Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Blatter wrote: »
    We're still favorites, as obviously there's a greater chance of a draw or Utd win (~8/13) than there is of a City win (~6/5) next Monday.

Where are you getting those odds? United are not favourites to beat us at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Scuba Ste wrote: »

Its the United double chance, read the post again! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I know, never said we were. The odds I gave were for a Utd win and draw vs odds of a City win, with the former having the greater likelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

We're still favorites, as obviously there's a greater chance of a draw or Utd win (~8/13) than there is of a City win (~6/5) next Monday.

To win the league......
    Or maybe I got it wrong too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

kryogen wrote: »
    I think bringing Smalling in for Raf would be ok with me actually, would add to the aerial part of the team and he is quality anyway.

Valencia and Nani to start are a must for me, Young to be brought on later when the game opens a bit more for one of his Fifa 12 curling stunners :)

If Tevez scores the winner I will need a new, TV, laptop, PS3 and most likely, place to live.

a) Chris Smalling should be playing at RB whenever available imo. Remember how god damn good he was when we were unreal at the start of the season? Get him in.

b) Valencia and Nani, 100%. Nani was world class today.

c) If Carlos Tevez scores the winner and City go on to win the league I actually think I am going to try and quit football, and take up smoking. Would be far better for my health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rafael had a bad game, very bad game, let's not just drop him though for good. I think he's been better than Smalling was. Also his fight will be vital in the derby game.

I think frankly, we can't play Carrick and Scholes alone against City. I think we need a 3rd midfielder in there. I think their midfield will piss all over Carrick and Scholes and utterly dominate the game. Maybe Rooney can do a job, but I'd prefer to stick Park or Giggs in there to be honest.

Draw and the title is ours. City have a much better first 11 than us when it comes to big games right now. United are fantastic in the league, but against any decent footballing side this year, we've massively struggled in the middle. If Carrick doesn't perform, that's it, game lost. We need to suffocate, and then rely on a bit of magic from Valencia or Nani, with Rooney up front. Stuff the middle, frustrate and hit on the break.

Sad that it's come to this, but it's the best strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Park in the middle will be like not having a 3rd man in the middle, unless you do a make him mark Toure job, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

A 3 man midfield is a definite for Middle-Eastlands.
    But I will be fair p1ssed off if Utd have both Scholes and Giggs playing in midfield.
    It is gonna be a very high tempo game in the middle of the park I am not sure if it will suit Scholes tbh.
    I also don't want Rooney in midfield. I want him as the loan striker. That said Wellbeck a had a great second half today.

Probable lineup?
    DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick---Scholes
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Nani
    Wellbeck

I would not dismisdd Smalling for Rafael due to Smallings height for corners etc.
    I wouldn't rule Jones out of a midfield start either. I think we could be going there looking for the draw instead of fighting for all 3 points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

killwill wrote: »
    A 3 man midfield is a definite for Middle-Eastlands.
    But I will be fair p1ssed off if Utd have both Scholes and Giggs playing in midfield.
    It is gonna be a very high tempo game in the middle of the park I am not sure if it will suit Scholes tbh.
    I also don't want Rooney in midfield. I want him as the loan striker. That said Wellbeck a had a great second half today.

Probable lineup?
    DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick---Scholes
    Valencia
    Rooney
    Nani
    Wellbeck

I would not dismisdd Smalling for Rafael due to Smallings height for corners etc.
    I wouldn't rule Jones out of a midfield start either. I think we could be going there looking for the draw instead of fighting for all 3 points

DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick---Scholes
    Valencia
    Young
    Nani
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

• Advertisement

DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick---Scholes
    Valencia
    Young
    Nani
    Rooney

Yeah, I fancied that lineup but thought Young in the hole was way too offensive tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

My team to play City would be more like

DDG
    Raf
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Scholes
    Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

I suppose it would be like our old 4411 type thing, but basically I want a 4231 with Rooney advancing in possession and dropping back without possession, leave Carrick as far back as possible to shield the defence.

if we play that formation we will get beat, we need an extra body in midfield like we did v blackburn away, id prefer rooney as the sole striker and swap wellbeck for jones in midfield, we will get chances especially if it stays nil all for much of the game because city will need to take risks to try and breaks us down, playing 433 is idea for the counter attack, if its still level with 20 mins to go id take valencia off for young and put nani on the right, young on the left.As good as valencia is nan and young have more goals in them

Eathrin wrote: »

Terrible first touch!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Wish we had Fletch for this upcoming match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Its the United double chance, read the post again! ;)
    I know, never said we were. The odds I gave were for a Utd win and draw vs odds of a City win, with the former having the greater likelihood.

No idea what any of that means but ok. Thank god I don't bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Would people be adverse to playing Valencia at RB?

Team along lines of

DDG
    Valencia - Ferdinand - Evans - Evra (God forbid)
    Carrick - Scholes - Jones
    Nani - Rooney - Welbeck

Valencia/Nani would be able to exploit space left by Clichy/Kolarov bombing forward.

