Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yep, Vidal is a nice player. €12.5 million was a great price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah Vidal and Sahin would've been great last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

xtal191 wrote: »
    Yeah Vidal and Sahin would've been great last summer.

I'd have dyed happy if we'd got Vidal Sahin.

I'd have dyed happy if we'd got Vidal Sahin.

What would that of cost? 25 million for the two? Would of been brilliant signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We were never going to get Sahin as he was always going to choose Madrid. Vidal on the other hand might have been a different story but it's possible he would have still chosen Italy.

Not sure what the situation is with Sahin in the Summer. Barely played for Madrid this season because Alonso was always fit, I'm sure they'll still want him as back up for that position but he might want regular football.

Blatter wrote: »
    We were never going to get Sahin as he was always going to choose Madrid. Vidal on the other hand might have been a different story but it's possible he would have still chosen Italy.

Not sure what the situation is with Sahin in the Summer. Barely played for Madrid this season because Alonso was always fit, I'm sure they'll still want him as back up for that position but he might want regular football.

He'll be hitting 31 in November. He might not play as many games as he did this season.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    He'll be hitting 31 in November. He might not play as many games as he did this season.

Maybe not, but he'll still be odds on to play the vast majority. He played at least 40 games over the past four seasons, over 50 in the two gone by. I wouldn't be fancying my chances of significantly more game time if I was Sahin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Keno 92 wrote: »
    What would that of cost? 25 million for the two? Would of been brilliant signings.

Throw in Ozil from the year before for 8m, and we'd have been just cushty for a midfield 3 for the next while.

I was just about to write out a big post about how we don't need Baines or an equivalent but that'd be a bit redundant now that Fabio and Fryers are off on loan. Would not be surprised to see Fergie go after a young LB for the future though instead of Baines.

To be honest I'd settle for a fullback, Kagawa (if rumours are indeed true) and another center midfielder. Modric would fit the bill and Harry admitted it's going to be hard to keep him, but I think Spurs are giving him a new contract. Anyone else think Fergie won't venture into other foreign leagues because of the amount of burning he got when signing the likes of Kleberson, Djemba twins, Veron? When you think of it all of our best center midfielders have been home grown or bought from within the league. I think it's a hard position to adjust to in England where you're constantly pressurised and sometimes bypassed in favour of the wings in comparison to say Spain or Italy where teams set up in front of a team and say 'right, come at us and try break us down'. In Europe it tends to be the same too which makes it hard to find a player that suits both.

The way we play we don't really need another striker given Welbeck, Chico and Rooney are there. We've center backs all over the place with Vidic back. Rafael needs to get his positioning sorted out over pre-season to be first choice at RB, but we've also Jones and Smalling who are efficient enough there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

those "value" transfer fees, are probably put off united by our wage cap...and having to work with Mike Phelan:cool:

• Advertisement

Maybe not, but he'll still be odds on to play the vast majority. He played at least 40 games over the past four seasons, over 50 in the two gone by. I wouldn't be fancying my chances of significantly more game time if I was Sahin.

Yeah true. Sahin is just wasted on the bench. Think it was a 5 year contract he signed so the ball is in Madrid's court. Can't see him leaving though.
    Throw in Ozil from the year before for 8m, and we'd have been just cushty for a midfield 3 for the next while.

Ha, if only Manchester had Madrid's weather

those "value" transfer fees, are probably put off united by our wage cap...and having to work with Mike Phelan:cool:

You bloody love Phelan, Homer!

Aren't we due a shake up in the backroom staff area anyway? Doesn't Fergie do it every 3/4 years? Phelan has been assistant since 2008 now, 4 years.

Although Fergie might be planning that the next season (or the one after) will be his last one and might want to keep things the way they are until he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Fellaini nailed on I reckon, Fergie always buys players who do well against United!

bullvine wrote: »
    Fellaini nailed on I reckon, Fergie always buys players who do well against United!

a lot of players to be bought this season so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Then I'm getting Munian name on my ManUtd Jersey, no half of Bilbao team :D
    Oh wait, what I have started, now will have 2 more pages about whether adults should buy football jerseys or not.

Y'know what I mean though, hes done it in the past with a lot of players. I'd really like Dembele though, think hes got the makings of a great player!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think if the season ends trophyless, as it most likely will, there could be a shake up in the backroom staff hopefully, since we have been successful there has been no pressure to really examine that area but it must surely be looked at in the season review particularly when it looks at how the team performed, and was set up tactically in the big games.

