Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuum [Showcase - CA] *Spoilers!*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Was just looking on tv.com at the episode guide and came across something pretty cool - some of you probably seen it already but all the episode names in Season 1 have the word 'Time' in them and all the ones in Season 2 have the word 'Second'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Just starting to watch Season 2. Its a good show. The killing of the terrorist ring leader (well suicide) was a brave move last season. At times the production and script are a bit simplistic. In S2EP1 we see a gang leader just saying lets shoot a police officer. I dont think thats realistic in Canada. Kiera is a beauty though-I wish she would take off the raincoat more!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Lockedout wrote: »
    Just starting to watch Season 2. Its a good show. The killing of the terrorist ring leader (well suicide) was a brave move last season. At times the production and script are a bit simplistic. In S2EP1 we see a gang leader just saying lets shoot a police officer. I dont think thats realistic in Canada. Kiera is a beauty though-I wish she would take off the raincoat more!

You can see her covered in green paint in her underwear in the first new star trek film, she is the Alien in bed with Kirk at starfleet academy.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

keithgeo wrote: »
    You can see her covered in green paint in her underwear in the first new star trek film, she is the Alien in bed with Kirk at starfleet academy.. :pac:

I'm not a trekkie, but she was the reason i watched that film, enjoyable too, the film that is :P

I was recommended this series by a friend, but gonna watch S01 again as it was a different show on what you're used to watching on syfy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

keithgeo wrote: »

She was balls nude on some other recent film also......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

:eek:

Something wouldn't want to see if seeing her naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Saying this without providing sauce should be a ban IMHO. :P

Continuum is set to return for its third season in March 2014.
    In season three of Continuum, Kiera Cameron (Rachel Nichols; Criminal Minds, Alias) faces the immediate consequences of Alec Sadler's (Erik Knudsen; Jericho, Scream 4) betrayal at the end of season two - when he disappeared in a flash of light with the time travel device Kiera hoped might send her home. Alec's impulsive decision sets in motion a chain of events, which pushes Kiera into a shocking alliance with a former enemy.

Kiera must also contend with a newly strategic Liber8 organization, and a growing darkness in her police partner, Carlos Fonnegra (Victor Webster; Castle, Melrose Place). Ultimately, all roads lead through young Alec Sadler, and with his genius never having been more tested, his choices force Kiera - and everyone - to examine all they hold dear.

"Season three of Continuum will raise the stakes and expand the universe of our show in ways that will surprise and engage our fans," said creator/executive producer Simon Barry. "Kiera's journey brings her experiences that test her beliefs and challenge her resolve. The future is not what it used to be."

"We could not be happier about the phenomenal success of the show over the first two seasons, with a very loyal and enthusiastic fan base that continues to expand worldwide," said Reunion Pictures' Tom Rowe. "The third season, under the creative direction of Simon Barry, along with fellow Executive Producer/Director Patrick Williams, the first-rate writing team and our exceptional cast, again promises to exceed all expectations."

New to the cast this season is Rachael Crawford (Alphas,The Firm) who joins as a guest star in a multiple episode arc. Returning cast include Stephen Lobo (Smallville, Little Mosque On The Prairie), Lexa Doig (V, Stargate SG-I), Omari Newton (Blue Mountain State, Sophie), Luvia Petersen (The L Word) and Terry Chen (Bates Motel, Combat Hospital).

Continuum is created by Executive Producer Simon Barry (The Art of War) while DGC Award winner Patrick Williams (Shattered, Smallville) is Executive Producer and Director. Reunion Pictures partners Tom Rowe, Lisa Richardson and Matthew O'Connnor are Executive Producers.

Filmed on location in Vancouver, BC, Continuum is developed and produced by Reunion Pictures. International distribution is handled by Endemol. The series is now seen internationally in over 50 countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

im really at odds with continuing to watch the show, its been 2 seasons and its just going around in circles, absolutely noting has been affected by kiera presence, everything in the future is playing out as it should, if they want to show to progress then their going to have to make a change that will effect the future, otherwise its completely pointless,

i do like it, but its really frustrating with the lack of progress their making,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Lockedout wrote: »

Only got around to watching Alias recently, just working through the last season and she's popped up as a recurring character. She's only in her early 20s and has long blonde hair, looks completely wrong after Continuum

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    im really at odds with continuing to watch the show, its been 2 seasons and its just going around in circles, absolutely noting has been affected by kiera presence, everything in the future is playing out as it should, if they want to show to progress then their going to have to make a change that will effect the future, otherwise its completely pointless,

i do like it, but its really frustrating with the lack of progress their making,

From reading the promo I get the impression they're finally going to address this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Saying this without providing sauce should be a ban IMHO. :P

Ewww.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Barryhazel1970

I too found season 2 confusing. Could people tell the role of the freelancers?
    Liberate also became confusing-Im not sure why there was a split? I know groups like these generally do.
    I also detected a growing aptitude for violence by Kiera. Is this to boost ratings? Cutting whats his names cheek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just finished watching Season 1.

I haven't had this much satisfaction watching a science fiction show in years. I sincerely hope it keeps up.

As a kid I daydreamed many a thing, among those there was a self-fulfilling prophecy paradox, another was the inevitable corporatization of the world, so it is damn nice to see both things come together for sci fi.

Impressed with the writing on the show, there is tech but it is done in such a way that it doesn't primarily drive the show, the characters do.

I did like that moment at the finale of S1 where Alec and his Step Brother meet up in front of Kagamei. 2 Step brothers leading opposing sides of the movement in 2077. Remind anybody of the music video to No Handlebars much?

I've spoiled minor things for myself with Wikipedia and the like, naturally, and to a couple posts above about season 2, the thing about self fulfilling prophecy paradoxes (And again, I spent a lot of time thinking about such things as a kid) is that they are so damn hard to affect change with. There is a Quantum Moment you have to overcome, just like pushing a boulder from rest. In reality, the real change you are seeking might take place over countless iterations of the loop, not just one or even two. It is clear from the end of the first season that they are not on the first iteration at all, and quite possibly are already several iterations in.

Overheal wrote: »

I haven't had this much satisfaction watching a science fiction show in years. I sincerely hope it keeps up.

As a kid I daydreamed many a thing, among those there was a self-fulfilling prophecy paradox, another was the inevitable corporatization of the world, so it is damn nice to see both things come together for sci fi.

Impressed with the writing on the show, there is tech but it is done in such a way that it doesn't primarily drive the show, the characters do.

I did like that moment at the finale of S1 where Alec and his Step Brother meet up in front of Kagamei. 2 Step brothers leading opposing sides of the movement in 2077. Remind anybody of the music video to No Handlebars much?

I've spoiled minor things for myself with Wikipedia and the like, naturally, and to a couple posts above about season 2, the thing about self fulfilling prophecy paradoxes (And again, I spent a lot of time thinking about such things as a kid) is that they are so damn hard to affect change with. There is a Quantum Moment you have to overcome, just like pushing a boulder from rest. In reality, the real change you are seeking might take place over countless iterations of the loop, not just one or even two. It is clear from the end of the first season that they are not on the first iteration at all, and quite possibly are already several iterations in.

fresh season 3 promo with proper footage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

jenjenten wrote: »
    fresh season 3 promo with proper footage :)

Do you have a link? thanks.

Overheal wrote: »

What in the name of Jesus is an iteration??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

What in the name of Jesus is an iteration??!!

It's a mathematical function describing the evolution of a quantum system. If you didn't understand the post, don't feel bad just move on ;)

• Advertisement

Hang-we are several iterations in? The whole series went off into the great blue yonder at end of season 2. Im really beginning to doubt if it has what it takes for season 3. What exactly is the motivation of Alex's family? Time travel is our business?!!

Telling people to "just move on" is a cop out and perhaps shows this series is about to disappear up its own posterior.!!

The production values could use Investment too.

I'm pretty excited. Really enjoying this show tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭somuj

Can't wait either. Hopefully its starts off straight after the final scene and we don't have to wait months for some back story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm going to invent a new adverb to describe that.

Headmeltingly great.

They could write themselves into a corner if they keep going this way (then write themselves out again with a time travel deus ex machina), but I have a feeling this is going to be much better than season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

great start on season 3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed the second season but this one already seems to have a stronger focus. We got lots of answers, including the most important one: time is not immutable. The time lines can definitely be changed and it very much matters.
    I like the idea of how they'll cope with two Alexes running around and how coldly they solved the idea of two Kiras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭liamtech

I have watched SciFI all my life - Trek, Doctor Who, EFC, Stargate, - i have also read Arthur C Clarke, and various other giants -

But this show is without doubt the best modern variety of SciFi i have ever seen

Its phenomenal - i REALLY hope it gets renewed for at least 3 or 4 more seasons -

As to this opener, what can i say? FAN****INGTASTIC is an understatement -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Great story telling on a small budget, putting a lot of the high profile big money shows to shame.

Amazing start to season 3 and the ending to the first episode really was a :eek: moment.

5 minutes in and I'm thinking they're going down the seemingly obvious "secret organisation of Timecops" route made even dafter by them being a cult. 5 minutes later and I'm thinking it's going to be Kiera and Garza working together. 5 minutes after that I stopped trying to second guess where it was going.

I'd forgotten how well this show sells you the easy option then turns around and does something completely different.

Liked the way they used the new timeline to act as an extra recap of some of the stuff that happened last season. With a few tweaks.

(Although the one thing that really made no sense was the whole timeline literally collapsing just because Alec had left it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Can only agree with some o fthe previous posts- watched lots of scifi shows- this episode was friggin in my top 10 scifi episodes- going the hard sci fi route this week was much better than a lot of the previous episodes of the show that were kind of like Almost Human- a normal cop show with some advanced technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Does this episode not mean that Keira's home timeline is gone? The timeline she was in with the freelancers collapsed because it was a future that ceased to exist once Alex went back and changed things. So as numerous thing shave changed since she and Liber8 came back, like Kellog's grandmother being killed, her timeline must have collapsed too?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Great episode. I'm glad they've finally started to deal with time travel a bit more, they had held back too much on it in earlier seasons imho. I hope we get lots more of that this season.
    iguana wrote: »
    Does this episode not mean that Keira's home timeline is gone? The timeline she was in with the freelancers collapsed because it was a future that ceased to exist once Alex went back and changed things. So as numerous thing shave changed since she and Liber8 came back, like Kellog's grandmother being killed, her timeline must have collapsed too?

It certainly looks that way. They haven't explained yet if every timeline which is changed collapses and there's only one true timeline which can survive, or if only timelines which become impossible or are hugely changed collapse. But, it seems like the best that Kiera can hope for is to end up in a timeline similar to the one she left.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

stevenmu wrote: »
    it seems like the best that Kiera can hope for is to end up in a timeline similar to the one she left.
    That's how I understood it as well. Kiera #1 is from the original time line with her happy family she's trying to get back to and a relatively pre-determined set of events. Some people now may be dead but the major points were in place... Until Alex caused it to fall apart.

Now Kiera #1 has to go into Kiera #2's time line to try and ensure that all those major events are still met and allow her to get back on track and see that all the main events still play out. It's not her time line - it's a new one but one that still has the potential to be close enough.

It's very refreshing to see some intelligent sci-fi on tv - too much of it is dumbed down since "Fringe" finished up.

ixoy wrote: »
    That's how I understood it as well. Kiera #1 is from the original time line with her happy family she's trying to get back to and a relatively pre-determined set of events. Some people now may be dead but the major points were in place... Until Alex caused it to fall apart.

Now Kiera #1 has to go into Kiera #2's time line to try and ensure that all those major events are still met and allow her to get back on track and see that all the main events still play out. It's not her time line - it's a new one but one that still has the potential to be close enough.

It's very refreshing to see some intelligent sci-fi on tv - too much of it is dumbed down since "Fringe" finished up.

So does Alex 1 or 2 have to die?....Keira 2 was killed by Keira 1, which alex has to die?

Time travel presents alot of writing issues imo, paradoxes aplenty and the old escape clause of a deux ex as Mr. E said....but overall that was some damn fine Sci-Fi story telling...you rarely see it on tv these days.

jenjenten wrote: »
    So does Alex 1 or 2 have to die?....Keira 2 was killed by Keira 1, which alex has to die?

Time travel presents alot of writing issues imo, paradoxes aplenty and the old escape clause of a deux ex as Mr. E said....but overall that was some damn fine Sci-Fi story telling...you rarely see it on tv these days.

I thought that only the presence or absence of important persons to the time line would cause the time line to collapse. The presence of two Alexs didn't create any massive problems so I'm not sure, not like the absence of any Alex seemed to rapidly cause the collapse of the timeline where Keira was imprisoned.

So Kiera repaid a debt that never took place so now Garza believes she owes Kiera? Gotta love time travel.

I did feel a bit cheated by the whole Kiera 2 is killed offscreen without any knid of interaction with Kiera 1. Though I'd say it would've been hard to show it without turning the audience against Kiera for killing in cold blood, assuming it was her.

Best option now may be to kill Alec 2. And Alec should be easier to kill than Kiera. Once that happens the timeline should be on course. Though is Emily Jason's mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I thought that only the presence or absence of important persons to the time line would cause the time line to collapse. The presence of two Alexs didn't create any massive problems so I'm not sure, not like the absence of any Alex seemed to rapidly cause the collapse of the timeline where Keira was imprisoned.

The timeline collapse is a bit daft (especially since the threat of Kiera's family never existing would have been enough to make her chase Alex) but forgivable due to the quality of the rest of the episode. Presumably the 2A timeline hasn't diverged enough to cause a collapse yet.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    So Kiera repaid a debt that never took place so now Garza believes she owes Kiera? Gotta love time travel.

I did feel a bit cheated by the whole Kiera 2 is killed offscreen without any knid of interaction with Kiera 1. Though I'd say it would've been hard to show it without turning the audience against Kiera for killing in cold blood, assuming it was her.

Best option now may be to kill Alec 2. And Alec should be easier to kill than Kiera. Once that happens the timeline should be on course. Though is Emily Jason's mother?

I presume we'll get to see that next week as I can't imagine shooting oneself is an easy thing to do.

Great season opener, hopefully it continues at this level.

Kiera's family is a bit of a red herring IMHO - it's her motivation to get back to the future, but why does she still believe that they exist. She either hasn't realised or they haven't said that her family very likely can't exist in the future. They dropped a big hint in the season opener; some changes are small and some have big effects - ones relating to Alec are going to have a big impact. I can't see Kiera interacting with Alec and showing him the suit (etc.) not having a huge impact on the timeline. Unless that was supposed to happen in the first place and Kiera's future is dependant on her going back at some point. That would explain why the freelancers don't seem too bothered by Kiera being back in time.

Argh. Bloody time travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So she went back in time because she went back in time :pac:

So she went back in time because she went back in time :pac:

Exactly.

• Advertisement

second episode up. Continuing the good quality of the last episode. Really have no idea where this seasons storyline is going. Kiera has got to doubting now that she can ever get home

Cool new opening credits. Great episode, a new interesting bit of back story for Kiera

• Registered Users Posts: 43 listen_lady

I love the fact that Kiera is so angry with Alec because he chose to save Emily: Kiera's choice to go after the time travel device rather then pull Emily into cover is what got her killed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else find this whole freelancer war a needless complications and distraction from the liber8 Kiera dynamic?

Anyone else find this whole freelancer war a needless complications and distraction from the liber8 Kiera dynamic?

It doesn't really make any sense to me. So their Founder went back in time to set up a secret society dedicated to preserving the timeline from incursions by others from the future. Or presumably, "his" timeline.
    Except that
    a) by going back he's already drastically altered his own timeline (unless the Freelancers already existed in it) and
    b) any such incursions that he's aware of are already part of his timeline's history, so by preventing them he's going to alter his own timeline anyway. Probably to the point where it collapses (which makes no sense either - why don't they just exist in parallel - that's what the branching showed anyway).

Unless of course the Freelancer's leader just lied to Kiera to get her on their side, which would make a lot more sense.

I also have a horrible feeling that ultimately Kiera will end up
    sacrificing going home and going backwards to become the founder of the Freelancers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well we know that the founder was from a time further in the future than any we've seen yet, and time travel was commonly in the hands of criminals at that point, so presumably his time line was already badly messed up. Therefore he founded the freelancers to try and restore the timeline to how it should have been before criminals started messing it up, or at least to get as close as possible. He possibly also wanted to swing things slightly in his own favour.

They haven't explained much yet about how or why timelines collapse, so we don't know if it only happens when a large change makes a timeline impossible, or if any little change effectively wipes it out.

I've been wondering about Jason since the last episode, he seems to know much more than he lets on, and doesn't seem at all surprised about another young Alec appearing from the future. I suspect he has done quite a bit of time travelling himself (causing his insanity). And I think he is also either the founder of the freelancers, or possibly the person who first messed up the time line so badly that someone else then founded them.

I think it's likely that Escher, Alec and therefore Jason were relatively insignificant at first. Then Jason tried to change that by travelling back in time to make first his grandfather, then his father hugely successful, making himself rich and powerful in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

It was all going so well and was relatively easy to follow so long as you paid attention up until this point , they had a great dichotomy going between the goals of Keira and Liber8 with the protagonist fighting to maintain a currupt status quo in order to get back to her family in the future she left and the antagonists Liber8 using whatever tactics the have to prevent that dystopian future. Half the fun was figuring out who you were rooting for and how much of all of it was predestination . I don't think the writer really expected this to get to 3 seasons so is has had to pad things out with all this Freelancer war crap.

Glad to see it wasn't Keira who killed Keira (gotta love time travel). Any ideas as to who did it? Though I did find it interesting that she said to Kello that he was surprised to see her alive, which means she suspects him. So that could be how he figured out there were 2 Alecs

This has been so good this season. Episode 3 really added a new level to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah good episode again-. There never afraid of killing off some civilians- still don't know what liberate are planning.

Advertisement