Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Waterproof Jacket and Trousers

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

This has probably been done to death, but what waterproof and breathable jackets would people recommend.

My main use will be following hounds which involves a lot of walking and harship so I suppose what I am looking for is something waterproof, rugged and breathable.

Also where is a good place to buy this stuff?

I am currently using army gear, which is fine for most conditions but isn't very good in very heavy rain.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have a pair of Fjallraven trousers. They're breathable enough, if a little warm in hotter weather, but for anything colder, they're superb. Getting anything waterproof and breathable is going to be a losing battle, but for me, they're not too bad, and they do keep water out, even a proper soaking, so I can put up with them not being as breathable as a pair that'll let in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Try cabelas maybe? nice goretex camo gear on it. Don't worry there's 100s here that will help you out on this topic give it a few hours and this thread be red hot lol. By the way some army jackets are goretex if your near ballyconnel there's a shop that sell ex army clothes and boots and he is very nice to deal with but forget the name of the shop. He's the best boots going and will guarantee most of his best gear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Theres a few deals/clearence on the sportsmanguncentre.com website,,,, delivery 15euro i think................someone reviewed a jacket from them here lastweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Iv 2, one is a brittish army smock, its gortex and has stood up to the worst weather, i have the trousers to go with it but rarely use them. Recently got a deerhunter jacket and it is class for hunting, its warm and keeps the wind and rain out just as good as the army one, iv yet to use it in terrential rain but iv no reason to doubt it wont be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cork Rebel

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

Where is ballyconnell, is it an army surplus store?

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 bb1

For the activity your describing I'd recommend these: http://www.premiersurplus.co.uk/more/on/details/00310

I have them a couple of years and they've been out busting through Briar's and Hawthorn most weekends after Foxes and Game. Also used Lamping and often had to ly down on wet soggy hills to get a shot off, and I'd get up bone dry.

They're tough as nails, and most importantly breathable.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

Best in my experience is jack pike we use them nearly every1 I no swears by them

Thanks for the replies,

BB1 they look like the business alright, I will definelty look into them, I had something like that in mind.

Are they light enough? Are they lined. I am not looking for anything to warm as I'd be doing plenty of walking.

Thanks,

Cork Rebel wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

Where is ballyconnell, is it an army surplus store?

Thanks for your help.
    If your coming in from the Ballinamore side you go half way up through the town on the main street heading for Derrylin and on your right you will see a statue of an Indian outside his shop. You cant miss it. He had ex US military Gortex light coats the last time i was there. I bought a second hand pair of ex German army boots that are fully water proof and he said he can give me 5 years guarantee with them but 100euro well worth it. He stocks every type of camo clothing,combats,sweaters,army backpacks, balaclavas,gloves,camo nets for hiding vehicles that's ideal for hides,all camo types from every nation he got it new or secondhand and very nice to deal with. I go to him every year. I could go on for ever with all he has.

Good town for cheapest heating oil but beware of customs

Thanks 4200FPS,

I wonder will he post.

I will look him up on google for a number.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I have to second the deer hunter range I got one this year and never looked back. Best clothning I ever got. Kept me dry in the worst conditions. Plus ya can get fleece lined ones or ones without lining that are still plenty warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I've been using jack pyke stuff of late and found it to be very good, especially given the price.

These guys are nice to deal with and Irish:
    http://www.activehuntingireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Jack Pyke stuff is average at best. Don't expect it to be brilliant at the price-point.

Thanks 4200FPS,

I wonder will he post.

I will look him up on google for a number.

Thanks,

If you cant find him ring 11811 and ask for any butcher shop or chemist in Ballyconnel, any of the shops in that town will know straight away the name of the shop and may even have a number for him. I'd say he would post no bother. There's a woman who works there too but himself be the best to get in touch with. The woman in the shop would give you a pocket rocket if you seen her lol

Has anyone bought the gore tex camo gear in the Army Surplus store in Carrigtwohill, Co. Cork?

If so what are they like?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bb1

Are they light enough? Are they lined. I am not looking for anything to warm as I'd be doing plenty of walking.

They are very light, not lined. They're designed as on Over Pants. I'd just wear a pair of Combat's, Tracksuit Bottoms, or Long Johns with either if I was going Lamping on a frosty night staying idle.

The handy thing about them being Over Pants is when they're filthy getting back to the Car, off with them and your clean and dry good to go.

If you are getting them I'd advise getting a pair of Braces, there is no Belt loops, but an elasticated draw string that I used tie to keep them up. Braces were on my list, just never got around to getting them.

The name of that shop in Ballyconnel is Trader Johns

Advertisement