Been harping on about the Phelan thing myself for quite a while too, all the info I have suggests that he is not what is needed at United, Fergie has never been the best in a tactical sense, this is not a sleight on the man, it is just a fact, he has not made being the best tactician in the world his target and he has done pretty well without it.

But teams have flourished more with good tactical assistants who are able to get their opinions across him, Kidd, Mclaren and Quieroz to name three. There have been numerous reports on how much influence CQ had on tactics and training, in the last decade or so Fergie has been taking a more back seat role when it comes to training and unless there is a strong assistant there it is only natural that the long term future, or even medium term future will be bleaker.

Y'know what I mean though, hes done it in the past with a lot of players. I'd really like Dembele though, think hes got the makings of a great player!

Yeah was just kidding. I like Fellaini but I dont think he is the player we need. I have mu doubts on him. The game he killed us he was not even a midfielder, he was playing as striker.

I wanted Vidal as much as any other fan, but with him gone to Juve would love Banega. He is the player who will solve our midfield problems.

Its painful though, seems to be a real lack of quality midfielders in England and Fergie is nervous about buying from abroad unless on the cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Best conversion rates in Europe's top 5 leagues this season (min. 15 goals):

Higuain - 37%
    Milito - 35%
    Huntelaar - 30%
    Harnik - 28%
    Palacio - 27%
    Gomez - 26%
    Messi - 25.1%
    Yakubu - 24.6%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Personally (although never gonna happen) I would love United to buy Kaká for around £20-£25M, high but definite quality. Get the next four seasons of quality out of him. Not Fergie's style but I have always admired him, and seeing as he is halfway through a 6 year contract perhaps Real would be tempted to recoup some of the £68.5M they spent on him.

As I say its wishful thinking and he is 30 now so is against this policy Fergie has (or been made have).

Him and somebody like Fellini would be dream signings imo, along with maybe a young striker with potential I would be more than happy with once the likes of Berba, Owen, Park go and possible loaning of a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Kaka for 20-25 million would be such a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Samich wrote: »
    Best conversion rates in Europe's top 5 leagues this season (min. 15 goals):

Higuain - 37%
    Milito - 35%
    Huntelaar - 30%
    Harnik - 28%
    Palacio - 27%
    Gomez - 26%
    Messi - 25.1%
    Yakubu - 24.6%

I can't believe how long it took Diego Milito to get to a "top" European club. He has scored a bucket load of goals at Genoa (x2) and Zaragoza. The man is a tank.

I've always held Huntelaar in really high regard. I felt we should have gone for him when he was leaving Ajax. The only place where he didn't roughly average a goal every other game (or better) was Milan.

Just regarding the United coaching setup being shaken-up - each of those 'shake ups' mentioned weren't a case of United getting rid of coaches, they were coaches moving on to bigger positions. Kidd left United to go to Blackburn as manager, McClaren went to manage Middlesboro, Quieroz went to manage Real Madrid and then Portugal the second time. We had Walter Smith as assistant for a season or so when we were on the lookout for an assistant. Archie Knox was the only real one who left to go back to Rangers the season before we won the title.

So unless Accrington come calling for Phelan, I doubt he'll be going anywhere.

Just regarding the United coaching setup being shaken-up - each of those 'shake ups' mentioned weren't a case of United getting rid of coaches, they were coaches moving on to bigger positions. Kidd left United to go to Blackburn as manager, McClaren went to manage Middlesboro, Quieroz went to manage Real Madrid and then Portugal the second time. We had Walter Smith as assistant for a season or so when we were on the lookout for an assistant. Archie Knox was the only real one who left to go back to Rangers the season before we won the title.

So unless Accrington come calling for Phelan, I doubt he'll be going anywhere.

he was linked with Hull last summer, they have just sacked barmby so maybe they will look at Phelan again (please)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Personally (although never gonna happen) I would love United to buy Kaká for around £20-£25M, high but definite quality. Get the next four seasons of quality out of him. Not Fergie's style but I have always admired him, and seeing as he is halfway through a 6 year contract perhaps Real would be tempted to recoup some of the £68.5M they spent on him.

As I say its wishful thinking and he is 30 now so is against this policy Fergie has (or been made have).