Fletcher would have been just what was needed for midfield here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't see us playing Rooney as the lone striker at all.

Can somebody tell me the last time he, or indeed the team played well when Rooney was up front on his own? I think he can be quality there given a run of games so he gets used to it again, but anytime he has played there in the last couple of seasons he has been poor imo. Benfica, Basel and Bilbao away are the games from this season where he has played there, and it didn't work out. He lacks that quick burst of pace to get in behind defenses like for example Aguero had been doing all game against Wolves. He is much better suited in a deeper position, where he can dictate the game.

I think it'll be the same team as today bar maybe a change at right back and Rooney being told to play deeper and be far more disciplined.

@G.K

I don't think there's an chance of Valencia starting at right back but he'll be put there and Young brought on if we're losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

G.K. wrote: »
    Would people be adverse to playing Valencia at RB?

Team along lines of

DDG
    Valencia - Ferdinand - Evans - Evra (God forbid)
    Carrick - Scholes - Jones
    Nani - Rooney - Welbeck

Valencia/Nani would be able to exploit space left by Clichy/Kolarov bombing forward.

Fletcher would have been just what was needed for midfield here.

Valencia at RB would be a disaster imo. His lack of a left foot is really exposed in that position. If he turns back onto his left he turns to stone.

As said above it might be an option later on in the game. He's better than almost anyone at attacking from that deep.

I really don't want to see Jones in CM. His skill on the ball would be exposed as well. Great at defending and marking the men but god help us if he finds himself on the edge of the box with the ball at his feet. Anything could happen. Maybe a holding midfielder position would suit him. Don't think he should play any further forward than that.

Any of ye follow RAWK meltdown on twitter??
    He tweets posts from RAWK,mainly bitterness from the mental cases that the likes of it and redcafe and bluemoon etc attract but this one had me in stitches....
    uve3A+9P_original.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Any of ye follow RAWK meltdown on twitter??
    He tweets posts from RAWK,mainly bitterness from the mental cases that the likes of it and redcafe and bluemoon etc attract but this one had me in stitches....
    uve3A+9P_original.jpg

He must like the taste of mediocre sh1te:pac:

Some of the stuff on RAWK is comedy gold,the amount of delusion and weirdness posted there is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pff, even Woy getting one over on them couldn't raise a smile today.

Not often a football result brings me down but that bottle job today left me sour. Such a shame too because we scored some lovely goals but threw it all away.

Fúcking football...

zerks wrote: »
    Some of the stuff on RAWK is comedy gold,the amount of delusion and weirdness posted there is hilarious.
    I've had a look at it before out of curiosity,it wasn't as bad as I expected to be honest.
    That fella just trawls through it and picks out the worst of it,some of the stuff he tweets is just deranged ramblings.
    That one really got me though :)
    I had tea coming down my nose from laughing....I nearly drowned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

J. Marston wrote: »
    Pff, even Woy getting one over on them couldn't raise a smile today.

Not often a football result brings me down but that bottle job today left me sour. Such a shame too because we scored some lovely goals but threw it all away.

Fúcking football...

Woy has the same amount of wins at Anfield in 2012 as Kenny: 1

I need something to cheer me up after today's result.

Is it weird that since the final whistle I've been visualising us beating City next week? I hope it's a premonition.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Decided to wait a few hours after the match before posting, biggest let down of a game in some time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified about next Monday!

This United team has seemed very un-United like at times. In Europe we were mixture of arrogant complacency and pure ****e. When pressed by opposition we don't appear capable of responding. And while many are saying Newcastle will take something off City even if they beat us, I can't agree. I think City will be pumped up enough if they beat us to beat Newcastle.

Still, 3 points clear and 3 games to go isn't a bad position at all! Even if we have made a complete ****-up of an 8 point lead with 5 games to go!

Also I think the PFA Premier League XI puts things in context... one Utd player (Rooney), think that sums up the past 2 years. Top of the league against all logic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

If Tevez scores the winner next week, I'll... well, I'll most likely sit there stoically since if I damage anything my parents will kick me out of the house. But inside, inside I'll be on a rampage :pac:

DB21 wrote: »
    If Tevez scores the winner next week, I'll... well, I'll most likely sit there stoically since if I damage anything my parents will kick me out of the house. But inside, inside I'll be on a rampage :pac:

If he scores the winner I'm gonna find a dog and finish off what was started all those years ago in Argentina!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ah now Liam.

:pac:
    Point still stands, I believe he has the potential to be a good finisher/at least better than he has been recently from what I've seen from him when he's confident. Still think he wont ever be world class. A great second/third striker but never the guy. No shame in it either and he could still be a United legend, just not a Rooney/Cavani/Drogba etc. level player.

POSSY wrote: »
    Also I think the PFA Premier League XI puts things in context... one Utd player (Rooney), think that sums up the past 2 years. Top of the league against all logic!

