Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranged co-parenting

Options
  • 18-03-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone here knows any parents that consciously arranged to rear a child without any prior romantic involvement?

I'd love to know a little more about how this works out, I wonder what the downsides might be for example.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What do you mean exactly? Adopting/Fostering as a non-couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't know anyone who has actually done it OP, but there are a few websites (mostly UK ones) that also have 'connection' sections for people in Ireland looking for someone to have a baby with. In a girl meets boy's sperm kinda way.

I would imagine there are a whole load of potential downsides in having a child with what is basically a stranger. I dunno if you're gay, but I have a notion that it's more common with gay people who want to have kids. Though maybe I've just been watching too much telly :) Could be an avenue to do your research in though!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭digiology

Orion, yeah I suppose so, though I'm not sure it matters how the child comes into existence (except maybe when it comes to legal issues).

Teyla, I don't necessarily mean a stranger, I could only see it working if they knew and trusted each other very well.

In many ways this just seems sensible, there is no risk of breaking up a family any more than it might be from the beginning and prospective parents don't need to be waiting for their perfect soulmate before having a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And what happens if you meet your perfect soulmate and they want a 'normal' family? Or aren't interested in dating a single parent with such baggage? Or you reduce your chances to meet that partner in the first place due to the time commitment of being a parent?

In the ideal world these things obviously wouldn't be an issue but this is the real world which is far from ideal and often downright cruel.

Not saying I agree with those viewpoints by the way, I've every respect for single parents (I've had a child with and am marrying one!) but it's a tough life that most wouldn't choose.

Advertisement