Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding problem

Options
  • 18-03-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Ive just bought an Iomega media hard drive with integrated cloud - it basically allows you to logo to it from anywhere intheworld via an inbuilt ip address

To get it working, I have to configure port forwarding to the 192.168.x.x address that is assigned to it on my own network.

Problem is that when I set port 50500 (Iomega specified) to forward to the ip address, the device report that the port still isn't open. All looks ok inthe router config ( it's an eircom zyxel p660)

Ive set both the from and to ports to 50500 ? Is this right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grumpygit

just wondering did you ever get this fixed. I have tried setting this up on a zykel and netopia and all i get is a question mark over the router and the iomega on the setup web page. i can check 50500 port forwarding on to a laptop on my network and it is ok but when I point it to the iomegatv it tells me the port is not open. It's doing my head in :(. have been on to their support a few times but no result, just wondering if anyone ever got it working

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Have you set the firewall to low on the router?

The default setting on both the Eircom Netopia and Zyxel routers is Medium but it has to be set to low for NAT/Port Forwarding to work.

Thanks for your reply ST. Unfortunately I have tried that but no joy. I can forward the port to my desktop running windows 7 and it works ok when checked with pfportchecker client, I then changed the forwarding to a laptop I had also connected to the router and when i tested now with the client on the desktop it failed until I tried it from the pfportchecker client on my laptop. it now works from both the client on the desktop and laptop when testing the port forwarding to either the desktop or laptop depending on which I have it forwarded to. :confused: However if I try to forward it to the iomegatv unit it wont work. Not sure if it would work if I could run a pfportchecker client first from the iomega as it did with the laptop however this is not possible. I ran wireshark on the laptop for my initial failure and the laptop sends back a rst.ack with a seq=1 instead of a syn,ack with a seq=0 for a successful connection. Iomega have talked about changing the unit but as I have loads of stuff on the hard disk I don't want to follow that path and also would imagine this is a software and not a hardware issue

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Did you manually assign the IP address etc to the Iomega unit?

If so what DNS address did you use?

If the Iomega can't resolve the address of the Iomega Cloud server then that could be the reason you can't connect.

Try setting the DNS to either Open DNS 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 or Googles Public DNS - 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Also check your gateway address is correct.

If there is a DMZ option in the router you could try assigning the Iomega to the DMZ.

Hi St I have tried assigning an ip address manually with the gateway being the ip address of the netopia 192.168.1.254 however it automatically puts the same address in for the dns server., I have tried to change it but it will not allow me change the 254 bit, I have a static wan ip address on my netopia of xxx.xxx.xxx.0. Is that a valid ip address for the netopia everything else works ok just thought that was a strange ip address to have :confused: Netopia does not have DMZ on it either as far as I know so all in all i'm still screwed

• Advertisement
Advertisement