Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muslim Cloth Vs. Face Cloth

• 18-03-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the difference is between muslim cloths and face cloths, if there is any? Which one is better for use on your skin?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I hope you mean muslin :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I use a muslin cloth as it is a gentle exfoliator and it works well with lots of cleansing lotions / creams.
    They are pretty cheap in boots, i think 8 for 3e approx.
    I find facecloths a bit too abrasive and with muslin cloths you can bin them after a couple of washes.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Whoops I did indeed mean Muslin-my bad!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

zef wrote: »
    Hi, I use a muslin cloth as it is a gentle exfoliator and it works well with lots of cleansing lotions / creams.
    They are pretty cheap in boots, i think 8 for 3e approx.
    I find facecloths a bit too abrasive and with muslin cloths you can bin them after a couple of washes.

Can you not wash and reuse then like a regular face cloth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

You can wash them and reuse them but if you use it to remove makeup it might get a bit stained. Guess that could happen to a facecloth either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

mood wrote: »
    Can you not wash and reuse then like a regular face cloth?

You can however, because the texture is so fine, it can begin to wear and tear so to say - or at least this is what I've found with mine from the bodyshop.

Thank you Zef - I wasn't aware Boots even did these, I shall now be off to boots today to get my hands on some, great value too. I recall paying at least €5 for two cloths - such a shame but she had me sold straight away, as my face was just having a bad week. I kept repurchasing then, but €3 for 8? Much better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

what are the quality of the body shop and boots mueslin cloths does anyone know?
    I only use my liz Earle cloths, I hate the cloth that comes with the no.7 hot cloth cleanser and the cloth with the botanics cleansing balm is more awful still.

what are the quality of the body shop and boots mueslin cloths does anyone know?
    I only use my liz Earle cloths, I hate the cloth that comes with the no.7 hot cloth cleanser and the cloth with the botanics cleansing balm is more awful still.

I can't speak for the boots range cloth, as i've only just found out they exist!

However as for the Bodyshop range ,it's quite a fragile piece of material i mean, after two washes at a low heat its pretty much in bits, the price is a bit steep in comparison to the boots - the last time I bough them (from bodyshop) it was 2 in a pack for something €5+ euro maybe €6 ,not entirely sure.

I mean the first time you use them, you'll wonder why you haven't been using them before now, but - even then they just don't last that long and, i've repurchased them quite a few times now (foolish i know) but recently I started reverting back to a basic face cloth (destroying my skin in the process!) just because i cannot be bother paying 5/6 a pop for 2 cloths every month! (i use the cloths quite regularly)

Maybe Zef can give you some info on the boots side of things? Out of curiousity how much did your liz earl ones cost you, and how long do they last?

the quality is really good, if you bothered boiling them and ironing them they do look new but I obviously don't. had mine for a year now and I reckon ill get another year outta them at almost. have about five on the go atm.
    price is 2 for 4.25 or 6 for 10.50
    they sell liz Earle in Miltown, Wilde and green but I don't know if you can buy the cloths on their own.
    other then that you've to get it on their site, and shippings a killer 6 or 7 euro

the quality is really good, if you bothered boiling them and ironing them they do look new but I obviously don't. had mine for a year now and I reckon ill get another year outta them at almost. have about five on the go atm.
    price is 2 for 4.25 or 6 for 10.50
    they sell liz Earle in Miltown, Wilde and green but I don't know if you can buy the cloths on their own.
    other then that you've to get it on their site, and shippings a killer 6 or 7 euro

I did try boiling and iron on my last ones, but sadly, it didn't improve the quality of the texture, it literally feels like i've taken rags from some other clothing and using that ,sounds disgusting - sorry. It's not like abuse them, i do use them quite a bit but always wash them like ,so maybe that's it ,but i worry that bacteria will form up (ive heard the horror stories enough times,to scare me lol)

Shipping is steep, but it's not too bad if i bought bulks of them - i may try the boots ones first, either get them today or sometime next week & see how i get on from there :) i'll let you my comparison (boots vs bodyshop) if you wish?

• Advertisement

oh that'd be great thanks. I'm thinking the boots ones will be the same as the cloth that comes with the no. 7 cleanser so I'm skeptical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was looking for these Boots cloths too, but they don't seem to have them in my local store. Which is giant, so I don't know why they don't stock them...:mad:

oh that'd be great thanks. I'm thinking the boots ones will be the same as the cloth that comes with the no. 7 cleanser so I'm skeptical

Ohno, what is the no.7 cleanser cloths?? :\ i don't want them..if theyre what i think they are *googles* they look very heavy looking, more face-clothy rather than muslin!

--

I just went to boots site there, i found http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Muslin-Squares-6Pack_24777/ these - I know it's £ ,but if this is what Zef was on about, then i'd be happy to try them!

Malari wrote: »
    I was looking for these Boots cloths too, but they don't seem to have them in my local store. Which is giant, so I don't know why they don't stock them...:mad:

Really?!? Eek, I really hope that isn't the case for everywhere, i don't want to go back to bodyshop to get those overpriced ones! :(

If I can't get them in Ireland, I am defiantly having my mate buy them in the UK. Fingers crossed they were just restocking when you had a look Malari, and you get your hands on some very soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh yeah, that's a good idea, could get my sis in the UK to post some to me if it comes to it.

Are they in the baby section? Or in the cleansing section?

Malari wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's a good idea, could get my sis in the UK to post some to me if it comes to it.

Are they in the baby section? Or in the cleansing section?

I've no idea, I just typed in 'muslin cloth' into the search bar on Boots.com - and it gave me a very few options, i saw those ones - I would say they'd be in the cleansers section, although you never know with boots,eh could be the baby section! It doens't show on the site.

Maybe when zef is online again s/he can tell us!? :)

I've looked a few times in boots for muslin cloths in the section where they sell face cloths etc but no luck.

has anyone found a good substitute to the liz Earle cloths? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Just to let you all know, I decided to get some and I actually found them in Mothercare. It cost €24.99 for 12 which might seem expensive but the cloths themselves are MASSIVE. Hence I cut them up and have managed to get about 15 decent squares out of each one, which I use twice and then throw away. I think its great value.

Also, I think they work much better than facecloths. My skin seems brighter and softer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I bought muslin cloths in tesco's baby section a while back, €5 for 6 giant cloths which I cut up into 6 squares each. The squares are big enough to cover my face-about the same size as the cloth that comes with no.7's Hot Cloth Cleanser, which is the cloth I was looking to replace :)

I've looked a few times in boots for muslin cloths in the section where they sell face cloths etc but no luck.

has anyone found a good substitute to the liz Earle cloths? :(

Ladies, I just remembered something... when I was in college ( a few years ago) we needed muslin cloths for projects and I recall getting mine in Hickeys in town - I cant remember exactly how much I got, but i do remember it worked out well in terms of price. I'd say they still sold it.

It's worth a look if boots fails on not stocking them anymore?
    Perhaps you could try their ginger? If I can remember anywhere else or I come across anywhere else,i'll post it up here :)

jokettle wrote: »
    I bought muslin cloths in tesco's baby section a while back, €5 for 6 giant cloths which I cut up into 6 squares each. The squares are big enough to cover my face-about the same size as the cloth that comes with no.7's Hot Cloth Cleanser, which is the cloth I was looking to replace :)

Are they ,the same texture as the no.7's cleansing cloth though?
    If not, nice one -tesco it is then :) Thank you Jokettle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

lisaface wrote: »
    Are they ,the same texture as the no.7's cleansing cloth though?
    If not, nice one -tesco it is then :) Thank you Jokettle :D

I think they're a little bit thinner, but still do the job perfectly imo. I use them with another Clinique cleanser and I'm happy with them. Also, I think they hold the heat a bit better than the no. 7 cloth; maybe that's just because they're slightly bigger? I'd have thought the thinner the cloth, the less heat it would retain....maybe I'm imagining it though! Well worth a try at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I got a pack of three in Tescos in the baby aisle. They are huge so I cut them into smaller clothes. They wash pretty well too.

I alternate muslin with face clothes depending on how my skin feels or what cleanser I am using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

I was in Boots, Jervis on Tuesday and they had no muslin cloths. I asked an employee and when she looked up the system she said they didn't even seem to have them in the warehouse, so she didn't know when they would be back in. Previously, I have used the Boots muslin cloths which are sold in the baby section of Boots. They are much bigger sizes and need to be cut to a more usable size. Also, they are slightly more abrasive so not ideal. Tescos sell quite fine face cloths at a reasonable price, so perhaps that might suit?

I went to boots yesterday ,and they didn't have them - they had sanctury ones ,but for the price (€10) for again only 2 in a pack, i didn't think it was worth it. An employee told me that they will be restocking on tuesday and to try again then - i'm confused, if there isn't any in Ireland as the user above has said, then, why is this lady telling me to come back on Tuesday!?

I'll try Tesco instead :) Thank you for the recommendations ladies, much appreciate :)

lisaface wrote: »
    I can't speak for the boots range cloth, as i've only just found out they exist!

However as for the Bodyshop range ,it's quite a fragile piece of material i mean, after two washes at a low heat its pretty much in bits, the price is a bit steep in comparison to the boots - the last time I bough them (from bodyshop) it was 2 in a pack for something €5+ euro maybe €6 ,not entirely sure.

I mean the first time you use them, you'll wonder why you haven't been using them before now, but - even then they just don't last that long and, i've repurchased them quite a few times now (foolish i know) but recently I started reverting back to a basic face cloth (destroying my skin in the process!) just because i cannot be bother paying 5/6 a pop for 2 cloths every month! (i use the cloths quite regularly)

Maybe Zef can give you some info on the boots side of things? Out of curiousity how much did your liz earl ones cost you, and how long do they last?

How did a regular facecloth destroy your skin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Was in the Body Shop today and bought 3 muslin cloths for 9.95 euro. They are an off white colour and are quite big. They are also very soft, so although sold for baby purposes, they would be perfectly acceptable for use on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Ive been meaning to try muslin cloths for months now...how do I use them with my cleanser?

lisaface how did using a face cloth destroy your skin? I use one all the time so obviously don't want that to happen me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

lilmizzme wrote: »
    Ive been meaning to try muslin cloths for months now...how do I use them with my cleanser?

I'm taking my instruction from the no7 hot cloth cleanser. Basically I rub my cleanser in in the usual way and instead of rinsing off or wiping with a cotton pad, I lay the cloth over my face for a half minute or so and kinda rub off the cleanser in circular motions. I try to be gentle with it and run the cloth under hot water before putting it on my face. I love how soft it makes my skin feel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement