Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Dead Musician

Options
  • 18-03-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

As we all know when a musician dies their reputation skyrockets and they are put on a pedestal that they were never on when they were alive.
    Its not their fault, they're not the ones overrating themselves, after all they're dead.
    But who does everyone reckon is the most overrated musician due to an early death.

John "pretty much the best human ever" Lennon
    Jimi "best guitarist ever" Hendrix
    Dimebag "best guitarist ever" Darrell
    Duane "best guitarist ever" Allman
    Brian "more talent than Jagger and Richards combined" Jones
    Jim "Shakespeare" Morrison
    John "best drummer ever" Bonham
    Keith "best drummer ever" Moon
    Bon "best frontman ever" Scott
    Freddie "best frontman ever" Mercury
    Ian "visionary" Curtis
    Kurt "inventor of grunge, voice of a generation" Cobain
    Layne "personification of grunge, voice of a generation" Staley
    Cliff "best bassist ever, spiritual guardian of thrash metal" Burton

Basically judge it on who most fits the criteria that if it wasn't for an early death, they wouldn't be held in such a high esteem as they are.

Most overrated dead musician 141 votes

John Lennon
    0% 0 votes
    Jimi Hendrix
    16% 23 votes
    Dimebag Darrell
    3% 5 votes
    Duane Allman
    6% 9 votes
    Jim Morrison
    1% 2 votes
    John Bonham
    20% 29 votes
    Keith Moon
    0% 1 vote
    Brian Jones
    2% 4 votes
    Bon Scott
    2% 4 votes
    Freddie Mercury
    4% 7 votes
    Ian Curtis
    2% 3 votes
    Kurt Cobain
    7% 10 votes
    Layne Staley
    30% 43 votes
    Cliff Burton
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You left out Elliott "best songwriter ever" Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Okay thats it, who voted for Freddie Mercury. Come on, own up. That is the most dastardly of dastardly deeds.

By the way he isn't in the list but I vote for Elvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Two votes for Kurt Cobain?

Come on people, have a look at some critical reviews of Nevermind from 1991, not what some random wrote about Nirvana post-1994.

Also Elliott is underrated not overrated.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Also Elliott is underrated not overrated.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, he's quite overrated in indie circles. I mean I still like his music but his albums seem underwhelming in context with the sheer amount of worshipping he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Kurt, Lennon, Hendrix aren't overrated IMO. Elvis on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I wanted to say lennon but then I said no just because you dont like him... can I say none there

Also lol at people who think Nirvana invented grunge...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Also lol at people who think Nirvana invented grunge...
    They didn't, they just perfected it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Whoa! Who voted for Hendrix? :mad:

I think none on your list are overrated tbf.

They were all highly regarded before their death. I'd put Mr. Moanyhole himself, Jeff Buckley, up there ahead of them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Curt Cobain FTW! Vastly overrated. A couple of good tracks, some mediocre ones and the rest was poor quality filler material. Everyone else on that list has tons more decent quality material to their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that, he's quite overrated in indie circles. I mean I still like his music but his albums seem underwhelming in context with the sheer amount of worshipping he gets.

Couldn't disagree more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more.

Which still makes you wrong BTW

I can't believe some stupid dip-sh1ts voted for Lennon. Their musical taste and knowledge is up their h0le.

You must remember that the older guys were of their time and the newer / younger they are, the greater the expectation of them as they had all the others to learn from. Thus Hendrix, Lennon, Morrison, Elvis etc were innovators the rest were pretty much just imitators / plagiarists.

mathepac wrote: »

Why is that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's a pity this poll isn't public so bans could be handed out for the three people who voted for Dimebag Darrell and Cliff Burton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Layne Staley is new to me. Voted Cobain cos of the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The Big Bopper or Richie Valens? Miami Showband? Karen Carpenter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Donatello , if he hadnt of been a turtle he wouldnt have sold anything.

Kurt in all fairness, few good songs , great unplugged album , God status , undeserved.

Why is that then?
    I said so

I said so

<Snip>

Attack the post, not the poster. - rcaz

• Advertisement

Couldn't disagree more.
    Expand. Don't leave me hanging. I'm looking forward to your in-depth analysis of why you think Elliott Smith isn't overrated.

<snip>

Yawn. Your command of the language has me awe-struck. Wake me if you and your thanks buddy have an original thought to share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hear that?

John Lennon
    Jimi Hendrix
    Dimebag Darrell
    Duane Allman
    Jim Morrison
    John Bonham
    Keith Moon
    Brian Jones
    Bon Scott
    Freddie Mercury
    Ian Curtis
    Kurt Cobain
    Layne Staley
    Cliff Burton

All in the afterlife..... laughing at a piss higher competition on boards.ie > Music > Music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I can't believe some stupid dip-sh1ts voted for Lennon. Their musical taste and knowledge is up their h0le.

You must remember that the older guys were of their time and the newer / younger they are, the greater the expectation of them as they had all the others to learn from. Thus Hendrix, Lennon, Morrison, Elvis etc were innovators the rest were pretty much just imitators / plagiarists.

Because of course there was no music before the '50s, and Hendrix, Lennon, Morrison and Elvis didn't draw heavily on their predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I voted Jim Morrison. I used to think they were brilliant. That was until I actually bought some of their CDS. Annoying, just annoying plus they've aged a lot - that cant be said of all the other perspective candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭mosstin

Horse****. They're all plagiarists, just that some much better at it than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think they're all talented people, but if I had to choose I'd go with Kurt Cobain. Great vocalist, good song-writer and guitar player, but all this 'voice of a generation', idolising, God-like status bullsh*t? Please.

John Lennon was a genius , and probably one of the most deserving artists on any best artist list , he was at the top of his game and the music business for 20 years , he didnt just muddle along with uncharting albums , he wrote some of the greatest songs of all time with the beatles and solo , he was hilariously funny , and a great frontman/spokesperson . He shouldnt be getting any votes here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Elvis was one of the biggest plagiarists out there, he practically admitted it himself. A great artist nonetheless, but let's not be under any illusions.

• Advertisement

Elvis was one of the biggest plagiarists out there, he practically admitted it himself. A great artist nonetheless, but let's not be under any illusions.

I dont think elvis wrote any of his songs , he wasnt a plagiarist just a singer of other peoples songs

Advertisement