Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the word for commonly a accepted theory, though not yet proven?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Ehm... Yeh, that's what I meant! :D

Anyway, do you agree with my main point (that there's a difference between scientific and colloquial use of the word)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Richie15 wrote: »
    Anyway, do you agree with my main point (that there's a difference between scientific and colloquial use of the word)?

Certainly unscientific common talk between persons occurs with some liberty of expression as pertains to their discussions of theories, associated hypotheses, and the use of terms such as proof and disproof.

Advertisers sometimes take unfortunate liberties with such terms as proven and disproven. Heard one the other day on the telly: "Numerous clinical studies have proven that... (a brand name mattress improves sleep)," when clinical studies informed by the scientific method never prove anything.

It should also be noted that disciplines outside of those strictly informed by the scientific method and its conventions may use the "proof" term appropriate to their disciplines; e.g., legal proof, mathematical proof, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement