Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[RDPcheck] Possible scam/virus

• 19-03-2012 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

I got this email Today and thought it looked suspicious so thought I would post a screenshot of it here, it seems strange to me so might be something to keep an eye out for, just in case.

It says there is a vulnerability in Windows Remote Desktop Protocol, MS12-020, and if you run RDPcheck it will check if you have been exposed. It comes from [email]casey.ellis[at]tallpoppygroup.com[/email] and tries to get you to visit RDPcheck.com

It then asks for your email and says it will test your ip address. Says it will email you a report. It then goes on to tell you to share it with others. These are typical tactics of a scam to get money out of people after infecting them but to a casual user it might look genuine.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

This is what Microsoft is saying about said vulnerability http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caseyjohnellis

this is casey.ellis[at]tallpoppygroup.com a.k.a. caseyjohnellis (feel free to google me for background if you like - my twitter in particular will establish my story a little better :)

i saw this post and thought i'd weigh in - http://rdpcheck.com is not a scam, the tool provides a simple test for exposure to attacks on rdp from the internet. there is no download, no passwords, nothing remotely malicious. the other thing it does is provides a bunch of info on what everyone should be doing to protect themselves against the ms12-020 bug (which is why we built it).

if you visit the site and scroll down a bit you'll see that we've been covered a fair bit in the security and it press in australia, and there's even a podcast where you can hear the voice of yours truly (in case you're wondering if i'm real or not).

i hope this establishes the credibility of the service a little better.
    Freeman wrote: »
    I got this email Today and thought it looked suspicious so thought I would post a screenshot of it here, it seems strange to me so might be something to keep an eye out for, just in case.

It says there is a vulnerability in Windows Remote Desktop Protocol, MS12-020, and if you run RDPcheck it will check if you have been exposed. It comes from casey.ellis[at]tallpoppygroup.com and tries to get you to visit RDPcheck.com

It then asks for your email and says it will test your ip address. Says it will email you a report. It then goes on to tell you to share it with others. These are typical tactics of a scam to get money out of people after infecting them but to a casual user it might look genuine.

Advertisement