Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipsal / KNX / Lutron

Options
  • 18-03-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have plans to rewire my house in a couple of months and make it flexible in such a way that I will be able to use 4 different bus systems as the technology evolves.

I plan on looping a screened cat6e around the house from switch to switch so that the 4 different pairs can be used for separate systems.

Primarily most products I will be using will be from C-Bus to control the lighting but I plan on using some KNX products as well. Depending on how my finance is I may introduce a Lutron system as well at a later date.

I have not seen a KNX installation wired with twisted pair before. Usually it is the standardized screened EIB cable with just the black and red cable. Would it be ok to use Cat6 and have other systems on the other pairs?

If anyone is able to give me any tips or recommend another bus system it would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

Hi, I don't follow you logic. Why to merge different systems in one home? What you want to achieve?
    I would suggest a KNX system as most universal of mentioned, but wiring is different from what you are planning to do. What about media/sound wiring? Home automation is just a part of a smart home.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Sponge

What I am trying to achieve is flexibility. If there are four pairs you can use four different bus systems.

KNX is very expensive and some people prefer a cheaper solution

Clipsal is a lot cheaper just not as flexible in terms of products and operability. If devices from different systems can be dispersed I wont be so restricted.

If these can be integrated through a Tridium unit happy days.

The big question is has anyone installed KNX using cat 5/6 before? I know the CSA is slightly smaller but just wondering would I get away with it in a small installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

Why not just use twisted pair? Its reasonably priced and flexible going forward. CAT6 can work but I wouldnt stand over it. There may be problems over distances.

Knx is getting cheaper. I have it installed for Lighting control (scenes, motion sensors in a couple of rooms) heating control and I have it set up for automated blinds but never got around to getting the blinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dcummo

hey.

just wondering what you have decided to go with??

ive installed alot of cbus systems in the past and never came across an application that couldnt be done on the c bus system..

im currently out of work and looking to get back into it,if you need a hand give me a shout or you need a lend of the controller let me know.

good luck

Advertisement