Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD International Commerce

• 18-03-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm a sixth year student hoping to study international commerce in UCD next year. If i don't get the points theres is a commerce course without the language for lower points, in the case that i dont get commerce with french and chinese could i still go to the language lectures?
    Also, is anybody doing the course now? im doing ordinary level maths ...is it very mathsy? I'm good at ordinary level and will score at least a B
    I als love economics and business and french
    is this the right course for me?
    and i won't be staying in student accommodation i plan on renting an apartment or a house and suggestions where?
    Much appreciated for all the help in advance guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hi ! Picking the exact same chinese/french. Hopefully you get it! good luck . See you there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I'm final year BCIT French, so I've loads of info for you!

I know that the course changed last year, and now you have a chance to do two languages in first year which is class. I hope you get the international, ordinary commerce just isn't the same, in my opinion it's the year-long erasmus that makes the course, a) it's the best year ever, and b)employers love it.

If you don't get the language you could TECHNICALLY sit in on a first year French lecture, but it'd be a bit of a waste of time really. You wouldn't be able to go to the tutorials. However, each semester you get to pick an elective - which is basically ANYTHING you want that'll fit into your timetable, so you could easily take French or Chinese all the way up. I picked some cool ones - beginners' Polish and Spanish in first year, business law and Irish in second year, and this year a web design one, and one about social networking.

Maths isn't toooooo huge. There's maths for business in first semester which is grand, it's just LC maths but with practical applications. Then you've accountancy and finance modules, but they're intros in second year, so they're grand.

For accomadation, my personal recommendation is Rathmines/Ranelagh. It's reasonably priced, 15min cycle to UCD, 15min cycle to town, and it has a Tesco, Lidl, Aldi and Dunnes. What more could you ask for?

If you've any more questions feel free to PM me. I may be sitting screaming at a strategy book in the library right now, but truth to be told, I love this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 babsgirl

I'm a sixth year student hoping to study international commerce in UCD next year. If i don't get the points theres is a commerce course without the language for lower points, in the case that i dont get commerce with french and chinese could i still go to the language lectures?
    Also, is anybody doing the course now? im doing ordinary level maths ...is it very mathsy? I'm good at ordinary level and will score at least a B
    I als love economics and business and french
    is this the right course for me?
    and i won't be staying in student accommodation i plan on renting an apartment or a house and suggestions where?
    Much appreciated for all the help in advance guys :)
    hi there:)
    im in first year of commerce international and loving it so far!,picked french and chinese as my two and dropped french at christmas,a lot of us did!if your a B student at pass maths you should be ok,I got a B1 and found the maths fine,they explain everything really well and theres lots of help if you need it too.Thats the only maths module we'll really have to do but there will always be maths based subjects,data analysis,accounting etc,but with a bit of work you should be fine!
    for accomodation,i would say clonskeagh dundrum or booterstown if you dont want to walk/cycle too far
    if youve any questions about any more,PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mlad

I heard the language part of the course can be very difficult, is this true? Also what's up with the Erasmus options to America or Canada? Is there any disadvantages with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paulorickardo

I'm sorry but i don't know how to start new threads....

I'm a sixth year student looking at studying commerce international and taking up french. I was wondering if cultural modules have to be studied on the course or can you study another language in it's place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I don't study IC, but I had looked into it when I was going to pick it and I'm pretty sure the emphasis is on fluency in a language and nothing else now...but there are second years in my first year Hispanic Culture class for some reason and they also mentioned doing the module last year I think, so I'm not sure what's up there. The two languages and business would, I imagine, take up way too much time to allow any cultural stuff anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭charliehotel

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I don't study IC, but I had looked into it when I was going to pick it and I'm pretty sure the emphasis is on fluency in a language and nothing else now...but there are second years in my first year Hispanic Culture class for some reason and they also mentioned doing the module last year I think, so I'm not sure what's up there. The two languages and business would, I imagine, take up way too much time to allow any cultural stuff anyway.

You must study 2 languages for Year 1 Semester 1. For Year 1 Semester 2 you stick with 1 of those languages and are obliged to take that language's corresponding cultural/political module . BCIT has 1 elective option under the UCD Horizons scheme where you could study another subject eg.another language but that doesn't form part of your degree. So, to answer your question, no.

The culture/political module is obligatory as it is believed that they are a fundamental part to learning about a language. Those modules allow the student to have an insight into the foreign country and make the 3rd year abroad in that country a more beneficial experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

HEY ! 1st year BCIT here:D

You dont need to take any culture modules but I did ( Chinese Culture ) not my favourite but ya get a free meal ! We had a painting class this week and also Kungfu the week before ! But ya can pick any module from across UCD

Advertisement