sort of form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

As bad as today's result was, City haven't been too great for the last few weeks, they've been flattered by some of their recent scorelines. Yaya and Silva don't look half as good as they did before xmas. The threat comes from the front two, but they can be found out at the back. As long as Milner, Barry or Nasri are in the team I'd be confident of getting what we need - 1 point.

More blame for todays result lies with Evra, Rio, Carrick and Scholes than anyone else. 4-2 up and no one settled the game down like they should have, with their experience, they should have known better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Ah don't mind that MW3, nor two for that matter. MW1 trumps all.

It sure does but not the same online.

Just went 13-4 there. Felt good to take bit of anger out on somebody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Felt good to take bit of anger out on somebody

I took my anger out on the missus, should shut her up for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

My team to play City would be more like

DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Scholes
    Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

I suppose it would be like our old 4411 type thing, but basically I want a 4231 with Rooney advancing in possession and dropping back without possession, leave Carrick as far back as possible to shield the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

More blame for todays result lies with Evra, Rio, Carrick and Scholes than anyone else. 4-2 up and no one settled the game down like they should have, with their experience, they should have known better.

Thing you're missing out the major culprit today - Rafa at fault for 3 of the goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Young or Nani for the City game? Both seem to be in form right now and Nani has been doing better with the defensive side of his game. I think Nani edges it.
    greendom wrote: »
    Thing you're missing out the major culprit today - Rafa at fault for 3 of the goals

You could also put a lot of the blame on Evra. He was pulled into the middle far too often and left loads of space on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Devastating result. Got the score at half time in my match today. Of course we had to lose our match so it was a triple blow what with City winning as well. Possibly the worst Sunday I've had in a good long while.

kryogen wrote: »
    My team to play City would be more like

DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Scholes
    Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

I suppose it would be like our old 4411 type thing, but basically I want a 4231 with Rooney advancing in possession and dropping back without possession, leave Carrick as far back as possible to shield the defence.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

I'm going to leave it a couple of days to revisit my earlier question about our chances of still winning the league. I'm still wrapped up in the emotion of today's result/display so may be overly pessimistic with my opinion that I think City will go on to win it.

Going to watch the last few episodes of American Horror story to try and get my mind off footsie for the night. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

greendom wrote: »
    Yea especially Peinaar's one but in fairness, the other guys should have slowed things down a bit after going 4-2 up. We already got pegged back after being 2-1 up at that point - keep possession (which we haven't done since end of last year) slow it down and make Everton work to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Young or Nani for the City game? Both seem to be in form right now and Nani has been doing better with the defensive side of his game. I think Nani edges it.

I can't say I saw the whole match but he did very well for the goals. In my mind Nani starts ahead of the other two when he's on form.

Fergie didn't start him against Liverpool at the start of the season and I thought that was a huge mistake. He has to play against City.

Yea especially Peinaar's one but in fairness, the other guys should have slowed things down a bit after going 4-2 up. We already got pegged back after being 2-1 up at that point - keep possession (which we haven't done since end of last year) slow it down and make Everton work to get it back.

I've criticised Rafael earlier fr his defensive display but at least going forward he gives everything. There was a serious lack of pace in our play from the first whistle, both with and without the ball. It took the Everton goal to kick start the team in that sense and that just isn't good enough.

Rafael was one of the few, perhaps the only one that tried to play the game with a bit of tempo. It's the only way he knows it seems, and while it doesn't make up for his defensive errors, where he just switches off and/or gets caught ball watching, it at least shows that some heart, something dare I say was lacking in others for large parts today.

Just watching the news and the goal highlights. Two goals up with less than ten minutes to go. Two goals in a minute or so! Didnt realise at the time we had the two goal lead so late into the game and the last two Everton goals were so close together. Actually making me feel a little worse. :mad:

Thats what was so disgusting about it, how long was left, how there was still no subs and how quickly Everton scored twice.

