Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minecraft on iMac

• 18-03-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

I bought Minecraft for my son but it keeps overheating the laptop and shutting it down. He tried playing it on my iMac but he says it is very slow and jumpy. Can it be played properly on a mac? Why is it overheating my laptop?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What's the spec of both machines? Minecraft (like many games) has a minimum system requirements that must be met for it to work (or be playable).

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=183063
    recommended
    CPU 3GHz Dual core
    RAM 2GB
    GPU AMD 4000 or Nvida equivalent

minimum
    CPU 2 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD equivalent
    RAM 1GB
    GPU AMD 3000 or Nvida equivalent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I can't remember the exact spec of the laptop but from what I remember it is an i5 with a dedicated graphics card, I bought it specifically for gaming but I didn't get to do much gaming on it as things worked out. The mac is a brand new iMac, i5 again, not sure about the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I bought Minecraft for my son but it keeps overheating the laptop and shutting it down. He tried playing it on my iMac but he says it is very slow and jumpy. Can it be played properly on a mac? Why is it overheating my laptop?
    Minecraft is not very demanding so I'd look at getting the laptop fixed and/or think of were you put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Should it play properly on the mac if it is not too demanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I disagree. Its a very demanding game. Well on my laptop it anyway.

The CPU is generally pegged at 99% with the javaw.exe taking all the CPU.

2.2 Dual Core
    3GB Ram
    NVidia GeForce 8600M GT

My Laptop is crazy hot while playing. However it doesnt shutdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

It works on my 13" MacBook Pro so there shouldn't be any problems with the iMac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

cue iAir dissing my macbook pro! :D

It should work perfectly fine on the imac. Is your son on a server when he says it is "running slow"? If that is the case then it could be the internet speed.

Advertisement