Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I avail of UK Tax free ISA's while resident in RoI?

• 18-03-2012 4:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking about starting up some sort of saving scheme for my children, and happened to hear about tax free junior ISAs in the UK.

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to register/set-up these for the kids? I am a worker in NI and pay UK tax, although I reside in RoI, as do the kids.

Is there anything stopping me from doing this? Must I have an NI address to avail of this (I could provide my parents NI address ok), although the children won't have any UK/NI personal details registered such as National Insurance numbers, birth certs etc. An issue perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Wikipedia says your kids can't have Junior ISAs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Savings_Account

"They are available to those who are...resident and ordinarily resident in the UK, or are a UK Crown servant, married to or in a civil partnership with a Crown servant, or a dependent of a Crown servant."

Unless you're a Crown Servant? (What's a Crown Servant?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, think children need to be resident in UK ok.

Is there anything similar in Ireland. Chances are, not a hope.

May have to look at State Savings to get something tax free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

There's no equivalent here of the ISAs. Some State Savings are DIRT-tax-free but be careful as not all State Savings products are DIRT-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ok, so you have to be resident to start the ISA. So what happens if you open one, and then move back to Ireland?

Advertisement