Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Digiweb] Metro Usage Cap period

• 18-03-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

I had my connection throttled back on March 15th. On my last invoice, the service period was 02/03/2012 to 01/04/2012 and I added up all the Downloads for each day from http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/ and it comes to approx 45Gb but my Cap is 60Gb. My card was charged for the service on March 15th also.

Should the cap not reset on the start of the service period, i.e. March 2nd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's a rolling 30-day cap so it will look at your usage over the past 30-days at any given time and if your total usage is above your cap you will be throttled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I can't seem to find any reference to it being a rolling 30 days, all I can see in the t&c is:
    9. FAIR ACCESS POLICY. To ensure equal Internet access for all subscribers, DIGIWEB operates a fair access policy. Fair access establishes an equitable balance in Internet access across high speed Internet services for all subscribers. To ensure this equity, heavy usage customers may experience temporary throughput limitations during peak usage hours. DIGIWEB provides the Service on a “best effort” basis and does not guarantee upload or download speeds. Further, all services are subject to a Traffic Quota which is the sum of the upload and download traffic generated during a 30-day period. The Quota level for each service varies and is displayed with the Service details at www.digiweb.ie and may be modified from time to time. Accounts which exceed their quota may be restricted or suspended without notice, however DIGIWEB will endeavor to advise of such actions, and may provide web- based information to the Subscriber to review their usage level. Metro accounts running in excess of the permitted Traffic Quota will have the option to subscribe for additional quota, upgrade to a suitable service level, or have internet access restricted until the account returns within quota.

If they offer a 60Gb Cap but look at it on a rolling 30 days, they are not actually giving 60Gb or am I missing something? :confused:

Freeman wrote: »
    I can't seem to find any reference to it being a rolling 30 days, all I can see in the t&c is:

9. FAIR ACCESS POLICY. To ensure equal Internet access for all subscribers, DIGIWEB operates a fair access policy. Fair access establishes an equitable balance in Internet access across high speed Internet services for all subscribers. To ensure this equity, heavy usage customers may experience temporary throughput limitations during peak usage hours. DIGIWEB provides the Service on a “best effort” basis and does not guarantee upload or download speeds. Further, all services are subject to a Traffic Quota which is the sum of the upload and download traffic generated during a 30-day period. The Quota level for each service varies and is displayed with the Service details at www.digiweb.ie and may be modified from time to time. Accounts which exceed their quota may be restricted or suspended without notice, however DIGIWEB will endeavor to advise of such actions, and may provide web- based information to the Subscriber to review their usage level. Metro accounts running in excess of the permitted Traffic Quota will have the option to subscribe for additional quota, upgrade to a suitable service level, or have internet access restricted until the account returns within quota.

If they offer a 60Gb Cap but look at it on a rolling 30 days, they are not actually giving 60Gb or am I missing something? :confused:
    Within a 30-day period ergo within the last 30-days.

Give them a call on Tuesday morning to confirm - I'm only going on what I've been told and my interpretation of the T&Cs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

It either doesn't make sense to me or my brain just refuses to accept it. If it is based on 30 days rolling, it will reset over the next day or two because I am getting closer to coming under the 60Gb as each day passes.

I am getting browned off talking to them to be honest and I will be moving to UPC as soon as I can, the deals are too good to stay with Digiweb. I am just biding my time until I switch over. Throttling is really a major pain right now, getting about 8kb/s, which by my maths is about 1000 times slower than the 8Mbit/s service. I use Blueface for the phone, which runs through the same connection and well let's just say Mother's Day was not a pleasant day here.

Thanks for contributing

I can understand the frustration! If I remember correctly, they throttle your speed to ISDN speeds (128Kbps) so 8KB/s sounds about right.

It is 30 days rolling - let's say you have a cap of 60GB and you download 60GB today, you will be throttled for the next 30 days because your rolling cap usage will exceed your 60GB limit each day. In 31 days from now, your 60GB binge will drop off the window.

If you have a lot of activity for a particular day which is about to drop off the 30-day window then the throttling will be lifted once the 30-day window usage dips below 90% of your monthly cap. Looking at your usage chart attached, you had 4.3GB traffic on the 18th and 1.29GB on the 19th - once these are no longer included in the 30-day window you should be back within your allowance limits. I would take it easy however - the 10th and 11th you downloaded a combined 20GB of data, 1/3rd of your cap - until this drops off the 30-day window it's going to cause your average usage to remain quite high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just got a mail today stating that they have increased the usage cap on my 30mb Metro pack from 60GB to 100GB, happy days. :)

Advertisement