Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

transporting carbon bike

• 18-03-2012 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi im enquiring is it safe to transport carbon frame bike with clamps on roof of car. i have been using this kind of transportation for the last year with a carbon bike but recently bought new carbon bike & manual tells me not to use clamps so im just wondering as i dont lock clamps too tightly!!!
    i would appreciate you views
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Strictly speaking you should not use the carrier type that clamps the frame in a 'claw'. You should use the type where you remove the front wheel and attach at the fork and a loop on the rear wheel. Carbon frames aren't designed for crush type stresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 miket

thanks ashleey,
    will look for new roofrack system , any ideas where best value is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ashleey wrote: »
    Strictly speaking you should not use the carrier type that clamps the frame in a 'claw'. You should use the type where you remove the front wheel and attach at the fork and a loop on the rear wheel. Carbon frames aren't designed for crush type stresses.

Just be careful. Some carbon fork manufacturers recommend, that you don't use this type of carrier. They say, that it puts undue pressure on the fork.
    It's hard to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Very true. If I could get a roof rack for the kids then I could leave the seats down with the bike inside the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

miket wrote: »
    thanks ashleey,
    will look for new roofrack system , any ideas where best value is

This is good value at €23.50 + €6.00 delivery. I got it for my carbon bike. Might be worth getting a wheel bag too to keep your car clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

I've been using a Thule roof cycle rack with a Carbon frame and it's fine. The claw has a V-shape so you don't need to tighten the clamp so tight since the frame won't go anywhere so I just tighten it up to the frame slightly and it's fine. Just don't let anyone that doesn't know how, tighten your bike up for you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

If I can fit an Iron Horse Sunday and a Kona Stab in the back of a 4-door Mazda 3, you guys should have no problem with your tiny girly-man bikes!
    Some people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 miket

thanks for all the advice, think i will stick with clamp just to hold bike & not over tighten

Advertisement