Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He starts for Germany and Real Madrid. He's good.

That is so alright, yet he leaves me underwhelmed anyway, funny eh!

I believe his position in the German team is under question though btw, being pressed by a couple of players for his position.

Im not saying the guy is not good, Im saying Im underwhelmed by him, dont think he has progressed much since I first noticed him, and why I asked what is the point of him, thats in relation to, should he really be starting for Madrid? Is there a need for him there?

Its off topic really so dont wanna drag this out any longer.

People have different opinions on players, its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Khedira is decent but not a patch on sveinsteiger imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Liam O wrote: »
    Trust me, if Khedira was at United you'd see what his 'point' is.
    I wouldn't be so sure, many people still don't see what Michael Carrick brings to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Owen_S wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure, many people still don't see what Michael Carrick brings to the team.

I used to be among those people but can now say that I can see the light. Great central midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Khedira is a ball winner, box-to-box type midfielder imho. Hes passing is soild and I think he offers a good foil to the play making abilitys of alonso. He will never be the star of the team but I do think he is an important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Anyone else raise an eyebrow at the Pep news? Think hes a fantastic manager, genuine 'nice guy' and I personally would love to see him at Old Trafford, certainly ahead of Mourinho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fenix wrote: »
    Anyone else raise an eyebrow at the Pep news? Think hes a fantastic manager, genuine 'nice guy' and I personally would love to see him at Old Trafford, certainly ahead of Mourinho.
    There's absolutely no contest between Pep or Jose, Jose wins hands down. If Pep can go on to manage other teams and have some level of success then I'd welcome him at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

pep inherited one of the best teams of all time, with a player just starting to become the best of all time.

would be interesting to see how he gets on with a team without xavi, iniesta and messi.

his style of football is excellent, but that wont be possible with just any team.

Anybody watching the reserve match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

In a strange way pep is an unproven manager. As others have said he inherited the most complete attacking team most of us have seen. But he failed to build a reliable defence and he has no plan b. I d be genuinely worried if he got the united job. I d actually prefer a manager like moyes who makes the best of what he has, is a good motivator, would provide a semblance of continuity and has faith in his academy.

• Advertisement

Reserves won 2-0 Petrucci got first, didnt see second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

kryogen wrote: »
    Reserves won 2-0 Petrucci got first, didnt see second

Larnell Cole with the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

n32 wrote: »
    In a strange way pep is an unproven manager. As others have said he inherited the most complete attacking team most of us have seen. But he failed to build a reliable defence and he has no plan b. I d be genuinely worried if he got the united job. I d actually prefer a manager like moyes who makes the best of what he has, is a good motivator, would provide a semblance of continuity and has faith in his academy.

I think people are too quick to write Pep off and say anyone could do that. Sure he's got great resources but he does great things with them.
    Also I think G.K wrote a blog post a while back about how Pep utilised a very young academy team in the CL not too long ago and destroyed their opponents in the process, so he's not unopen to youth development either by the looks of things.
    I couldn't be happier if either himself or Moyes got the job. Moyes is proven with limited resources, Pep is proven given fantastic resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pep is certainly not one of those managers who eschews youth. Pedro, Thiago, Cuenca, Fontas, Tello, Montoya and Busquets have had significant gametime, and there are plenty more who've had multiple appearences.

I do not want David Moyes near the job personally, United cant afford to start seasons slowly, and though it obviously isnt all down to him, Everton have never started a season well. He has never had his team primed for the kick off and thats a worry when it comes to big clubs. You cannot be slow starting or you will simply be an also ran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hargreaves being released by City at the end of the season. Doubt any other top club will take a risk on him. ( unless some pay as you play deal at a relegated Villa )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

575554_348775298520723_281049331959987_985822_1789570204_n.jpg

Unsure of what formation id pick for monday as of yet

It will not be an orthodox 442, I can pretty much assure you of that!

I wouldn't put it past SAF to include Park in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

G.K. wrote: »

I'd rather Fletcher in cm right now as he is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

575554_348775298520723_281049331959987_985822_1789570204_n.jpg

Unsure of what formation id pick for monday as of yet

I think 433/451 is a must.

Eathrin wrote: »
    I'd rather Fletcher in cm right now as he is tbh.

