Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA Managers

• 18-03-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was reading about Monte Cox and his impressive stable of fighters, but was wondering why an MMA fighter would need a manager?

Purses are low enough without having to pay commission, especially when most coaches would do the work I presume - ie, find fights, negotiate purses, developing skills etc -and with the reputation of the soccer agents I just wonder for the need?

Not diminishing any managers out there, just posing the question :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Depends on their contacts, if they could get you on the big show it would be beneficial, most fighters are managed by their coaches here.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

I guess if you're talking about UFC/Strikeforce/Bellator-level fighters there's negotiations with sponsors, media appearances, etc. to be dealt with, as well as contracts with the actual fight promoter. Also travel and accommodation arrangements for overseas fights, work visas, licensing issues and so forth.

Sure a fighter or his coach could do a lot of that, but the work mounts up and presumably for a lot of fighters paying a cut of their purse to have somebody handle it all is a reasonable trade-off. Particularly if - as one would hope - the manager has experience and contacts to help carry out his duties.

Of course, as cowzerp noted, fighters operating on a more local level don't need to worry about a lot of these matters, and can handle much of it themselves or with their coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Id say all you could "manage" is a block of cheese these days :)

Loads of thai lads getting managers these days, I dont think its the money the fighters are so concerned about but the exposure and the shows that these new managers are able to get them on... only speaking fro the thai fighters i know

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Advertisement