Him and somebody like Fellini would be dream signings imo, along with maybe a young striker with potential I would be more than happy with once the likes of Berba, Owen, Park go and possible loaning of a few others.

Kaka about 5 years ago would have been a sensational signing. Unfortunately age and injuries have taken their toll. He's not the player he was. Can't run fast any more and who knows if he can last a 40/50 game season. He has played 39 games this season, his most since '08.

He's not the player he was when he was terrorising defences in Europe back in '07. Not worth the investment in my view.

Better players available for less/the same amount and who will be hitting their peak in 5/6 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Didn't SAF try to get Martinez before appointing Phelan? At least that shows he was aware (at the time) that maybe he needed someone tactically astute beside him? Hopefully, he realises it again this off-season and gets some good coach in. I like Rene but maybe he isn't as good as I thought either. :(

Just thinking about players and would you take Sneijder and Huntelaar if they were both available? I have a feeling that we'll come back in for Sneijder during the summer. He should be available for a lot less (circa £15m?) and none of the teams competing for his signature would be as attractive to him (imo, esp if he still wants to win the CL etc). Huntelaar is definitely one thats been on the radar before and while we may have signed him before, he's arguably in even better form now. Problem with him is age, he'll be 29 when the season starts but imo he's worth a punt. Its not like the Berbatov situation as Fergie simply doesn't trust Berba (sadly) and its nothing to do with his age slowing him down.

I think going for the two of them should guarantee at least 4/5 years (Sneijder 28 in June also) quality and thats worth it, feck the resale values.

Obviously, a CM is still needed. With Juve signing Pogba, any chance they'll let us have Vidal, or even better Marchisio? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

he was linked with Hull last summer, they have just sacked barmby so maybe they will look at Phelan again (please)

Was that not Warren Joyce linked with the Hull job? He turned it down anyway.

Dont think Phelan has ever been linked away from us, surely that must tell SAF something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Lads, why are Manchester United fans, here and elsewhere, calling Marouane Fellaini a 'dream signing'.

Alright he's a decent footballer, but I dont think he has the quality or talent to be anything more than a squad player for us. He might do a job for us in the odd game but he is not the midfielder that United should be aiming at.

A dream signing is one who massively improves the team imo. Fellaini is not in that category.

He was linked with Burnley a couple of years ago.

I'm still uneasy with using Phelan as a scapegoat, there's just too little evidence available to us to make any definitive judgement, and Fergie isn't the type of person to keep on an assistant manager that isn't up to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He was linked with Burnley a couple of years ago.

I'm still uneasy with using Phelan as a scapegoat, there's just too little evidence available to us to make any definitive judgement, and Fergie isn't the type of person to keep on an assistant manager that isn't up to much.

Seeing him look clueless on the sidelines and just staring at the ground is good enough for me that he aint good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is it Spalleti i think the bald former Roma manager who Fergie brought over a few years ago to learn a few things under him unless im dreaming. Is he doing anything now would like to see an assistant manager to come in and then take over from Fergie in a few years. Think their definately needs to be a shakeup in the backroom staff.

alproctor wrote: »
    Lads, why are Manchester United fans, here and elsewhere, calling Marouane Fellaini a 'dream signing'. Alright he's a decent footballer, but I dont think he has the quality or talent to be anything more than a squad player for us. He might do a job for us in the odd game but he is not the midfielder that United should be aiming at. A dream signing is one who massively improves the team imo. Fellaini is not in that category.

I dont think anbody called him a dream signing. He is an improvement on the team. Fits the category is young, used to the league so wont need to settle and wouldnt break the bank. Would be fairly happy with Fellaini once another midfielder comes in also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

on the plus side. rooney could nick a few of his dreads

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I dont think anbody called him a dream signing. He is an improvement on the team. Fits the category is young, used to the league so wont need to settle and wouldnt break the bank. Would be fairly happy with Fellaini once another midfielder comes in also.

...........Him and somebody like Fellini would be dream signings imo, ........

Anyway, my point is that I dont think Fellaini would improve the team.
    As I said earlier, i think if we really have designs on dining at the top Eurpoean table (and we do) again, then we need to be aiming a lot higher than Fellaini.

Would not mind seeing us put bid in for Falcao.

He was signed for 40 Million Euro, surely Atletico will sell him for above 50 Million?