So would I tbh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

G.K. wrote: »

I would. If I see Park's name on the team sheet on Monday I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch the game :pac:

James Ducker saying Evans hasn't trained all week. Thankfully Smalling is fit. Evans would be a blow but at least we'd be less vulnerable from set pieces if Smalling plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blatter wrote: »
    I would. If I see Park's name on the team sheet on Monday I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch the game :pac:

James Ducker saying Evans hasn't trained all week. Thankfully Smalling is fit. Evans would be a blow but at least we'd be less vulnerable from set pieces if Smalling plays.

was hoping that we'd be playing Smalling at RB as Rafael had a shocker there vs Everton and we can't afford that again. If Smalling is playing CB, I imagine it will be Jones at RB.

Don't want Park or Giggs anywhere near the starting line up on Monday night - both have been rubbish in general play lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Finally got around to setting up the player ratings for the Everton game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGt5MFhUbHZ4cy1la1B6WlBCbE44OVE6MQ#gid=0

Will leave it open til kickoff on Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There's absolutely no contest between Pep or Jose, Jose wins hands down. If Pep can go on to manage other teams and have some level of success then I'd welcome him at Old Trafford.

I'm of the other opinion that Pep has already proven that he can do it and has done it at the highest level. I think the way he has brought through some great young players while at Barca is a testament to himself. Pep made a bona fide attempt at Barca to better the football club.

Mourinho's motives are completely selfish. The show is about him, the cost is any expense and all of his achievements post Porto have been heavily bankrolled. I'd prefer to see Mourinho build a side that required good honest investment. I'm not knocking the guy, he's clearly a great manager. But questions arise over his longevity. Is he willing to re-build a club? He's not in Manchester United's ilk at all. These questions could be asked to Pep too but Mourinho rarely gives youngsters a good run, Callejon being the exception

People have this pipe dream of Mourinho. Even at Madrid the shackles are kept on in big games and has this über defensive style that is often painful to watch that we saw at Chelsea and Inter Milan.

Personally, I'd take Pep. Everyday of the week. I would hate to see Jose Mourinho as the manager of Manchester United.

Sure isnt that why football is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I wouldn't have either mourinho or pep. I would take moyes though. He's done a fantastic job at Everton, the fact that they are ahead of Liverpool, given the money they have spent is unbelievable. Granted they started slow, but how moyes managed to have them so motivated against us with not much to play for was astonishing.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I wouldn't have either mourinho or pep. I would take moyes though. He's done a fantastic job at Everton, the fact that they are ahead of Liverpool, given the money they have spent is unbelievable. Granted they started slow, but how moyes managed to have them so motivated against us with not much to play for was astonishing.

They always start slow, its an every season occurance.

He couldnt motivate them to put in a similar performance in a cup semi final against their local rivals

Taking as little as possible away from Everton against us, they had a pretty big helping hand from us along the way

I like Moyes, I think he is a good manager, but that is not enough for me to want him at United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

How would you guys feel about Guardiloa as next manager ?

I can't see him ending up at Chelsea and I reckon he is probably going on a season or two sabbatical which would put his timing of a return around the timeline of Fergie moving upstairs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Moyes has done well at Everton, but he has never really brought them to the next level.

He's not in the same League as Pep or Mourinho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

carlop wrote: »
    Moyes has done well at Everton, but he has never really brought them to the next level.

He's not in the same League as Pep or Mourinho.

Done well? He's doing an amazing job on a shoestring!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd worry about Moyles. No one can deny hes doing well but it would be a whole different game at United in terms of pressure, expectations, mind games and the likes. At least Pep and Jose have top top level experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

With the big match coming up this monday, I can see fergie trying to play 4-5-1 and maybe bringing in Park, tbh I hope not, i think Park is a work horse but I think we should go 4-4-2 and try win the game, were good enough to do that.

De Gea - Rafael - Evans - Ferdinand - Evra
    Valencia - Scholes - Carrick - Park - Nani
    Rooney

De Gea - Rafael - Evans - Ferdinand - Evra
    Valencia - Scholes - Carrick - Nani
    Rooney - Welbeck

Hernandez - Smalling - Jones - Clevs - Giggs

karma_ wrote: »
    Done well? He's doing an amazing job on a shoestring!

Ok, He's done very well, but he doesn't have experience of the high-pressure involved in managing one of the top clubs. Hodgson had done an amazing job at Fulham, but we saw there that making that step up is very difficult, and given that following Ferguson will be the most pressurised managerial job possibly of all time I think it has to be someone who has experienced the scrutiny and spotlight that only comes at the very top.

was hoping that we'd be playing Smalling at RB as Rafael had a shocker there vs Everton and we can't afford that again. If Smalling is playing CB, I imagine it will be Jones at RB.

