Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video of Galway before streets were pedestrianised

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

FFS.

What year was this? I reckon circa 1990

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It has changed but not really all that much! Nice place all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The narrator sure is narrating. Every. Thing.

Look how nice Eyre Square used to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Spotted one or two familiar faces there!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I'd say that's more mid 80s. My memory doesn't stretch much further back, & I have no memory of that black place to the right of monroes. Most other things (I think) I remember.

Man if Lydons was open again on shop st. like it was back in the day (in video) it would no doubt do great business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I'd say that's more mid 80s.

Nah, at 2:13 there's a '92 car reg. I was on the look-out :)

• Advertisement

Nah, at 2:13 there's a '92 car reg. I was on the look-out :)

Good spot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

& I have no memory of that black place to the right of monroes.

WEas later destroyed by a fire, if I remember correctly.

"Tour of the British Isles"?

GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

GTFO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

• Advertisement

aw wrote: »

GTFO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

This WIKI is often quoted! It is worth reiterating the following paragraph for those who only read the first bit and go "so there" ;)

"The term British Isles is controversial in Ireland,[8][13] where there are objections to its usage due to the association of the word British with Ireland.[14] The Government of Ireland does not use the term[15] and its embassy in London discourages its use.[16] As a result, Britain and Ireland is becoming a preferred description,[14][17][18] and Atlantic Archipelago is increasingly favoured in academia,[19][20][21][22] although British Isles is still commonly employed.[17]"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

these lads reckon the pedestrianisation happened in '98.

http://www.mccambridges.com/news/0/press_releases/post/irish_times_sat_13th_august_shop_street
    While the pedestrianisation of 1998 benefited Ryan’s business, due to hugely increased footfall on a street that had become known for its traffic congestion, across the street the food emporium McCambridge’s struggled to reposition itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

At 3.32, is that radio John at his usual spot

LOL! At about 5:10 he tells you about taking a ferry out to the 'Aran Islands', to see Irish culture that is about "A century old"!!

Feckin Aran blow-ins!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nice to see the crusties are still the same today as they were back then. lol.

Nice to see the crusties are still the same today as they were back then. lol.
    In the vid is what I would call the real Crusties. They were all over the place in the 90s. You don't get as many of them with the dreads & ponchos these days. Either that or I've filtered them out.

Jesus I've probably ploughed down a few of them while driving through Cross St. if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wow! Sean Ryan with dark hair!

Mr justMary arrived here in 90-something, will get him to watch tomorrow to see who he recognizes.

In the vid is what I would call the real Crusties. They were all over the place in the 90s. You don't get as many of them with the dreads & ponchos these days. Either that or I've filtered them out.

Jesus I've probably ploughed down a few of them while driving through Cross St. if that's the case.

A few faces on the vid still knocking about town, albeit with slightly shorter hair!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Another pre-pedestrianisation video of a car journey from Bridge Street to Bohermor, when the flags were out for the opening of the Galway cathedral.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I remember cars were able to drive down shop street as recently as 1998.

I know this because I remember watching Galway win the All-Ireland that September in the Kings Head and subsequently seeing a few drivers literally terrorized by lads jumping onto their cars as they drove down shop/high street!

• Advertisement
Advertisement