Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Andrew Marriner averages the same amount of yellows per game as Howard Webb and is a bit shy of twice as many reds.

Marriner averages 1 red every 5 games. Hes on a run of 6 matches without giving a red card. His longest run this season is 7 matches.

Averages suggest he is due to give a red! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If nobody tells Mancini he has won it, he will just deny it anyway - job done! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

J. Marston wrote: »
    Besides the Welbeck penalty against Chelsea this season and the Berbatov penalty last year against Liverpool in the FA Cup (which was a penalty), what controversial decisions has Webb given for us that lead idiots to think that he's in our pocket?

it's just a cliché that has been said enough that it's just become part of the football fan's psyche.

a bit like the idea of "mind games". they don't exist, but if it's said often enough, people will believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    has it before?

is there any reason to believe it would happen again?

he's a professional whose not actually biased, and this perceived bias has been around for years at this stage, and it's never affected anything as far as I've ever been able to tell.

The last game we had him, against Blackburn, he gave them a free kick on the edge of the box even though Scholes cleanly won the ball, and he didn't send a Blackburn player off for a blatant elbow on Scholes iirc. There was a couple of other fifty fifty decisions he gave to Blackburn as well.

Last season in that big game against Chelsea, Lampard handled Valencia's cross quite blatantly yet no penalty was given. He did't send off Ivanovic either despite being on a yellow and putting in another late, and poor challenge.

He's obviously given us decisions as well, so maybe he's just not that good of a ref but to be perfectly honest with you I'd worry about the public perception of him being pro Utd playing on his mind in such a massive game. Just imagine the **** he'd have to put up with if he gave us a dodgy penalty? That fear could easily make him hesitate in giving a legitimate claim. He is only human after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

SlickRic wrote: »
    a bit like the idea of "mind games". they don't exist, but if it's said often enough, people will believe it.
    They do exist,the myth is that managers take any notice of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think its just safe to say that it is better for all parties, United, City and Webb that he has not been given the game for various reasons.

Did Marriner do the Charity Shield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I think it was the awful Phil Dowd?

Ah Philly, what a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Vidic is our rock at the back. Kompany is City's. Where would you think City would be without Kompany for the season?

2nd probably, as long as they kept Lescott fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

kryogen wrote: »
    I think its just safe to say that it is better for all parties, United, City and Webb that he has not been given the game for various reasons.

Disagree. Why pander to the idiots? Webb has made some shocking decisions against us over the years. You cannot allow a perception that is demonstrably false to prevent your best ref from reffing the top matches. United's matches are the biggest in England. It would be incredibly harsh on Webb, given the career he has had, to not be given the biggest matches in order to satisfy the tin-foil hatters.

Disagree. Why pander to the idiots? Webb has made some shocking decisions against us over the years. You cannot allow a perception that is demonstrably false to prevent your best ref from reffing the top matches. United's matches are the biggest in England. It would be incredibly harsh on Webb, given the career he has, to not be given the biggest matches in order to satisfy the tin-foil hatters.

But Webb is not the best man for the job, he regularly makes big errors now and although at one point I would have agreed he was the best ref, I really can't now.

It is best for United because he has made poor mistakes in our recent games while he was reffing, it is best for City because, well they will think its better that he is not reffing the game so I was just going off that, and its best for Webb because he is going to get a break from the constant ****e he has to deal with for being pro United/ anti United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

But Webb is not the best man for the job, he regularly makes big errors now and although at one point I would have agreed he was the best ref, I really can't now.

It is best for United because he has made poor mistakes in our recent games while he was reffing, it is best for City because, well they will think its better that he is not reffing the game so I was just going off that, and its best for Webb because he is going to get a break from the constant ****e he has to deal with for being pro United/ anti United

I still think he's the best ref in England. The FA do too and so do FIFA. It's very hard to say that he isn't the best man for the job based on his mistakes only. Basically, is there anyone better who doesn't make as many mistakes? For many, being the best ref in England is like winning a tallest dwarf competition. Webb is the tallest dwarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To me next weeks game against City is biggest game for me since Munich in 1999.

I be one nervous wreck next Monday.

One thing I am glad about though that if City do go onto win the league the United fans on boards never counted said league was over when it was 8 points, they cant come back to bite us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

On paper, the City/United game is set up to be a great contest. City are at home and need three points and United never play for a draw. With Aguero and Tevez on form, I can see City winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

To me it is the biggest game since Barca last year.

I wouldnt put a league decider on the same pedastal as our first Champions League final for 30 odd years and the chance to complete The Treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

One thing I am glad about though that if City do go onto win the league the United fans on boards never counted said league was over when it was 8 points, they cant come back to bite us.

I think the odd one did. I remember posting how easily things could change, at the time. Little did I thnk or want it to come true. :(

It's not really that big though. It's big, but there has been bigger games.

If City win they are still not guaranteed of the title by any means because of that Newcastle away game the week after (which will not be easy regardless of the incentives for City), and even QPR at home on the final day are much improved and won't be easy although you'd expect them to win that.

So it's not quite a winner takes it all game. If we win it's over, if City win they'll be favorites but not nailed on favorites, it'd still be in the balance somewhat.

adox wrote: »
    I think the odd one did. I remember posting how easily things could change, at the time. Little did I thnk or want it to come true. :(

We were something like 1/40 on, it was practically over especially the way City were playing the the fixtures we had compared to theirs. I don't think you will have found a City fan or a neutral that would have said it wasn't practically over.

I don't think anyone envisaged us losing to Wigan and drawing with Everton while City turned the corner in a fairly big way, in the space of a couple of weeks.

But I guess that's football and why so many love the sport eh.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    It's not really that big though. It's big, but there has been bigger games.

Oh it's big, very big game. In fact it's huge game.

Make no mistake about it.

It's not winner takes it all though, which are the biggest games.

Obviously it's a big game but it's not by any means a decider from City's point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The thing I like about Webb is that he asserts his personality on the game and sets out his stall early that he wont stand for players crowding around him. Doesn't even generally have to book players to assert his will on the game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Andy Townsend commenting yesterday that he reckons it is Fergusons biggest most important PL game to date.

He said it's so important UTD don't let City win the league as then it could be the end of an era as City will just go from strength to strength .

Personally I dont think not winning the league this season will stop City's rise if it's going to happen in anyways .

City winning the league this year or not won't change a whole lot for the seasons to come. Andy Townsend is just talking bollocks.

People said the same thing when Chelsea won the league in 05. They have only won it twice since.

It's pretty much impossible to predict what will happen in the future, we'd all be millionaires if we could do that. The only thing that i'd be fairly confident about is that United, City and Chelsea will all be viable contenders for the title over the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

What about Utd Celsea 2009? Surely that was bigger than this one

City winning the league this year or not won't change a whole lot for the seasons to come. Andy Townsend is just talking bollocks.

People said the same thing when Chelsea won the league in 05. They have only won it twice since.

It's pretty much impossible to predict what will happen in the future, we'd all be millionaires if we could do that. The only thing that i'd be fairly confident about is that United, City and Chelsea will all be viable contenders for the title over the next 5-10 years.

Your spot on. Same was said about English teams not dominating Europe around 2007 and 08 when English teams were getting to finals for fun and now look at situation.

But I still see where some people are coming from when they say this is United biggest game in PL for some time.

To my Uncles and Aunt who lived around Manchester all their lives this is bigger then any treble and more then just going for number 20.

This is about shutting up those noisy neighbours, a team that if they do go onto win the league will set them up for more I have no doubt about it. It may only be a matter of time before they win the league with the money been poured into them, but **** it I rather it wait another year at least before it happens.

At least if we stop them this year we can put doubts on them in the future.

parc wrote: »
    What about Utd Celsea 2009? Surely that was bigger than this one

do you mean CL Final in 08?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

do you mean CL Final in 08?

oops yes actually

parc wrote: »
    oops yes actually

to me even though it was CL final the PL is number one for me so yes this is bigger game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

to me even though it was CL final the PL is number one for me so yes this is bigger game.

This is the biggest league game we have had in years. What distinguishes it from other massive games against title rivals is that a) its against our city rivals and b) its so close to the end of the season with just 3 points between us (making it a different scenario to the Chelsea match last year for example).

However, imo its not on the same scale as the one-off finals we have has in the last few years. The matches in Moscow, Rome and Wembley were bigger than this one as the trophy would be won on the night (not the case in this league match no matter what the outcome).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

https://twitter.com/#!/GuillemBalague/status/194506278347866112

What do we think on here? I think he is a thug personally. I also dont think he would consider us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

What do we think on here? I think he is a thug personally. I also dont think he would consider us.

Dont want or need him

We have Vidic, Smalling, Rio and Evans.

We dont need him and the trouble he brings with him.

The rumour is obviously nonsense but I think he's a quality player. Prone to moments of madness but shows a lot of passion for the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

We have Vidic, Smalling, Rio and Evans.

And Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

If City win they are still not guaranteed of the title by any means because of that Newcastle away game the week after (which will not be easy regardless of the incentives for City), and even QPR at home on the final day are much improved and won't be easy although you'd expect them to win that.

So it's not quite a winner takes it all game. If we win it's over, if City win they'll be favorites but not nailed on favorites, it'd still be in the balance somewhat.

Realistically neither team can afford to treat it like a game they can lose. I think the winner will go on to win the league, the morale boost will be huge.

In the event of a draw, Utd are favourites, but Swansea and Sunderland will not be easy games either.

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Realistically neither team can afford to treat it like a game they can lose. I think the winner will go on to win the league, the morale boost will be huge.

In the event of a draw, Utd are favourites, but Swansea and Sunderland will not be easy games either.

Oh I agree, we have to be going into it thinking we have to get something. But all I'm saying is that if we don't, the game isn't up yet by any means. If we draw, we'll be overwhelming favorites because we could afford to drop another 2 points in our last 2 games. If we win it's practically over. If City win they're in the driving seat but going to St James Park having to win is not a place where they want to be second last game of the season, especially with their away record since Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

so a week from today, we'll either be very smug, or devestated....
    This game just cannot come quickly enough. I'm excited about it.... Nervous, but excited... Last time I remember feeling like this about one game was the 08 Champions League Final.
    And the fact that there's such a long wait from the previous game is only adding to the tension for me!

Bring it on!

• Advertisement

alproctor wrote: »
    so a week from today, we'll either be very smug, or devestated....
    This game just cannot come quickly enough. I'm excited about it.... Nervous, but excited... Last time I remember feeling like this about one game was the 08 Champions League Final.
    And the fact that there's such a long wait from the previous game is only adding to the tension for me!

Bring it on!

Dam right.

Next Monday night will be what a football fan is all about.

The Pepe thing is simply bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

God no Pepe can stay where he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think this has been a brilliant premier league season. How do you think it ranks for excitement amongst others?

Newcastle, Spurs up with the best. Chelsea, Liverpool faltering, a surge from Arsenal, late surges from bottom clubs. Been brilliant tbf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Pepe thing is simply bizarre

It's Guillem Balague. I've never seen another person talk as much spray in my entire life.

I know of a guy who claimed to have won an u-14 county final for his team when he was only 11 by coming on with 5 minutes left and a broken arm to boot and he somehow managed to score the winning goal. Balague is worse than that chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Hunter is a lot better then him. I honestly think Guillem just makes things up for the laugh of it.

I wouldnt be surprised next year he brings this up, to somehow prove him obsession that La Liga is better then the premier league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

People saying no to Pepe know little about football. The guy is class. One of the quickest players I've ever seen. I don't care if he is a little dirty. United did quite well with Roy. As for comparing Jones and Evans to him. Whoever said that is fücked in the head. I'd flog the two of them for him.

Blagger is a blowhard so unfortunately it is probably büllshîte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Folks, folks, Guilleme said "A newspaper called Record", Ballague didn't say it himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

It's Guillem Balague. I've never seen another person talk as much spray in my entire life.

I know of a guy who claimed to have won an u-14 county final for his team when he was only 11 by coming on with 5 minutes left and a broken arm to boot and he somehow managed to score the winning goal. Balague is worse than that chap.

To be fair a lot of players are worse than that guy. Any mn who plays with a broken arm three years under age is some player.

Balague is saying a newspaper is running the story, i think.... rather then his usual tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We should sing him, a winger and a forward in the summer and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement