Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuum [Showcase - CA] *Spoilers!*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Just watched S3EP1-Why is Ussher suddenly in Alec's bad books? Is he not his father??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Oh man this show has just gotten so good this season. Looks like we might be set for all out war between both Alecs - Piron Alec seems very like future Alec for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

yeah I agree looks like Piron Alec is a bit of an ass and will be future Alec. I guess Kiera will have to finally decide who to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've got to say I prefer when the show concentrates on the initial theme of the show, like Keira's question her role in protecting the system, than on the increasingly convoluted time travel elements. I felt much more engaged with this episode than I have with the rest of the series. I'm not sure what the point of the future storyline was though. I think it would have made the events in the present where Keira realises her beliefs may be wrong much more powerful, if we had seen that when she was in her time, she followed orders, even if it meant leaving a young child to die. It would leave her questioning if the world would be better if she helped steer it away from her future which is something she would never do as it would erase her son from existence.

Just watched S3EP1-Why is Ussher suddenly in Alec's bad books? Is he not his father??

Escher I think pissed off both Alecs because he sent Emily to spy on him and pretend to be his girlfriend. The second Alec probably hates him more since his actions lead to Emily's death. Also he was probably annoyed that his father left him when he was young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

iguana wrote: »
    I've got to say I prefer when the show concentrates on the initial theme of the show, like Keira's question her role in protecting the system, than on the increasingly convoluted time travel elements. I felt much more engaged with this episode than I have with the rest of the series. I'm not sure what the point of the future storyline was though. I think it would have made the events in the present where Keira realises her beliefs may be wrong much more powerful, if we had seen that when she was in her time, she followed orders, even if it meant leaving a young child to die. It would leave her questioning if the world would be better if she helped steer it away from her future which is something she would never do as it would erase her son from existence.

I think it's just to show that the future is different now, even worse than before. I wonder is she organising something in the future or was that just a simple pat on the back from her co-workers.

I didn't think the two Alecs on screen worked well together, it seemed like the show was trying to portray one as evil Alec and the other as good Alec even though there's only a week or so worth of events separating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else feel there was something off about Keira in the last episode, I don't know whether they intentionally had her seem harsher and more pro police state in the present to act as a counterpoint to her softer attitude in the future when she saves the kids instead of the ceo's but I'm not sure it worked for me . Hopefully she returns to normal next week .

Episode 6 is up. Really good episode - Kiera was a bit cold hearted at the end but I guess the choice had to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I knew she would side with Alec.

Just noticed Amanda Tapping directed thing episode. Funny how many sci fi actors become directors. Like Riker, Paris and Torres from Star Trek. And I'm sure I've seen others

Bigtime filler episode this week. Unfortunate as the show has been going from strength to strength this season.

• Advertisement

yeah not a good episode- added nothing to the overall plot. The flashforwards have worked well only as parts of the episodes. The future scenes are just not that interesting to me. Still great season so far, overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A bit of an origin story for Sonya, and shows what a prick Alec becomes. Not great, though.

How was Kagame responsible for the destruction of the settlement? I thought Alec ordered it destroyed. Are we supposed to believe Kagame contacted Sadtech to tip them off that he was there in order for them to blow it up so he could recruit Sonya? That's a bit of reach both in terms of a plan to recruit Sonya and to attribute the blame to him. The real person who deserves the blame would be Alec as he ordered it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

While it doesn't absolve Alec of wrongdoing, Kagame clearly planted his DNA on the apple and routed it directly to Alec knowing that would lead to the settlement being attacked.

It might seem like a lot in order to just recruit a Doctor, but don't forget that she was being recruited into the super soldier program, and Kagame told her to return to that, but working for him.

We know already that Liber8 are enhanced soldiers, this is presumably setting the groundwork for how that came to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Oh no!
    Betty!

When they were all going to the bar together, I realised then she was gonna die. Too much emphasis on her this episode with redemption, reasons, monitor being removed, regaining trust.

And now it takes a week break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

So, I'm thinking amnesiac guy is Kiera's son?

If he is, hope they find out before they do something they'll regret

They do seem to have a weird chemistry thing going. It's kind of refreshing that they've kept the main character from having any romantic relationship. Kiera sure did a lot of bad things in the future!

They do seem to have a weird chemistry thing going. It's kind of refreshing that they've kept the main character from having any romantic relationship. Kiera sure did a lot of bad things in the future!

Didn't Keira and Kellog have a shag toward the end of the 1st series?

• Advertisement

Yeah but no romance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bit unusual to have an episode with no scenes from the future. Hopefully that doesn't mean the next episode will be an all future one.

Was the guy revealed to actually have shot Keira also the guy with no memory? He looked awfully similar but there's a lot of characters in this show that only appear in a few episodes. What happened to the guy's who "robbed" the bank and volunteered for the neurotech implants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Turtwig wrote: »
    Was the guy revealed to actually have shot Keira also the guy with no memory?

Yep, looks it was a two man op to take her out. It looks like she only got part of the story from the first CMR reconstruction.

I'm getting fed up of the Keira/Alec fighting. Just annoying and used as a plot point now to give Alec a reason to not help her out of spite

Alec is slowly changing into the bad guy though isn't he? Other Alec, the one in the cube, will no doubt have to be rescued at some point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought it was very interesting that Future Guy knew the name Kellogg but not Sadler. I'm thinking that Future Guy is from a new timeline, one where Kellogg has taken over Prion and become the most powerful technocrat. Adding to that is how he mentioned how everything was darkness in the future he came from - presumably it being a future that was falling apart, that branch disintegrating much like the future Keira2 witnessed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm getting fed up of the Keira/Alec fighting. Just annoying and used as a plot point now to give Alec a reason to not help her out of spite
    This little spat I didn't find very believable. Sure, she's pissed with Alec over digging out the CMR (though not sure why she's that pissed TBH) but to not tell her about these guys trying to kill her alternate self and maybe her too? That's a bit much.

ixoy wrote: »
    Thought it was very interesting that Future Guy knew the name Kellogg but not Sadler. I'm thinking that Future Guy is from a new timeline, one where Kellogg has taken over Prion and become the most powerful technocrat. Adding to that is how he mentioned how everything was darkness in the future he came from - presumably it being a future that was falling apart, that branch disintegrating much like the future Keira2 witnessed.
    I'm not too fond of that whole plot device, timelines "dissolving". Maybe I just don't really have it clear in my head why or how it happens.

I'm guessing the future guys are trying to kill Kiera because she is helping Kellogg come to power but why not just kill Kellogg himself?
    Anyone know if the show will be renewed for another season, not sure when this is usually announced for Canadian shows but there are only 3 episodes left.

• Advertisement

I felt the last 2 episodes have been a bit sloppy in progressing this new storyline. They have felt a bit convoluted and confusing.

I felt the last 2 episodes have been a bit sloppy in progressing this new storyline. They have felt a bit convoluted and confusing.
    I'm with you. Up until the last few eps this was really neck and neck with Game Of Thrones and has dropped away a fair bit. There's probably just too much poorly explained or thought out time travel shennanigans going on. The show worked so much better when it was (relatively) simple. This was bound to happen as soon as alternative timelines came into it. I'm just afraid now this show can never really recover.
    Jumped the shark. I'm calling it. :)

Surprised at the negativity towards the latest - both of us here really liked it. It tied in a few plots nicely, explained more of the time travel theory and the consequences of Alec jumping backwards, provided new direction for Liber8, showed Kellogg as some sort of future rebel... One of my favourite of the season.

Surprised at the negativity towards the latest - both of us here really liked it. It tied in a few plots nicely, explained more of the time travel theory and the consequences of Alec jumping backwards, provided new direction for Liber8, showed Kellogg as some sort of future rebel... One of my favourite of the season.

I like the developments and the story, just not how it was told... I just found it sloppy.

I enjoyed it. I think it has dug itself into a hole that may be difficult to get out of, but half the fun is watching them try.

Could be another big reset in the finale - we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I felt it gave itself a huge reset button to press.

I did enjoy it and I'm kind of hoping it may jump into the future for next season.

• Advertisement

I'm stil confused on what the guy from the futures plan was- what he was sent back to do. It appears it wasn't his or the Asian guys plan to kill Kiera but wanted something in the lab and just came upon her but I'm not even sure about that. The Lib*rate guys did seem to give up pretty quickly- the only evidence they had for his story was a video of future Kellogg that could easily be faked.

Mr E wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I think it has dug itself into a hole that may be difficult to get out of, but half the fun is watching them try.

Could be another big reset in the finale - we'll have to wait and see.
    I hope not really. They're the ultimate SF cop out. (partly why I hate recent Doctor Who with a timey wimey passion)

I'm stil confused on what the guy from the futures plan was- what he was sent back to do. It appears it wasn't his or the Asian guys plan to kill Kiera but wanted something in the lab and just came upon her but I'm not even sure about that. The Lib*rate guys did seem to give up pretty quickly- the only evidence they had for his story was a video of future Kellogg that could easily be faked.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Future guy and Asian guy are anti Freelancers for some unknown reason. I presume they were sent back by Kellogg to kill the non-Corporate Timeline Keira and stop Piron to reinstate the original timeline (well the one where Keira has gone back in time). Presumably Sadler (future) sent Keira and the other girl back in time with Liber8 to ensure that the original future also doesn't happen. So we are now aiming at somewhere between future 1 and future 2

Liber8 haven't given up on stopping a Corporate Congress future - they're just changing how they bring it about. At least that's how I read it as, a change of tactics.

As to what Chen was searching for in the labs - another time device probably. We know they've got a time hopping device but it's big and clunky so maybe this one is better if it's more portable (or they just want a second one).

Liber8 haven't given up on stopping a Corporate Congress future - they're just changing how they bring it about. At least that's how I read it as, a change of tactics.

As to what Chen was searching for in the labs - another time device probably. We know they've got a time hopping device but it's big and clunky so maybe this one is better if it's more portable (or they just want a second one).

Well, it seems to me that they fractured pretty profoundly. I think the variance in views supports the sloppy storytelling view

• Advertisement

I couldn't quite get why Liber8 appeared to be throwing in he towel. They went back in time to disrupt the future. Why would they pack in the whole effort just because it hasn't yet changed to what they want?

Because they're no longer a group held together by a single ideal. Garza was sent by Sadler. Travis is just a soldier fighting a battle he nows realises there's no clear winner and worse, he's just a pawn in a much larger game - feels used I guess you could say. Travis is a geek smart enough to realise what all the alternate timelines means. The Dr, Queen of Hearts, is the only one considering the possibility they should rewrite a different destiny and that fits in too with her revolutionary character so far. Actually explains a good deal why they bothered their asses in setting an entire future only episode explaining her backstory.

Really enjoyed this episode. Even if it is to be one big RESET button it was a great way to do it. It shows Liber8 ideals aren't 'good' either. That's actually the big thing I like about this show. It's probably the only series on current television that makes me thing about modern society and the directions it could take. The goods guys aren't obvious and there's no anti-hero's either. Just people trying to do what they believe to be the right thing. Except maybe Corporate Alec Sadler. But then he's trying to save the health of billions what's a tiny percentage of psychotic side effects there?
    Dillion then?

My problem there is that none of them looked like they even knew that time travel could lead to multiple timelines. Stopping the corporations would obviously change the timeline anyway.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    My problem there is that none of them looked like they even knew that time travel could lead to multiple timelines. Stopping the corporations would obviously change the timeline anyway.
    Yes but they presumably thought it would result in just the main timeline - their timeline - being changed and the Corporate Congress being removed. Their old timeline would never have existed and they were prepared for that sacrifice. The idea that multiple time lines could co-exist makes it all seem that more futile.

Yes but they presumably thought it would result in just the main timeline - their timeline - being changed and the Corporate Congress being removed. Their old timeline would never have existed and they were prepared for that sacrifice. The idea that multiple time lines could co-exist makes it all seem that more futile.
    I had just guessed that "transtemporal physics" would have been pretty well understood in the future if they are at the point where time travel is becoming increasingly normal. They would thus know full well about the alternative timelines they would generate. Unless they weren't told all the facts of it. And whichever timeline you would find yourself in you would continue to fight for a cause you believed in. (except maybe Garza, the rest of them did seem to be loyal to Liber8 goals).

I think the main message from this episode was that they could not predict the outcome from any of their actions. Even though they seemed to have destroyed the corporate congress, which was their main goal, they seemed to have made things worse.

Why try to change the future when you don't know what effect anything you do will have?

Of course this has big implications for Kiera's chances of getting back to her family too.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Why try to change the future when you don't know what effect anything you do will have?
    How does this differ from where anybody is though? They were fighting for a corporation free future, so isn't this still the objective?
    It also seemed to me to be very shaky evidence for Liber8 to pack in the fight. Some guy Kellogg sent telling them to?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    How does this differ from where anybody is though? They were fighting for a corporation free future, so isn't this still the objective?
    Well Liber8 were solely focused on the corporate congress being the source of all evil, and in their original timeline that was a fairly reasonable view to have. So they were completely convinced that through their actions they could bring down the corporate congress, which would lead to a much better future for everyone. That is a much less reasonable view, obviously once they change the future anything could happen, but then they are extremists so they're prone to that type of thinking.
    It also seemed to me to be very shaky evidence for Liber8 to pack in the fight. Some guy Kellogg sent telling them to?
    I agree with you there, especially with the information coming from Kellogg who is very clearly only interested in himself.

Well that was excellent. A lot happened, a few big deaths and a nice setup for the finale.

Looks like The Traveller (and his merging process) is the magic reset button / deus ex machina this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Mr E wrote: »
    Well that was excellent. A lot happened, a few big deaths and a nice setup for the finale.

Looks like The Traveller (and his merging process) is the magic reset button / deus ex machina this season.
    The Traveller.....he is
    Kellogg, is he not? It certainly looks like him

• Advertisement
Advertisement