Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green house, poly tunnel?

Options
  • 18-03-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My father retired a month ago. He was always into gardening and growing stuff. I know he would love a green house. I want to get him one as a present but I haven't a glue what to buy him. Plus I'm unemployed and going back to college so money is tight but I've been saving for a while to buy him one.
    I want to get him a good one when I'm at it. He will glow veg in there. What size should I get,should I get a tunnel or a green house?
    Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sorry but need to ask a personal question, how much do you have to spend? That will totally dictate what you can do. Lucky him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

About 10 years ago, I bought half a salvaged polytunnel for 50 euro. It had been through a storm. I had 3 hoops and the horizontal bars. It's about 10 foot tall and about 20 foot long. I then bought half the plastic for another 50 euro. It's brilliant. It's not only productive, but nice to sit out in and it acts a bit as an extended sittingroom . I have 2 grape vines and during winter, I grow salad potatoes, lettuces, spinach and herbs. In the summer i have tomatoes, a pumpkin, cucumbers a some tropical plants. It's also great to start seedlings.
    A greenhouse doesn't have the same 'feel' to it. When I go to my tunnel , with a cuppa and the paper, to have a sit down, I'm in another world.
    I'm sure if you look on youtube, there are demonstrations on how to make your own polytunnel. It would work out a lot cheaper than a greenhouse.

About 10 years ago, I bought half a salvaged polytunnel for 50 euro. It had been through a storm. I had 3 hoops and the horizontal bars. It's about 10 foot tall and about 20 foot long. I then bought half the plastic for another 50 euro. It's brilliant. It's not only productive, but nice to sit out in and it acts a bit as an extended sittingroom . I have 2 grape vines and during winter, I grow salad potatoes, lettuces, spinach and herbs. In the summer i have tomatoes, a pumpkin, cucumbers a some tropical plants. It's also great to start seedlings.
    A greenhouse doesn't have the same 'feel' to it. When I go to my tunnel , with a cuppa and the paper, to have a sit down, I'm in another world.
    I'm sure if you look on youtube, there are demonstrations on how to make your own polytunnel. It would work out a lot cheaper than a greenhouse.

Would love to hear more about your grape vines (sorry for side-tracking the original post). Thinking of starting one in my 10 x 20 foot tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Thanks all.
    I've about 300 quid(so far, if I need to save more I will)
    Yellowlabrador that sounds exactly like what im looking for, when I was reading your post I could actually picture my father in there. What size is yours? Sounds deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Would love to hear more about your grape vines (sorry for side-tracking the original post). Thinking of starting one in my 10 x 20 foot tunnel.

The variety I have is 'Hamburg'. It's very productive and I grew it from cuttings. I can send you some rooted cuttings I made last year. It takes about 3 years to get grapes. You can also buy larger plants in garden centres.

I get over 100 kg of grapes every year, they are eating grapes and very sweet and tasty. I've posted a link to picassa, as you can see, it's a healthy vigorous plant. I've also posted photos of a banana I grew in the polytunnel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112109492043457884023/Polytunnel?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLouOqt7-rM6wE

• Advertisement

rothai, 300 hundred wouldn't get you much of quality unfortunately. For a new bought tunnel you would be looking at around 600 for a 10 x 20 foot without extras. For 300 hundred you might get a small polycarbonate greenhouse, but you would want to do a lot of reasearch as the quality at this sort of price tends not to be great. In general, per squar foot, polytunnels are much much cheaper to buy.
    I made a DIY one last year and it's going great. Here's my thread ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74134761

You could defo do it for under 300. Maybe it could be a good project to take on for you both?

Thanks very much yellowlabrador!! If you don't mind I'll get back to you on the cuttings, I really appreciate the offer. That sounds like an amazing yield, yummy. First season inthe tunnel so not sure about what will go where yet :) That's some banana tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

thanks a mill for advice. I guess i'll keep saving and way up the options!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

More good advice from redser. Greenhouses cost significantly more but are generally not worth the extra cost for hobby growing. Cost of around 600 would be right for a decent starter tunnel, although if you shop around you could do better. Homemade tunnels are a good option if you have the time to look into the options and do the build. Its a lovely idea and I wish you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Google : Nwth Leitrim , polytunels for 300 , job done

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

Did that search and came up with 500 as the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

plenty of advice here op but not too much that pertains to your original post.

2 completely different animals here - greenhouse or tunnel....and sure the consensus is for the bigger tunnel structure over the smaller polycarb greenhouse......but how many of the opinions are from ppl of a similar demographic as your retired Father?

the reality is that they are 2 completly different structures offering diff advantages and only you can be sure what is best for the oul fella'

an 8'x6' greenhouse goes for abouty €400 but an 20'x10' polytunnel can be got for €500.........but does he want to do the double the growing?
    and twice the work? or will it just turn him off?

Google : Nwth Leitrim , polytunels for 300 , job done

HI - have you got the link. I just found one for 500 too. If the one you found are the cheap type with green mash type cover, then stay clear of them. They blow away and don't last long.

redser7 wrote: »
    HI - have you got the link. I just found one for 500 too. If the one you found are the cheap type with green mash type cover, then stay clear of them. They blow away and don't last long.

there not the green mesh type , heres the contact link , and just ring and ask about the polytunnels for 300 . (and just because it doesnt say it on the website doesnt make it untrue !!!! )

www.nwth.ie/contact-us/contact-north-west-tool-hire.php

Im done

Didn't suggest it was untrue, just interested in what you get for your money casue it's a great price. WHat size is it? Cheers

redser7 wrote: »
    Didn't suggest it was untrue, just interested in what you get for your money casue it's a great price. WHat size is it? Cheers

I think 10ft long 7ft high 7ft wide. , but just make a phone call. there customer service will answer any questions. the phone number is in the link.

cant really do any more for you

Advertisement