If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on av receiver and 5.1 speakers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi J4vier.

I'll start with the Yamaha offer at the bottom of your post. While this is a great offer, the issue that I have is that the decoder that is on board this receiver does not decode HD audio and therefore will not reproduce the correct sound from a blu ray or HD audio source. It's purely a Dolby Digital receiver and while it's good value, I personally wouldn't recommend it over the likes of the Pioneer or Onkyo systems.

The Pioneer VSX521 and the Pioneer SHS100 pack which would come in at £269.95 and is a much wiser way to go in terms of future proofing as the Yamaha has already been a little left behind.

The Pioneer receivers are excellent and represent brilliant value for money, especially at the boards prices.

The Boston speakers are excellent and considerably better than the Pioneer speakers, but you wouldn't be able to get these and a receiver within your budget.

Eg : Boston pack with the Pioneer VSX421 would be £369.95 + £12.99 for delivery.

The other speaker package that you could look at is the Tannoy SFX package. I can do the Pioneer VSX421 with the Tannoy SFX including delivery for £335.

I hope this helps but let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

hi guys i received the 521 and the boston 5.1 last week, this is my first system so i havent a clue of what im doing!

some perhaps stupid questions on how to set it up..:o

i had some basic speaker cable lying around and a subwoofer cable that i used to connect the speakers to the av system, do i need to solder the copper wires or should it still work unsoldered?

i didnt have much time to play around with it, but i tried to connect the satellite decoder and i could get picture with no sound

also what type of cable/connectors would you recommend for this system?

guys forgot also i want to get the 5 years warranty for both av and speakers

could we organise this? thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

j4vier wrote: »
    hi guys i received the 521 and the boston 5.1 last week, this is my first system so i havent a clue of what im doing!

J,

thanks for the biz and the post - much appreciated - it's a cracking system!
    some perhaps stupid questions on how to set it up..:o

Thats what we are here for!
    i had some basic speaker cable lying around and a subwoofer cable that i used to connect the speakers to the av system, do i need to solder the copper wires or should it still work unsoldered?

The system will benefit from some decent cable (but I'm not a big fan of going over OTT on speaker cables) I would recommend something like the Symphony 200 for that system which is £1.49 a meter but as a Boardie we will do you a 25% discount on the cables and interconnects so it would work out at just £1.10/Mtr.. as to what plugs to use - if it was me - I would just buy an extra mtr of cable and as you say I'd solder the ends to prevent excessive oxidisation and work with that rather than put extra joints into the chain..

i didnt have much time to play around with it, but i tried to connect the satellite decoder and i could get picture with no sound

On this one I'd guess that the input assignment is the area to look at - if you have a look at the menual you will see how to change the respective audio inputs on the 521 depending on what output the individual sources has - any problems - give us a shout..

guys forgot also i want to get the 5 years warranty for both av and speakers

could we organise this? thanks

Thanks for taking this out - I've asked the guys to give you a shout- as you (above all people) are aware - it good value when the s hits the f....

Keep me posted if you have any issues,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

hey guys

just dropping a line to say that i have the sat decoder finally hooked up now and it sounds great.

i have a problem connecting the tv however to the pioneer, could you check your pm dave?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

PM replied to from Dave's account. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.