Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Old Houses Black Holes?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I was looking at three houses recently and they all were built in the 1840's-1860's. In the past I've heard horror stories of people buying older houses and then facing terrible problems such as the roof leaking, bad insulation, electrical problems, conservation orders meaning they cant knock anything at all and problems with the foundation of the building.
    If you came upon even a few of these problems it could cost you thousands, turning it into a never ending money pit, or even make you abandon the idea of fixing it up altogether so I was wondering is it worth all the hassle to buy an older building or should I go ahead and pick my favourite of the three? One of the three, pictured, is in good enough condition but the other two are not very well kept. The houses are pretty expensive aswell, between €525,000 and €730,000, so I was also wondering is now a good time to buy a house in a rural enough coastal area or will the prices drop further?

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed8951229fa38212d9204555239768171a60d3cd.jpg
    (This is an example of one of them to show you what condition they're in)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Your survey will give an estimate of costs to fix each element of whatever needs doing.

Advertisement