I agree with your sentiments, I dont mind placing a bid and getting rejected :D

Fantastic player but his price will have gone up by another few million after last nights brace. And he moved to Atletico for €40 million last season. Can't see us being able to afford him.

He worth 50 million.

Quality player ?(I know it wont happen, just a dream)

• Advertisement

He worth 50 million.

Quality player ?(I know it wont happen, just a dream)

We should have signed him three years ago for €4 million from River Plate instead of getting Michael Owen.

alproctor wrote: »
    Anyway, my point is that I dont think Fellaini would improve the team. As I said earlier, i think if we really have designs on dining at the top Eurpoean table (and we do) again, then we need to be aiming a lot higher than Fellaini.

Who is better than Fellaini that we have. Will Scholes be still around, Park not good enough, Anderson and Cleverley injury prone and not as good as him. Fellaini is as good as Carrick if not better. Giggs not good enough. Fellaini would of course improve the team and wouldnt break the bank. We need two new cm and Fellaini would be a good buy. Realistically Fellaini is a likely target and would be a good signing.

Atletico Madrid need to secure Champions League football next season if they are to hang on to striker Radamel Falcao, club president Miguel Angel Gil Marin said on Thursday.

The Colombia forward scored two stunning goals to help Atletico beat Athletic Bilbao 3-0 in the Europa League final on Wednesday, finishing the tournament as top scorer for the second season in a row, with 12 goals.

Atletico lie fifth in La Liga, two points short of fourth-placed Malaga in the last Champions League qualification berth, and visit relegation-threatened Villarreal in the final round of matches on Sunday.

"If the club don't manage to qualify for the Champions League they are going to have a problem in terms of income," Gil Marin told Spanish radio. "Atletico need to be in the top four.

"If we don't make it, it will be difficult that he (Falcao)stays."

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL4E8GAB7M20120510

Would be nice but there's no doubt that Barca and City (if only for their second reserve side) would be in for him if he's available. Signed for €40m so it'd be around the same fee for him again.

We should have signed him three years ago for €4 million from River Plate instead of getting Michael Owen.

I said it at the time that we should have looked into signing that kid at time.

Always been fan of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Obviously, a CM is still needed. With Juve signing Pogba, any chance they'll let us have Vidal, or even better Marchisio? :p

Marchisio will probably stay at Juve his whole career, imo. Vidal's better anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

According to twitter, Madrid still have two outstanding payments to be made for Falcao.

Really can't see us spending 40 mil on a striker.

edit: can't see us spending 40 mil on anyone!

• Advertisement

For anyone who really wants to cling to a hope of signing Falcao, his agent is Jorge Mendes who owes us a couple of quid for that whole Bebe thing and is in a way, owned or directed by GestiFute.

For anyone who really wants to cling to a hope of signing Falcao, his agent is Jorge Mendes who owes us a couple of quid for that whole Bebe thing and is in a way, owned or directed by GestiFute.

This is up there with the Cissé optimism people (myself included) had last weekend :P.

On an even worse note it seems Rooney's horse had her first run yesterday. She came last. Ha ha ha hope he doesn't invest all his money in horses.

This is up there with the Cissé optimism people (myself included) had last weekend :P.

On an even worse note it seems Rooney's horse had her first run yesterday. She came last. Ha ha ha hope he doesn't invest all his money in horses.

Rooney likes a good Gallop from time to time.

For anyone interested

MUFC Reserves vs Sunderland Reserves...
    Johnstone, Vermijl, Fryers, Thorpe, M. Keane, Wootton, Cole, Tunnicliffe, W. Keane, Petrucci, Lingard.

Subs: Brown,Coll,Fornasier,Giverin,Brady

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Who is better than Fellaini that we have. Will Scholes be still around, Park not good enough, Anderson and Cleverley injury prone and not as good as him. Fellaini is as good as Carrick if not better. Giggs not good enough. Fellaini would of course improve the team and wouldnt break the bank. We need two new cm and Fellaini would be a good buy. Realistically Fellaini is a likely target and would be a good signing.

You're correct about Giggs, Park and possibly Anderson... I don't dispute that.

I just dont think he is better than Carrick. Or Scholes. Or Cleverley at his best.

My point however, is not how he compares to what we have at the minute - It is that we should be aiming higher than Fellaini if we are to get back to the very top level (in Europe more so than at home).

A lot higher.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement