Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there anyway to put a tag on a double figure pike?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

so lots of my friends and me included these days are catching th pike, lol, after a few decades of education we finally got educated and we release all pike, (were from cavan, home of the lakes.. reared on pike and rabbits) so now its getting competitive and were into catching the double figure hens and getting a serious buzz of releasing them and hoping not to catch them again..... does anybody know of any tagging tool or anything that doesnt hurt them.. im thinking maybe the tail fin, if we could just get a tool that puts a number or something ona wee tool or something?? whats the fisheries view on this? lol... i suppose there not interested until your parked somewhere ye shouldnt be lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had a Google. Maybe ask these lads: http://www.fishyourdream.com/en/gotland/pike.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

I remember reading about this topic on another forum and the person who brought it up had caught pike out your way with cable ties attached now it seemed from his post that this was not good for pike nor did any of the pike anglers take a liking to the idea! A good angler should be able to recognise a big hen if caught again by the unique markings on her, every pike has some sort of distinct marking. This is the message I got from the topic but id love to see what some officials would think? Personally mate id try go with looking for noticable markings and take it down in your notes for that day to refer to in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Forget about tagging the fish. They are wild animals and we can put enough stress on them by catching them. I know you mean well, but I think anglers tagging their catches is a step too far.

Get yourself a simple camera setup so that you can take pictures of each fish from the same angle / distance every time. Include a rule in the image for scale. I saw a picture online of a chap who had hot-glued a waterproof flexible tape measure onto his unhooking mat.

Using this method, you can easily identify unique markings on a fish even as they grow.

It shouldn't be too hard to get the rest of your group to do the same.

Tight lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

you cannot tag pike. Pike should be returned to the water the way they left it, with no hooks or any other items attached to them. Tags/Cable ties would get caught in weeds very easily, which would result in the death of the fish

If you really want to identify fish, take detailed pics. All pike have slightly different markings which makes them very easy to identify. Also measure the length of the fish from nose tip to the tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

flanum wrote: »
    so lots of my friends and me included these days are catching th pike, lol, after a few decades of education we finally got educated and we release all pike, (were from cavan, home of the lakes.. reared on pike and rabbits) so now its getting competitive and were into catching the double figure hens and getting a serious buzz of releasing them and hoping not to catch them again..... does anybody know of any tagging tool or anything that doesnt hurt them.. im thinking maybe the tail fin, if we could just get a tool that puts a number or something ona wee tool or something?? whats the fisheries view on this? lol... i suppose there not interested until your parked somewhere ye shouldnt be lol!

Tagging is best left ot the experts. In fact south Cavan has had a couple of tagging surveys on lakes there in recent years. Maybe the next time you see a Fishery Officer you can ask him to fill you in. That is of course if you can tell the difference between one and a traffic warden:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

A good pic of both flanks should do the job. Have identified repeats myself this way easily enough and it works for trout too. We got one hen that went 10-12-15 over 4 years, it was good to see her grow.

Advertisement