Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish movies from the 80's.

• 18-03-2012 11:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Remember when an Irish made movie came out it would be big news?Before My left foot there were a few Irish made movies that at the time there was a lot of hype about but which have more or less disappeared ,you never see them on the telly any more and I doubt that theyre on dvd.Eat the peach was one,about a guy who builds a wall of death.It was based on a true story and I'm sure the real guy is featured on reeling in the years.Then there was Reefer and the model,quite a good thriller.Joyriders was another one,I never saw it but remember seeing it advertised a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

I remember those films. Never saw Reefer and the Model though. Was The Courier with Gabriel Byrne any good at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

ruadhri44 wrote: »
    I remember those films. Never saw Reefer and the Model though. Was The Courier with Gabriel Byrne any good at all?
    Saw it yonks ago on vhs.The only bit I can remember with any clarity is a nasty scene where Byrne sticks a broken light bulb into a guys eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Haven't seen it yet but 'Taffin' is defo on my watch list.

Angel,Neil Jordans first flim which came out in the early 80's is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ruadhri44

Sorry to say Taffin is not that great. Very bad infact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

darkdubh wrote: »
    Angel,Neil Jordans first flim which came out in the early 80's is worth a look.

Yeah id like to see that.Its a hard find id say.Anyone remember Lamb with Liam Neeson? Good film you can watch it on YouTube.

Yeah id like to see that.Its a hard find id say.Anyone remember Lamb with Liam Neeson? Good film you can watch it on YouTube.
    Yes,It was shown on rte very soon after it was released.They had the young lad in it on the Late late as well at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet but 'Taffin' is defo on my watch list.

ruadhri44 wrote: »
    Sorry to say Taffin is not that great. Very bad infact.

Yea it was on tv a few months ago. I lol'ed at it for a few minutes but couldn't stick watching it any longer, dire.

I know that it was strictly a short film and not a full length feature but Clash of the Ash was a great film and summed up so much about Small town life in Ireland in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

darkdubh wrote: »
    I know that it was strictly a short film and not a full length feature but Clash of the Ash was a great film and summed up so much about Small town life in Ireland in the 80's.

I think that was the one that featured Blackie Connors from Glenroe and was shot around the Fermoy area, some film alright.

• Advertisement

kakee wrote: »
    I think that was the one that featured Blackie Connors from Glenroe and was shot around the Fermoy area, some film alright.

I met Alan Devlin who played the coach in the film a few years back in a Dublin pub before he died.He was a hell of an actor.

I met Alan Devlin who played the coach in the film a few years back in a Dublin pub before he died.He was a hell of an actor.
    "Go on Ya gurrier,they'rl be no job in the bank for you".A great actor and legend of a real life character if the stories are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Eat The Peach was pretty dire from what I remember.

Also "Poitin" though that may have been the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

The Outcasts, featuring a pre-Glenroe Mick lally was a fantastic film, with a disturbing scene in which a lad who was having it away with a young wan turned into a goat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

FatherTed wrote: »
    Eat The Peach was pretty dire from what I remember.

Also "Poitin" though that may have been the 70's.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Eat The Peach,It's the bleak bogland locations that add a somewhat strange grandeur to it.
    I'd add Cry Of The Innocent with Rod Taylor and Cyril Cusack (1980) to the list of the infamous.
    Much hyped at the time it actually was pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

He played Tadhg in Fair City.

Clash of The Ash is a classic. I watch it every couple of years.

Joyriders isn't bad. It's from 1989 with some great pre-Celtic tiger footage of Dublin.

Bearhunter wrote: »
    The Outcasts, featuring a pre-Glenroe Mick lally was a fantastic film, with a disturbing scene in which a lad who was having it away with a young wan turned into a goat...

That was shown just after Christmas. Early 1983. A promo shot was on the front of that week's RTE guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The Playboys from circa 1988.
    Robin Wright was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

Vague memory of a file called a "Pair of Brogues" with Niall Tobin. Sorta comedy about poitin selling iirc.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    He played Tadhg in Fair City.

Clash of The Ash is a classic. I watch it every couple of years.

Joyriders isn't bad. It's from 1989 with some great pre-Celtic tiger footage of Dublin.

Where could i get that film Joyriders?

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen Pigs,a film from the mid 80's set in a Dublin squat?I remember reading about it but never saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Lamb starring Liam Neeson is a classic from the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

was eat the peach from the 80s..

Where could i get that film Joyriders?

I've recently digitised my off-air VHS copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Criminal Conversation: A fairly obscure movie from 1980 - I remember the bit about the bra for some reason ...

http://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=61733

baalthor wrote: »
    Criminal Conversation: A fairly obscure movie from 1980 - I remember the bit about the bra for some reason ...

http://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=61733

I remember that one from the original RTE 1 broadcast. I think there was one house on our road that owned a VCR at the time.

It's a shame that this stuff languishes in obscurity. If it were a UK production then Network would probably have released it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

all dogs go to heaven ,the kids movie, was an irish animated film released in 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

It might be worth mentioning Morgan O'Sullivan at this point, who has made his life's work the promotion of film making in Ireland.

He may not have always made good films but he certainly helped in keeping an industry going in Ireland for over 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Another one that came to my mind - The Ballroom of Romance

Advertisement