Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southern Gothic

Options
  • 18-03-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Recommend me good starting points for the following, if you would:

William Faulkner
    Thomas Wolfe
    Flannery O'Connor

I haven't read anything by those three.

And any other favourites in the genre.

Much obliged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor is brilliant (her short stories are worth a look too), and Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury might well be my favorite novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

As I Lay Dying, or, Absalom, Absalom for Faulkner! Haven't yet read those others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

For Faulkner I would suggest you start with The Sound and the Fury - considered to be amongst his best work and I think a good way to get introduced to him.

It's set in his fictional Yoknapatawpha County in Mississippi. I think this novel gives you a good intro to Faulkner, his fictional world and his characters. Here is a map of Yoknapatawpha showing where Faulkner set many of his novels.

bigyoknamap2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O' Connor is one of my all-time favourite short stories. It's very Quentin Tarantino-esque, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I know this isn't by an author you specified but it does qualify as Southern Gothic.

A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It was published 11 years after his suicide and he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously for it. Quite a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I'm quite a fan of Faulkner's short stories. "A Rose for Emily" is probably the most well known one. I also love "That Evening Sun"
    Agree with the recommendation for A Good Man is Hard to Find - probably some of the best short stories you will ever read.

Advertisement