Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

adox wrote: »
    I honestly think there are one or two on here who are intent on stirring it, no matter what angle they have to take.

Pity really, some great banter to be had.

...Just on the season as a whole, while I'd be slow to use the word disaster, it has been a diappointment. Woeful bad in any cup we entered, and some terrible league performances too. I really think we will need to make some moves in the summer, both in and out, to compete next year, as I can't see City letting an 8 point lead slip next year, so we have to try and keep pace with them As much as possible in the league table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pity really, some great banter to be had.

...Just on the season as a whole, while I'd be slow to use the word disaster, it has been a diappointment. Woeful bad in any cup we entered, and some terrible league performances too. I really think we will need to make some moves in the summer, both in and out, to compete next year, as I can't see City letting an 8 point lead slip next year, so we have to try and keep pace with them As much as possible in the league table.

It's been a strange season,we went from swashbuckling football to absolute borefests and onto something in-between.
    Next season we need to strike a balance between the swashbuckling style & keeping it tight at the back,hopefully a couple of decent signings will allow that to happen.
    The European debacle and domestic cup exits aside,it's odd that we haven't been vintage United in the league yet are still level on points with City at the top of the league.We depended on one Cisse to do us a favour last week and now we have another Cisse who might help us out (miracles can happen folks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone listen to 5Live World Football Phone-in?

Tim Vickery reckons there's some kind of swap deal arranged taking Anderson to Porto, and James Rodríguez going the other way.

He's a winger though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Des wrote: »

Tim Vickery reckons there's some kind of swap deal arranged taking Anderson to Porto, and James Rodríguez going the other way.

He's a winger though.

Of course he is a winger. We don't have enough wingers. We can't field a team of them yet.

Doubt Vickery is right though, mainly on the basis he is talking about a swap deal. How often do swap deals happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He's a winger though.

Of course hes a winger, sure if he wasnt a winger we would have no interest whatsoever!

Doubt it tbh.

I should add, I do like him from what I have seen of him, knows where the goal is also, and very young. Who knows with Fergie, he has a huge release clause I think. Wouldnt mind seeing him brought in the more I think of it, but not in a swap deal for one of our central players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Doubt Vickery is right though, mainly on the basis he is talking about a swap deal. How often do swap deals happen?

Vickery isn't a shít talker, if he's heard something, there's definitely something afoot, imo. He's one of the best out there on South American football.

Are you taking my post as him definitely saying it is a swap deal? If so, don't. I may have misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

More wingers please :D
    Park Giggs

Valencia Young Rodriguez

Nani

Winging team.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Park Giggs

Valencia Young Rodriguez

Nani

Winging team.

Fabio and Rafael have played on the wing, so full back is sorted.

Vickery isn't a shít talker, if he's heard something, there's definitely something afoot, imo. He's one of the best out there on South American football.

Are you taking my post as him definitely saying it is a swap deal? If so, don't. I may have misheard.

There was talk of Ando heading to PSG last year but either his injury problems or United deciding against it stopped it, the injury problems would surely be an obstacle to any team looking to sign him, especially when the transfer includes one of their brighter talents heading the other way.

Edit: Also, strictly speaking, its not South American football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m just hoping against hope that we sign a central midfielder out of the blue in the next couple of weeks.

I just have a feeling we will land someone we havent been connected with and the first we will hear of it will be when he has signed.

Fergie saying in an interview that he will have to look at replacing Scholes and Giggs has given me renewed hope that a central midfielder will land over the summer.

Hoping we get whatever business we are doing, done before the Euros start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my problem is if Ando goes, then thats another hole in CM. however, James Rodríguez is a fantastic player, who can play in ACM position and is not an out and out winger, so hmmm, wouldnt be a bad swap for us at all. however, he is a headcase apparently.

so far, only players we have for sure next year are Carrick, Scholes and a brittle Cleverly plus Giggs.

Pogba - i think he will stay.

that means then i see us signing one player for CM and then Kagawa and Guitan perhaps.

fergie said up to 3 signings, would he class Rodríguez as a signing, if it was a swap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Thought I heard today .. Pogba going to Juventus on a Free !

Secman

there is no way it would be a straight swap though

His release clause is 45million afaik, Anderson is certainly not going to be valued at half that tbf

secman wrote: »
    Thought I heard today .. Pogba going to Juventus on a Free !

Secman

i think he will stay but the reality is, that there has been so much crap talked by the press and his agent, its impossible to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

kryogen wrote: »
    There was talk of Ando heading to PSG last year but either his injury problems or United deciding against it stopped it, the injury problems would surely be an obstacle to any team looking to sign him, especially when the transfer includes one of their brighter talents heading the other way.

Edit: Also, strictly speaking, its not South American football :)

Plus the fact that he's not really very good. Wouldn't be heartbroken to see him leave tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

His release clause is 45million afaik, Anderson is certainly not going to be valued at half that tbf

No point reading anything into release clauses in fairness.

It doesn't matter what his release clause is. Ronaldo's in 1 billion. You Real Madrid would reject anything less than that? It is simply a figure they have to accept (though even that isn't true). It doesn't mean that can't or wouldn't sell for less.

No point reading anything into release clauses in fairness.

He is one of the hotter properties in terms of young players, signed a new 5 year deal last year which is when the release clause was raised, at his young age he has already been a big part in domestic and European success, and South American for that matter.

The release clause he has is a pretty good guide, and I was saying half that becuase Im saying even if you half it do you think they value Anderson at 22.5million currently?

I dont think they do, could be wrong.

It doesn't matter what his release clause is. Ronaldo's in 1 billion. You Real Madrid would reject anything less than that? It is simply a figure they have to accept (though even that isn't true). It doesn't mean that can't or wouldn't sell for less.

Your overestimating how much I read into release clauses

I dont think we would get much change from 25million if we were to sign him, I dont think Andersons market value is anything more then 15million at the moment. There is too big a difference for it to be a straight swap imo.

If they will let him go for 12-18 million, maybe it will happen. I doubt it though.

Look at how much Ando cost from them in the first place to see how they value their own players! :)

• Advertisement

Your overestimating how much I read into release clauses

I dont think we would get much change from 25million if we were to sign him, I dont think Andersons market value is anything more then 15million at the moment. There is too big a difference for it to be a straight swap imo.

If they will let him go for 12-18 million, maybe it will happen. I doubt it though.

Look at how much Ando cost from them in the first place to see how they value their own players! :)

If there was swap deal, I am certain it would be player and cash going there way. Anderson and 10million to 15million or so.

Still, don't see it happening.

Interesting that it is another player who can play AMC, along with Gaitan, Kagawa and Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He is one of the hotter properties in terms of young players, signed a new 5 year deal last year which is when the release clause was raised, at his young age he has already been a big part in domestic and European success, and South American for that matter.

The release clause he has is a pretty good guide, and I was saying half that becuase Im saying even if you half it do you think they value Anderson at 22.5million currently?

I dont think they do, could be wrong.

Im not disputing the points you are making just simply they set really high release clauses to stop players coming in and going on the cheap. The values are never truly reflective of their value, its simply a deterrent

Yep, agree with both posts, I dont think a straight swap is possible, thats all my point is, a player + cash deal possibly yes. Maybe Fabio on loan for the season and cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

We can dream, can't we - what a signing this would be....
    9/5/2012: United are "lining up a sensational move" for Robin van Persie, according to Talksport. The report suggests Sir Alex has joined the chase for the Arsenal captain, who is out of contract next year. It's added that the Reds have sounded out the possibility of landing the dual Player of the Year winner.

From manutd.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Like, there is no way in hell, but... Rooney playing just off Van Persie? Lord have mercy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

*Sigh*

I think I would literally explode with pleasure if we got RVP...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Former Manchester United striker Teddy Sheringham has claimed that manager Sir Alex Ferguson will again pursue Wesley Sneijder once the transfer window reopens.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2141855/Manchester-United-sign-Wesley-Sneijder-says-Teddy-Sheringham.html

sofa1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sneijder? Van Persie? Anderson leaving? The last two pages make dream reading but is complete bollocks unfortunately.

Teddy Sheringham.

Ear to the ground on transfer deals at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Double bollocks apparently! :pac:

alproctor wrote: »
    Double bollocks apparently! :pac:

Damn, thought I got away with the double post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Park Giggs

Valencia Young Rodriguez

Nani

Winging team.

Jesus we would really be winging it with that team!!

/gets coat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

546231_10150816573507746_7724542745_9953334_2035651679_n.jpg

''The 2012/2013 Man United Gingham Collection.''

It's a football shirt, just make it look plain and nice. No need for any experimental fashion shíte.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tbh, looking at the design, I think when viewed from afar (ie on a television), it's going to be hard to make out any real differences between the shades of red and darker red. Have a feeling you'll barely notice it when the new season starts up...

Tbh, looking at the design, I think when viewed from afar (ie on a television), it's going to be hard to make out any real differences between the shades of red and darker red. Have a feeling you'll barely notice it when the new season starts up...

It's the same every year.

May/June: I hate it! Oh my god it's terrible!
    September: It's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    It's the same every year.

May/June: I hate it! Oh my god it's terrible!
    September: It's grand.

Yep im the exact same with nearly every jersey we have had over past few seasons. They all seem to grow on me.

In particular the white(Bolton as some people mentioned) one really grew on me till CL final.

Actually was home at weekend and has box full of old things in attic, and behold I find my Grey United jersey from 1996. Was not hard to spot either:pac:

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sneijder? Van Persie? Anderson leaving? The last two pages make dream reading but is complete bollocks unfortunately.

somebody mentioned a few days ago that its worst than last year and was thinking it wasnt, it was just another year of the same s*it...im starting to think now after the past few days that it actually is going to appproach lunacy levels this year.

hopefully we get out signings done early and thats it. once we sign 3 players, i think our work is done. i expect 2 to sign within 2-3 weeks anyway.

Van Persie to United?

Not in million years...

Lets not get fooled into this one

Van Persie to United?

Not in million years...

Lets not get fooled into this one

i think modric will be out big "story" this summer, or should i put it a better way, the man who every paper in the world will link us to, until deadline day passes.

i think modric will be out big "story" this summer, or should i put it a better way, the man who every paper in the world will link us to, until deadline day passes.

Said it before, I think there is better value then Modric.

He good player and Spurs will want arm and leg for him. I dont think he is that good though.

I can see us being as disappointed in start of September as we were the one gone by.

I hope im wrong. We will buy a midfielder, my fear though is we will only buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

While Modric is over priced and over rated (who bloody isn't now a days) I have to disagree. He is a very good player.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    While Modric is over priced and over rated (who bloody isn't now a days) I have to disagree. He is a very good player.

Hmmm he still yet to convince me against the big teams.

We will have to pay 45-50 million for him. I personally would not want pay more then 25million.

I rather pay over the odds for Martinez or somebody like that who looks like improving in coming seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What about Assou-Ekotto? I mentioned him yesterday. He has said if Spurs don't get into the Champions League then he might move on. Would be a great signing. With Fabio gone for the year and Fryers seemingly on his way as well then we need someone in there.

It might be pure shíte from BAE but he'd be a welcome addition. I'd prefer Baines but at this stage anyone would be better than Evra.

Im still big fan of Evra though, but Baines would be very welcome.

his Set pieces are something we could seriously take advantage of.

Good Set Piece players are hard to come by this day and age.

Im still big fan of Evra though, but Baines would be very welcome.

his Set pieces are something we could seriously take advantage of.

Good Set Piece players are hard to come by this day and age.

Evra's a likeable chap and it's hard to find a bad word to say about his personality. He has been terrible on the pitch though. With no direct competition next year he will become even worse.

What about Assou-Ekotto? I mentioned him yesterday. He has said if Spurs don't get into the Champions League then he might move on. Would be a great signing. With Fabio gone for the year and Fryers seemingly on his way as well then we need someone in there.

It might be pure shíte from BAE but he'd be a welcome addition. I'd prefer Baines but at this stage anyone would be better than Evra.

While I have been highly critical of Evra's performances this season, I don't see BAE as a much better player. He has had a very good season, but is also prone to moments of madness/lapses of defensive concentration.

Evra has had a few performances recently that have been more like his older self. He is closing down crosses and getting stuck in. He actually had a good game vs City, himself Smalling and Rio did.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    While I have been highly critical of Evra's performances this season, I don't see BAE as a much better player. He has had a very good season, but is also prone to moments of madness/lapses of defensive concentration.

Evra has had a few performances recently that have been more like his older self. He is closing down crosses and getting stuck in. He actually had a good game vs City, himself Smalling and Rio did.

I can't say I've seen enough of him to say which or whether but he has impressed me whenever I've seen him. I think moments of madness are common enough with left/right backs :P.

Evra has still got it there. He just couldn't be arsed doing anything. He's captain now so he's never going to be dropped and there's no one in the mould of a Roy Keane who'll tell him to pull up his socks or fúck off.

Of all of them I'd prefer Baines. Much better all round than them all. Hope Fergie puts in an offer for him.

Not a fan of Assou Ekotto if Im honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Do ye think Evra should be captain? He just doesn't even try any more from looking at some of his performances. Is that the sort of player who should captain a team?

• Advertisement

Not a fan of Assou Ekotto if Im honest.

I can't see him moving anyway. I'd say he's angling for a raise in wages. He did say a few years ago that he plays primarily for the money and not cause he loves the sport.
    Keno 92 wrote: »
    Do ye think Evra should be captain? He just doesn't even try any more from looking at some of his performances. Is that the sort of player who should captain a team?

No. No.

With Vidic back next year we'll have a real leader in the team. Such a waste having Evra there. He has no leadership qualities at all that I can see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement