Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Question

• 18-03-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Sorry for making a thread but I didn't see any thread for small questions.

For systems at equilibrium; how do you count the number of moles on each side of the equation for questions about increase in pressure?

H20 + CH4 ----> 3H2 + CO

For example...

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

For systems at equilibrium; how do you count the number of moles on each side of the equation for questions about increase in pressure?

H20 + CH4 ----> 3H2 + CO

For example...

Thanks for your help.

Just look at the number (if there is one) before the chemical formula. In this case, there's one mole each of water and methane, 3 moles of hydrogen and 1 mole of carbon monoxide, which gives 2 moles on the left hand side and four on the right.

Therefore, an increase in pressure would cause the system to shift to the left (the side with less molecules)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shnaake

H20 + CH4 ----> 3H2 + CO

For example...

Thanks for your help.

You count the number of molecules on each side in the ratio of their balanced equation, i.e on the left there is 1 H2O and 1 CH4 so there are 2 molecules. On the right there are 3 H2 molecules and 1 CO molecule, so there are 4 molecules on the right.

So, if you increase the pressure, the equilibrium will favour the reaction which produces the lesser amount of molecules( the left).

Hope that helped, it was a bit poorly worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Thanks guys.. Assumed it was something simple like that :)

Advertisement