Raf is worth his place in the team for me, for his failings, and I never have or will deny them, he adds to the team and is one of better performers more often then not.

He was poor today for goals, but he was not the only one, Rio Evans and Evra (of course) all have to shoulder blame when it comes to the goals along with the other players to a lesser extent, funnily enough De Gea had a pretty good game! Couldnt think of a goal where he really could have done anything about it, top quality finishing from both sides today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone know anywhere giving odds on the title being won on goal difference?

How much do you want to put on it and Ill give you a price myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I didn't see the game as we were playing at 2, and were beaten 4-2 - we were ****e.
    Anyway, before KO, one of the lads said it was 3-1, and i honestly thought "that's great, should close it out".
    At full time in our game i genuinely thought the lads were taking the piss when they said 4-4, wouldn't believe them till i heard it on radio.

Match of the Day2 should be painful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think I would rather watch Fair City then watch highlights of that later.

I think I'm going to have a hangover from this result tomorrow.

There are so many "why's" that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Watching the city game on my Xbox, I see mikeys online, cod later is a good plan.

Anyways, don't city have to go to Newcastle? Fancy Newcastle to at least draw that one.

Oh sorry man, I was on Netflix. I ended up watching 'Good Will Hunting' because a) I somehow managed to miss it through the years, and b) Manchester United made me so angry, that type of angry where you are totally silent and still, but even the slightest thing could have sent me on a killing rampage. I figured the best thing to do was totally detach myself from football, I decided myself that City had won 5-0 and that I was going to watch this film. Really enjoyed it. Knew it was great but never got around to it, and it was indeed brilliant. Also, if I was to play, of ALL games, Modern Warfare 3 after watching what happened earlier, I would be on the Six One News having massacred Tesco in Bray.

Vanbis wrote: »
    I thought Carrick and Scholes both played well but there to many holes and space in midfield for Everton.

Big game Monday week and all the pressure will be on Man City to come out and get result. I can see us sitting back and trying to catching them on break. One plus today was Nani looked to be back in some sort of form.
    When someone needs a win against United in a similar situation we are in now win with City, people expect us to sit back, soak up the pressure and break at them on the counter attack - a very obvious tactic, it has to be said - but typically United tend to surprise the opposition and try and hit them fast from the start as it tends to startle opponents who were set up to attack. This works quite a bit I notice, I remember it was employed against Chelsea this time last year and we had them on the ropes, I know we got the early goal through Javier, but we did keep pressing forward and we eventually got a second after that; only then did we start to sit back a bit and try to counter.
    Although, we're away from home this time, I wouldn't put it past them doing the same.

I'm no fan of coincidences or omens or anything like that (although I did enjoy the films...) but wasn't that Chelsea game the third last fixture of the season with the same points difference? Hopefully that pile of superstitious nonsense works in our favour. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

This gif sums up when the 4th Everton goal went in.

are-you-shtting-me-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-149.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

De Gea
    Smalling-Rio-Evans-Evra
    Val-Carrick-Scholes-Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

Let's have City. No point in sitting back & waiting to get beat. If we go for a draw, we'll lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    This hasn't sunk yet. I reckon around 8 or 9 o clock tonight my fist is going to put a dint in my living room wall.

I'm off to the shop for some crisps...

ouch

Samich wrote: »
    This gif sums up when the 4th Everton goal went in.

are-you-shtting-me-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-149.gif

ARGH! And I'm feckin' Jags fan aswell! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Remember telling yous before ages ago, but when United drew 3-3 with Everton in 2010 I got so annoyed, I told my dog to shut up, even though he was lying in his bed doing nothing and then stormed out of the room :pac:

• Advertisement

Rooney10 wrote: »
    No point in sitting back & waiting to get beat. If we go for a draw, we'll lose.

This.

we still have the advantage and its a must win for City, the pressure on them will also be massive and if we can come firing straight out of the blocks and grab an early goal it should really unsettle them and throw any gameplan they had out the window while giving us a security blanket to play a little counter attack football, which we will be doing most of the time.