Maybe so but these teams shouldn't be taken seriously. The voting is a joke. It's done late February. At that stage City were still top and Spurs were there or thereabouts.

The way the voting is they miss out someone like Evans' recent performances. I'm sure the majority of them still thought that DDG was a joke when they voted.

I think Nani was unlucky to miss out. If he hadn't gotten injured and was in the team for the whole season then he'd have gotten in there I think ahead of Bale. He has missed 8/9 games this season and he's only one goal behind Bale and has more assists I think.

The Football Writer's award is generally a better chosen I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Poor result for us today West Brom lads. Hopefully we can pick ourselves up for the cup final.

• Advertisement

Poor result for us today West Brom lads. Hopefully we can pick ourselves up for the cup final.

bookert_wrongthread.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads simple question go for the win or play for the draw?

Go for the win, but with a 5 man midfield. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Go for the win, end the title right there and then.

Dont go all guns blazing obviously, but the team has got try to win, it takes incredible discipline, defensive solidity and luck to go somewhere to play for a draw and get it.

Call me crazy, but I wish Pogba was fit, I'd almost start him in the middle with Carrick & Scholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Whats the story with T-Clev, injured again? He wasn't even on the bench yesterday...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

doing it the hard way, but thats the united way. 3 of our goals were sublime yesterday, the 4 we conceeded were poor. reminds me of the start of the season, great going forward, but wide open and awful at the back. rio and evans both had their worst games of the season, rafael was poor also. evra not much better, but the best of a bad lot. fergie had very poor tactics of having him track osman inside, which left loads of room for hibbert, however nani didn track him 3 times, from which they scored twice.

left the stadium with a sickness in my stomach, however...had we said after loosing to newcastle that we would go into the game at eastlands with a 3 point advantage, we would have taken it, with bells on it.

its still advantage us, but now we need a draw next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

doing it the hard way, but thats the united way.

Anyone else sick of hearing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

After yesterdays performance I don't think we can get a result next week, I would play Young instead of Nani, even if he dives. Cant see Hernandez staying if he's not getting a regular game, lots of teams on the continent would snap him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trilla wrote: »

why? every year we do it like this, with the exception of probably 2001. we drop points we shouldnt drop.

get over it ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

After yesterdays performance I don't think we can get a result next week, I would play Young instead of Nani, even if he dives. Cant see Hernandez staying if he's not getting a regular game, lots of teams on the continent would snap him up.

Drop Nani who set up 2 goals and scored another ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah not like Nani was a creative force yesterday...

if anyones dropped it should be Valencia, that said, the 2 best wingers at the club should play City and Young isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

why? every year we do it like this, with the exception of probably 2001. we drop points we shouldnt drop.

get over it ffs!

Was over yesterday and was in shock for most of yesterday afternoon. Threw that game away. Only saving grace was that I got out of Manchester on a 4:30 flight. Dreading this game next Monday

why? every year we do it like this, with the exception of probably 2001.

Never said it doesn't happen the majority of times I'm just sick hearing it all the time that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it also makes it sound like the team do it on purpose :p

SlickRic wrote: »
    it also makes it sound like the team do it on purpose :p

Yep, the "United way"! I think that's the annoying thing about it. Ah tbh I'm not that annoyed to feel the need to "get over it", but it is written an awful lot. Also I'm in a bad mood due to yesterday so apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

still sick to the core,have stated allready that i think saf should have changed it at 4-2.

we nee a major influx in our midfield,a warrior in your face type player and a midfielder who has the ability to run at defenses and pick a pass,scholes is one of the reasons we are in this position but he doesn't drive forward anymore picks his pass(very well) but we really do lack that penetration threw the middle.

that said i believe we can beat city next week,they were poor enough again yesterday.

also valencia has been played very well recently with the full backs constantly pushing him inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

doing it the hard way, but thats the united way.

I'm not sick of hearing it.... I'm sick of it being true. At least there is a "United way", because we do tend to get things done.

Sorry, what? Is this post a wind up?

In the last two games he's got 2 assists, and scored 2 goals (and only played half an hour against Villa). He is on form, and a better player than Young, but you want to drop him? :confused::confused:

And can't see Hernandez staying? Despite him in every interview saying how lucky he feels to be at the club, and how greatful he is to United & Fergie? He's only 23. Do you honestly think the club would sell him, or that he'd really want to leave? :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lots of different points, strongly disagree with every single one. Did you not see Hernandez celebrating Wellbecks goal yesterday?

Anyways, it's Monday morning and I'm a ball of nerves every time I think about the City game next week. More than either of the last 2 Champions League final. I do think United can get a draw, and I have a feeling that Nani is going to be a key player for us on the day.

• Advertisement

If Cleverley's fit should he start against City instead of Giggs? (Assuming it'll be a Carrick/Scholes/Giggs MF).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement