Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 6th Lord Revelstoke

Options
  • 18-03-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

The 6th Lord Revelstoke, who has died at the age of 73, was a noted flying enthusiast whose family, the Barings, have owned Lambay Island off the coast of north Co Dublin since 1904.
    James Cecil Baring, born on August 16, 1928, was the youngest son of the 4th Lord Revelstoke and inherited the title and the island with its small 'castle' and teeming wildlife on the death of his elder brother John (the 5th Lord Revelstoke) in 2003.

http://www.independent.ie/obituaries/lord-revelstoke-3053900.html

Thoughts, anyone or memories of visiting Lambay Island.

Personally my memory is of visiting the island, with my father, a retired pilot, who designed the landing strip, for the then youngest son of the 4th Lord Revelstoke, Rupert Baring, a flying enthusiast, later to become the 6th Lord, now deceased.

Invitations, to travel to the island by boat from Rogerstown, were for '' one tide'' in which case you had 3-4 hours on the island, or for ''two tides'' in which case it was a full day and evening out. Wonderful place to visit teeming with wildlife and a bird sanctuary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Theres deer on it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ecf08

I was there too, and enjoyed it. Was a bit longer than 45 mins tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I was on it many years ago on a "one tide trip". Think I had about 2 hours on it.

I always felt the island should be open to the public in some way. It could be a very lucrative business such is the wildlife. Have seen recent photos of the gardens and they are stunning.

This is the Island today from South beach in Rush
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6847319356_da566ca0de.jpg[/EMAIL]">

The Shamrock. The island ferry. Only have it in HDR so excuse the colour

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5782888255_3198374048.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

ecf08 wrote: »
    I was there too, and enjoyed it. Was a bit longer than 45 mins tho.

Sorry, meant 3-4 hours.
    Edited original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ecf08

martinn123 wrote: »
    Sorry, meant 3-4 hours.
    Edited original post

Yup that was about it. Interesting place, i especially loved the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Saw a Facebook page called Skerries Seatours who do tours out to Lambay. They posted this an hour ago

Lambay Island tour this Saturday 24th march,7seats available departing 12:30pm.To book please contact Eoin 0863043847 or email Skerries.seatours@gmail.com

I'm not associated with them but thought it might interest some here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Saw a Facebook page called Skerries Seatours who do tours out to Lambay. They posted this an hour ago

Lambay Island tour this Saturday 24th march,7seats available departing 12:30pm.To book please contact Eoin 0863043847 or email Skerries.seatours@gmail.com

I'm not associated with them but thought it might interest some here

I wonder if they've permission to land on the island or do they just sail around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

AFAIK - It is a spin out to the island, but not landing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

martinn123 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/obituaries/lord-revelstoke-3053900.html

Thoughts, anyone or memories of visiting Lambay Island.

Personally my memory is of visiting the island, with my father, a retired pilot, who designed the landing strip, for the then youngest son of the 4th Lord Revelstoke, Rupert Baring, a flying enthusiast, later to become the 6th Lord, now deceased.

Invitations, to travel to the island by boat from Rogerstown, were for '' one tide'' in which case you had 3-4 hours on the island, or for ''two tides'' in which case it was a full day and evening out. Wonderful place to visit teeming with wildlife and a bird sanctuary.

There seems to be a certain fascination with the Island particularly on Boards.ie if you do a cross site seach some howlers pop up inrelation to the Island.

3 things I learnt about Lambay from Boards contributors
    • Lambay is part of Great Britain(popped up more than once)
    • The Garda have no jurisdiction on the Island
    • Its a hippy commune and has a history of orgies(wonder was that when LeoB was visiting the Island?:pac:)

There seems to be a certain fascination with the Island particularly on Boards.ie if you do a cross site seach some howlers pop up inrelation to the Island.
    There is a big facimation with the island ok. Its so close yet sort of untouchable!

3 things I learnt about Lambay from Boards contributors

Lambay is part of Great Britain(popped up more than once)
    Some would probably like it that way.

• The Garda have no jurisdiction on the Island
      Some other cynics say they have none on streets of Fingal
    Its a hippy commune and has a history of orgies(wonder was that when LeoB was visiting the Island?:pac:)
    Who says you cant bring the mountain to Mohamme.
    Was there a hippy comune at one stage on Skerries Island around 1969/70? I cant go back that far! Maybe you can:D

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    Was there a hippy comune at one stage on Skerries Island around 1969/70? I cant go back that far! Maybe you can:D

I get a nosebleed when I cross the border into Skerries:D Perhaps one of the Goats might know about the hippy commune in Skerries, if it existed.

If I remember correctly - there was talk back in the 70's of 'The Screamers' purchasing Shenick Island from the estate of Lord Holmpatrick to set up a commune.

However, I think that Dublin Co Co stepped in & purchased the island to prevent this.

If I remember correctly - there was talk back in the 70's of 'The Screamers' purchasing Shenick Island from the estate of Lord Holmpatrick to set up a commune.

However, I think that Dublin Co Co stepped in & purchased the island to prevent this.

Tell us you thats where you got your name from HB

No great on how to copy from an old article but here is what it says.

"Swami Vishnu Devananda, a good Skerries name ok stood on his head with joy. His two hippie companions cried This is wild, this is beautiful. Irish tempers boiled.

The cause of the hippies joy was St. Patricks Island in Dublin Bay. Locals call it a rats paradise while the hippies want to make it a paradise for the love generation if they can raise $48,000

They agreed to pay $4,800 deposit

You can read the rest here
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=PtsLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PVcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3308,130537&dq=hippies+in+skerries&hl=en

So HB and beasty how are the pony tails. You guys some sort of loveeee machines! Not that I am interested in that particular role:D

Tell us you thats where you got your name from HB

No great on how to copy from an old article but here is what it says.

"Swami Vishnu Devananda, a good Skerries name ok stood on his head with joy. His two hippie companions cried This is wild, this is beautiful. Irish tempers boiled.

The cause of the hippies joy was St. Patricks Island in Dublin Bay. Locals call it a rats paradise while the hippies want to make it a paradise for the love generation if they can raise $48,000

They agreed to pay $4,800 deposit

You can read the rest here
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=PtsLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PVcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3308,130537&dq=hippies+in+skerries&hl=en

Good Link Leo, love the article in the Montreal Gazette, stating the hippies had offered facilities on the Island to the IRA.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jZcuAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mqEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3437,7647409&dq=skerries&hl=en

One local man was quoted as saying "Imagine having that big bunch of unwashed wastrels out there".:D

Nice article from the Fingal Indo 2006 about life on Lambay Island and changes over the years.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/local-notes/life-on-lambay-special-report-665094.html

...So HB and beasty how are the pony tails.

That ship sailed some time ago for the pair of us... :o

Now - back to the late Lord Revelstoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Part of the garden in this attachment from the last time i was there

Advertisement