I think its vital to start as quick as possible and get into them early, the media and plenty of fans expect them to win, this makes them favorites and hopefully they will start to believe over the course of the week that they will walk over us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've pushed the result to the back of my mind so I think I'll focus on the positives from today going forward.

As bad as he was in the first half, Welbeck was absolutely unbelievable in the second half. A few more performances like that and if he can keep a cool head in front of goal, which I always believed he had the potential to and that he'd eventually work out his finishing woes it bodes well for the future.

Nani was great and while a couple of his crosses were wayward the ones he got right were fantastic quality. He took his goal brilliantly too. It's a shame Valo had his worst game in a while as some of the movement in the second half was great.

Rooney kept up his good goal poaching too.

It bodes well from an offensive point of view, which is the opposite to what has gotten United to the top of the table in the second half of the season.

We're still favorites, as obviously there's a greater chance of a draw or Utd win (~8/13) than there is of a City win (~6/5) next Monday.

I think we'll sit back and try to make things tight for the first 20 mins. The longer the game goes without City scoring, the more risks they will take, and we do have the players to hurt them on the break. Thank God Welbeck, Rooney and Nani are in a bit of form, there's definitely a goal or two in it for us. We just need to defend ****ing properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Reassure me everything will be ok.

This collapse is so un-United like

Just had a terrible thought that Tevez could score an injury time winner next week.

Please God just don't let it happen.

If we set up to defend though I have no faith in the teams ability to do that, handing the initiative to City like that would be suicidal imo. They are simply too good and more so at home to try to soak up their pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Blatter wrote: »
    Just had a terrible thought that Tevez could score an injury time winner next week.

Please God just don't let it happen.

Ah for jaysus sake, that's put me off me roast beef sandwich.

Liam O wrote: »
    I feel Welbeck may be being slightly overrated in here, there have been plenty of games where I thought he was mediocre and he was being praised profusely in here. He's a bit gunshy and seems to overplay it a lot. I think when him and Rooney play together while they link up well on occasion I think they get in each other's way a lot. He's still quite young though and has very good potential, I just don't see him ever being a world class player. Very good yes, and a great 3rd/4th option but not as the spearhead of one of the best teams in the world...
    Liam O wrote: »
    Welbeck was absolutely unbelievable in the second half. A few more performances like that and if he can keep a cool head in front of goal, which I always believed he had the potential to and that he'd eventually work out his finishing woes it bodes well for the future.

Ah now Liam.

:pac:

kryogen wrote: »
    If we set up to defend though I have no faith in the teams ability to do that, handing the initiative to City like that would be suicidal imo. They are simply too good and more so at home to try to soak up their pressure.

We did it in the FA Cup to an extent although Obviously the early sending off changed that.

But for the first 10 minutes we sat back very deep and just defended, then hit them on the counter. We looked fairly comfortable it has to be said but obviously 10 minutes is far too small of a sample.

I think the team will be pretty much the same as the one today, with maybe Jones or Smalling at right back which is probably needed imo and Rooney playing far deeper (which he should have done today when we went 3-1 up, massive mistake not to) I am not at all confident of our side's ability to defend set pieces or high balls, it's a serious weak point of the team.

Overall I think we will play as we usually do but just deeper, and more compact. Our aim will be to win the game and we don't want to be completely changing our style as that really would be handing the initiative to City.

I think bringing Smalling in for Raf would be ok with me actually, would add to the aerial part of the team and he is quality anyway.

Valencia and Nani to start are a must for me, Young to be brought on later when the game opens a bit more for one of his Fifa 12 curling stunners :)

If Tevez scores the winner I will need a new, TV, laptop, PS3 and most likely, place to live.

I have the rope ready for if when Tevez scores the winner.

These things are just written in the stars sometimes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement