Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing clipping from video?

• 18-03-2012 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi, my band played a gig recently and a friend recorded one song on his camera (good quality one, by the looks of it). We are happy with both the video and our performance, but unfortunately some of the audio clips, particularly around the bass kicks.

Is there any way of removing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

What was used to edit it? Most programmes come with audio clipping markers that show you where the clipping is and then you should be able to adjust from there. What format was the audio when it was edited? MP3/WAV/AIFF?

There is a lot of clipping in the video and I don't know if it would be worth it because the audio could be affected drastically, especially if it was recorded on a single track.

Was the audio recorded on camera or from a separate audio source?

Nice video work btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

I didn't record the video (I'm actually the guitarist in the green tshirt!), so I'm not sure.

I think he took the video on a camera, as he was taking photos of us, but the camera looked like a decent one, unfortunately the sound was just too loud for the mic. It's not a huge deal, as we recently took part in a show where they make videos of your gig, and record the audio through the desk, and sync them later; so we have some videos coming up at least. I just really like this one, so it is a shame that it probably can't be saved.

happyman81 wrote: »
    I didn't record the video (I'm actually the guitarist in the green tshirt!), so I'm not sure.

I think he took the video on a camera, as he was taking photos of us, but the camera looked like a decent one, unfortunately the sound was just too loud for the mic. It's not a huge deal, as we recently took part in a show where they make videos of your gig, and record the audio through the desk, and sync them later; so we have some videos coming up at least. I just really like this one, so it is a shame that it probably can't be saved.

Looking at the video, there's a lot of clipping I'm guessing from the bass drum so it's pretty consistent throughout.
    Tbh, I think there'll be a lot of effort put into this and the final product might not seem worth it but this is from a video POV. Maybe if you try the audio board they may be able to help. I do a lot of work with DSLR and I suffer a lot form peaking with the onboard mic, tis always best to get a desk sound but also hard in some places.
    I recommend investing in a zoom, the H2's will do the job and are quite cheap, like a 100 euro. they have an onboard mic and xlr support to connect into a desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

To be honest it's not the worst sound recording I've heard, I imagine the person filming has either just taken a feed of the sound from your PA mixing desk (Which will generally be too loud for audio recording) or used the on board Mic - I would imagine it was the former. Generally to do a good audio mix for video you'd need to do a PA mix and a seperate video mix so splitting the Mic cables and send it to 2 seperate desks. Alternatively recording onto a multitrack recorder means you could mix it at a later date, when recording keep the levels on the low side to avoid clipping.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

No, it was just a mate with a camera, so it was the built-in mic. It's still decent, though. He did a good job on the camera work.

happyman81 wrote: »
    No, it was just a mate with a camera, so it was the built-in mic. It's still decent, though. He did a good job on the camera work.

Camera work is brilliant I have to say. The motion of the zoom and pan works really nicely, especially for a single camera set up.

For a cheap set up though I do recomend getting a Zoom if you're looking to record audio from your gigs. With regards to setups at a desk I'm fairly clueless but the zoom hasn't let me down as of yet.

If you had a laptop with Pro Tools you could use that if it was connected to a desk but for the simple shoot and edit stuff the zoom will be your friend and it records in fully uncompressed WAV unlike onboard mics on cameras which have no comprehension of bass.

Advertisement