Don't want Park or Giggs anywhere near the starting line up on Monday night - both have been rubbish in general play lately.

Rafael usually turns up for the bigger games, thought he performed well against Liverpool, Chelsea and other tough games like Blackburn away.

He switched off against QPR and Everton, which he has a habit of doing. If Evans is out, I'd play him as I don't want Jones and Smalling starting together as they've had very little football between them over the last 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'd worry about Moyles. No one can deny hes doing well but it would be a whole different game at United in terms of pressure, expectations, mind games and the likes. At least Pep and Jose have top top level experience...

But how did they get that experience?

They started small and then someone took a chance on them, thats how!

Moyles has every chance of succeeding at a big club

Yeah but they probably weren't parachuted straight into one of the biggest jobs in world football from a mid-table club.

They would either have come up from within the structures of a big club itself, passed through an intermediary-level club (for example Spurs) or will have won silverware with a smaller club, generally on a consistent basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Personally I dont want to take that big a chance. Obviously any new manager involves risk, but one of the most important characteristics the next manager will need is the ability to deal with the pressure of landing one of thr biggest jobs in football. Pep and Jose have that experience. Moyes doesnt and it could be an expensive risk for us to take...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

carlop wrote: »
    Hodgson had done an amazing job at Fulham, but we saw there that making that step up is very difficult

In fairness to Woy, he was in an impossible situation to begin with.

The reason I'd rather Moyes is that at least he is loyal. Mourihno could come in and be successful for a year or two and then bring his mé féin show elsewhere. I'd rather see someone take over with a long term future at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

fúcking nervous as fúck

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

kryogen wrote: »
    Maybe, anytime I watch him he leaves me distinctly underwhelmed.

Likewise.. and likewise any La Liga or German/Bundesliga fan I know outside of here anyway. In saying that, I really think the EPL would suit him far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Get a big name in (eg Pep/Mourinho) for a couple of seasons and have, for example, Solskjaer as their no.2, with the aim of OGS taking over long term once they decide to move on.

Pep/Mourinho are great managers, but they don't like to hang around for too long, and personally I'd prefer to see someone who has a history with the club taking over long term, as opposed to someone who wants to make their CV look better (Jose).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Khedira looked excellent in the World Cup but never has truly impressed me.

Could be like a Michael Carrick or Gareth Barry, good solid team player that goes un-noticed.

Pep is gone from Barca then, for a years break at least.

Could be a no holds barred steel cage match in the summer of 2014 between Pep and Mourinho for the United job IF Fergie decides to call it a day by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Personally I dont want to take that big a chance. Obviously any new manager involves risk, but one of the most important characteristics the next manager will need is the ability to deal with the pressure of landing one of thr biggest jobs in football. Pep and Jose have that experience. Moyes doesnt and it could be an expensive risk for us to take...

But hasnt Moyles already handled a lot of pressure?
    A club with very limited resources, probably less than a lot of promoted teams ,but still expected to stay within the EPL and finish top half?

Why don't you spell his name right?

You very rarely go from a mid level job to a top job though, huge step

Pep hardly started small did he? Jose didnt really start that small either come to think of it.

AVB has every chance of succeeding at a top club, didn't work out for him at Chelsea though, nobody says what Moyes does at Everton is not worthy of applause, but its a lot different to managing a team expected to win every game.

Hodgson was used as a comparison, and its not a bad one, he has done well for the mid level teams too, look at what he is doing at WBA now too, yet he didn't exactly hit if off at Liverpool.

Too many unanswered questions regarding Moyes for me, someone with experience managing at a higher level then him surely will be given the job of being Fergies direct successor.

But hasnt Moyles already handled a lot of pressure?
    A club with very limited resources, probably less than a lot of promoted teams ,but still expected to stay within the EPL and finish top half?

No, when Moyes has had spells flirting with relegation he has come under no pressure from fans or the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

I wouldn't be so sure about Moyes. He is a good fit for Everton but managing United is completely different. Hodgson is a good example as people have already mentioned.
    Guardiola has been very lucky because he inherited the best team in the world and the best player. That surely played a huge factor in his success but I don't think that means he wouldn't be as successful at another team. Id welcome him at United. Im a fan of Jose but I would be worried that he'd leave after a year or two.

Tbh I reckon Fergie and United have pretty muh settled on his successor at this stage. They must have made plans for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Moyes. God no.

No no no!

That's how I feel about Moyes.

• Advertisement

Moyes' style of football is horrendous to watch.

No thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement