Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good game ammunition

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

I'd love to get my hands on RWS ammunition,Normas another good brand and Superformance by Hornady. Anybody on this know a gun dealer who sells these brands? Caliber .243. I believe RWS is supposed to be the worlds top brand but i can imagine the prices for that brand be crazy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Picked up a few boxes of Superformance down in Enniscorthy 2 weeks ago. They were originally €39 a box I think but as I was buyin a few boxes and a few bits and bobs I think yer man gave me a few pound off. So far have shot 2 foxes with them. 1 was only about 130 yds (he got split in half nearly) the other was between 250 and 300 yards and there was hardly anything left of his front end. Great round and accuracy is deadly too. Alot more accurate than federal I find. A bit on the pricy side but I bought 60, thats bound to get me a years foxing with the amount I do ! at the end of the day you get what you pay for :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Wha ya lookin to shoot lad? Foxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Picked up a few boxes of Superformance down in Enniscorthy 2 weeks ago. They were originally €39 a box I think but as I was buyin a few boxes and a few bits and bobs I think yer man gave me a few pound off. So far have shot 2 foxes with them. 1 was only about 130 yds (he got split in half nearly) the other was between 250 and 300 yards and there was hardly anything left of his front end. Great round and accuracy is deadly too. Alot more accurate than federal I find. A bit on the pricy side but I bought 60, thats bound to get me a years foxing with the amount I do ! at the end of the day you get what you pay for :cool:
    What caliber and grain were the superformance? 39euro is steep isn't it. On the hornady site they are advertising them at roughly $3 more than the v-max. Very good round tho. Thanks for the info.

Wha ya lookin to shoot lad? Foxes?
    Foxs. Well if i got a good brand and price was right i'd stick with them. I'd buy a carton to last me the year

4200fps wrote: »
    What caliber and grain were the superformance? 39euro is steep isn't it. On the hornady site they are advertising them at roughly $3 more than the v-max. Very good round tho. Thanks for the info.

95g .243 ! and now I feel sick , Was in Sportsden in Navan this mornin buying a few rounds for the .22 and asked if he had Superformance in .243... He's selling them for €32.50 and said if Im buyin a few boxes he'd Leave it at €30 a box or do a deal of €145 if I bought 100 ! Was sickened :(
    They do offer a delivery service too which is handy for any of you that live too far to drive !

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/hornady-243-95gr-sst.html

The only reason I went into yer man in Enniscorthy was it was part of the agreement in getting me to visit the other halfs sister while down there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I found Scully the cheapest.
    Don't know if this helps but but the shooting ground in Knocknagoshal is €34.50 a box Duffys 1s €38 a box and Scully in Athlone is €33 but gave them to me for €30 when I went back 2 weeks Later he gave me 2 boxes for €55, all of these were Hondady 130g SST . .270 Win. I assume he is as cheap in the other calibers.:)

In case ye are thinking I am promoting Scully, It was the only 2 times I was in the shop. And I have bought a gun in Knocknagoshal and another from Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

In case ye are thinking I am promoting Scully, It was the only 2 times I was in the shop. And I have bought a gun in Knocknagoshal and another from Duffy.
    thats allowed lad! We all share good deals when we get em

95g .243 ! and now I feel sick , Was in Sportsden in Navan this mornin buying a few rounds for the .22 and asked if he had Superformance in .243... He's selling them for €32.50 and said if Im buyin a few boxes he'd Leave it at €30 a box or do a deal of €145 if I bought 100 ! Was sickened :(
    They do offer a delivery service too which is handy for any of you that live too far to drive !

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-accessories/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/hornady-243-95gr-sst.html

The only reason I went into yer man in Enniscorthy was it was part of the agreement in getting me to visit the other halfs sister while down there :p
    Fair play to you for finding out. what grain where they in superformance? i'm looking for 80grain

I found Scully the cheapest.
    Don't know if this helps but but the shooting ground in Knocknagoshal is €34.50 a box Duffys 1s €38 a box and Scully in Athlone is €33 but gave them to me for €30 when I went back 2 weeks Later he gave me 2 boxes for €55, all of these were Hondady 130g SST . .270 Win. I assume he is as cheap in the other calibers.:)

Well German pointer..Did he stock .243 in superformance? What county is scully in? You got a good deal for the .270 as trapper sells them at 40euro a box and he said that's cheap compared to others lol. I said to myself yeah right, the wheels still spinning but the hamsters dead he must think customers are simple paying that

Fair play to you for finding out. what grain where they in superformance? i'm looking for 80grain

As far as I know he just has the 95g, If he had the 80g I would have got them myself. I have yet to see 80g anywhere :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

recommend to me a brand / low grain in the .243 would be priced right and flat shooting for greycrows?.............

Federal 55g v max , my rifle doesnt like federal at all but a friend of mine shoots nothing but them for foxes and when out zeroing I have seen some fairly impressive groups at 200 yds . Think he buys them 100 at a time for €140

recommend to me a brand / low grain in the .243 would be priced right and flat shooting for greycrows?.............

If you know Karl Scollan in Drumshambo Co. Leitrim you can ask him what he has. He sells 100 grain soft point remmys for 20euro a box so he may have cheaper for you. If you want his number i'll send it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

hornady 58 grain v max
    is what i use
    i used to use norma 75 grain v max
    excellent longrange ammo
    but i can't get it anywhere anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Des Mulvihill in Mullingar Outdoor Sports had the 58gr Hornadys last time I was in, my friend got few boxes, have yet to try them out though

tfox wrote: »
    Des Mulvihill in Mullingar Outdoor Sports had the 58gr Hornadys last time I was in, my friend got few boxes, have yet to try them out though
    He's a brother of David i think. If he is i assume he's the same price as David for them at 35euro a box. Karl Scollan is 30euro a box for the very same. There's way to many gun dealers ripping people off on ammo and they are buying them in for sfa. 58 grain be very flat shooting but i'd love to get 80gr superformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Yeah he's david's brother. according to the box I think was 1" at 100, den bang on at 200, cant complain bout that !!

tfox wrote: »
    Yeah he's david's brother. according to the box I think was 1" at 100, den bang on at 200, cant complain bout that !!
    I pasted two superformance rounds for the .243 and the difference is huge between the standard v-max. Its impressive i think

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-80-gr.-GMX-Superformance/
    http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-558gr-V-MAX-Superformance/

and you can see the difference in ft/lbs and fps is compared to the standard brands pasted below

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-58-gr-V-MAX-Moly/
    http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-87-gr-SST-customlite/

The 80 grain superformance is better than the 87gr customlite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Well German pointer..Did he stock .243 in superformance? What county is scully in?

Athlone. Dont know what his stock .243 stock is like

I rang Scullys 3 times today and no answer. I then rang Island Sports and the only superformance they had is stock was 95 grain. I asked how much and he said 42euro a box. I asked could he do better than that and he said only if i bought a carton which is 420 euro. Well he can stick them if he wants 42euro a box. If he said 38 euro it would sound about right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Scully Guns and Tackle is only open Wednesday to Saturday now since Gerry passed away. Give a call tomorrow and there should be someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I seen them in patrickcarleyfirearms.com for €35. He posts stuff on to lads if it suits ya

ssl wrote: »
    I seen them in patrickcarleyfirearms.com for €35. He posts stuff on to lads if it suits ya
    Thats great information. I wonder what grain they are. I will call him tomorrow if i get a chance

dev110 wrote: »
    Scully Guns and Tackle is only open Wednesday to Saturday now since Gerry passed away. Give a call tomorrow and there should be someone there.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement