Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a Transalp 400 CC legal for a 17 year old "L"earner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Depends on the horsepower. If it's <33p, then yes it's learner legal. Otherwise you'll have to get it restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Depends on the horsepower. If it's <33p, then yes it's learner legal. Otherwise you'll have to get it restricted.

This moto I know is learner legal for a 25 year old starting off with a provisional.

Im just wondering does a 17 year old have to start on an even lower engine size that a 25 year old for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

At 17 it's an A1 permit so only up to 125cc and under 11kw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

honda varadero 125 are good bikes i started on one of them nice to drive an good on petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Roadskill wrote: »
    At 17 it's an A1 permit so only up to 125cc and under 11kw.

Thanks. So at what age would a learner be ok on a Transalp 400 CC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

thethingis wrote: »
    Thanks. So at what age would a learner be ok on a Transalp 400 CC?

18 y/o on an A permit. Don't forget the IBT course is needed as well and if IBT is done at 16 or 17 a conversion module on a bigger bike is needed before going it alone with the A permit at 18.
    See Here
    http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

125 is the biggest unless they are 18. and dont forget to check wit the insurance companies cos just because you are legally allowed to ride it doesnt mean you will get insured on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I have absolutely no experience with that type of bike whatsoever, so I'll gladly admit that I'm talking out of my a**e here, but;

For me; starting off, it looks a bit tall / heavy, no? (With a 33bhp poke?)

I'd be afraid to drop it, and picking it up again.

I'm just wondering out loud is all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I believe, and happy to be corrected, but I believe any of the companies that do classic policies, stipulate that you need to be >25 also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

thethingis wrote: »
    Anyone know? Thanks. The plan is to get a classic 15+ year old bike and when the test is passed drop to a classic insurance policy.

http://motorcycle-specs.com/general/Honda-XL400V_Transalp-1986.jpg[/QUOTE]

check with the insurance company as well as most require that you have 1 year no claims discount to take out classic insurance

• Advertisement
Advertisement