Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for opinions...

Options
  • 19-03-2012 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to see what others thought...I gave 2 months notice to the landlord that I was moving out...wasn't too happy I was going (cause it was going to be empty) but the lease was up and everything so it was grand. To make everything easier for me finance-wise the landlord agreed to let me live in the apartment rent-free for the final month instead of returning the deposit.

Now he had been trying to pressure me to move out a few days before my lease was up so he could fix up the place to rent it again...wouldn't have had a problem with that except the new place I was moving into wouldn't be ready on time so I couldn't do that.

Anyway as a compromise I said he could show it to people from now and I'd have it clean. So Thursday a week ago he text saying he wanted to show it over the weekend, I said fine wasn't going to be there anyway. Got home from work Friday, gave the place a clean...nothing O.T.T just a clean but it was tidy. Anyway got a phonecall last Monday with the landlord telling how disappointed they were with the state of the place...that the floors hadn't been washed, windows hadn't been washed etc.

I said look I cleaned the place...but you know I still live here so it's impossible to have it looking empty. Now guys I didn't wash the floors, windows, with a days notice I just didn't have time. Anyway landlord says he's worried now about how I'm going to leave the place, says I should leave it as I found it and wants me to pay half the months rent and I'll get it back when I leave to make sure it's not left in a bad way.

I'm moving out in a couple of weeks, don't want to pay it...was always going to leave the place clean and I will. Just this urgency to get me out the door so they can show it has annoyed me and that phonecall. Should I give him the money or just leave it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I wouldnt give him a penny from the way he is going on you might as well kiss goodbye to it if you do give it to him as I am sure he will find something that constitutes him keeping it......just ignore him and the question of the money do however before you leave clean the windows and hoover and mop the floors, I also usually give the walls a wipe with a damp cloth also and the light switches.

Also open the windows and if you can spray all the furniture with febreze or something similar just so when he walks in he is hit with a fresh clean smell. Oh and clean the tills in the bathroom also.

Oh are you due your deposit back also cause if you are then he is just being a cheeky feckers looking for two extra weeks rent......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

edellc wrote: »
    Oh are you due your deposit back also cause if you are then he is just being a cheeky feckers looking for two extra weeks rent......
    See here:
    Barlett wrote: »
    To make everything easier for me finance-wise the landlord agreed to let me live in the apartment rent-free for the final month instead of returning the deposit.
    So no, it doesn't seem he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

First off I think you are absolutely crazy to allow your landlord to bring strangers into your home without you being there.

If you are moving out in two weeks then I wouldnt bother giving him any money to be honest. You are still under a lease (part 4 tenancy), and the landlord has no right to demand that you leave early. Im not sure what you have in writing to prove the agreement you have regarding the deposit/last months rent, and without proof the landlord could get sticky and take a case against you to say you didnt pay your last months rent, but considering the amount of money involved and the cost/effort involved to persue it I doubt they will bother.

Whatever happens going forword make sure you do everything in writing. Even if the landlord wants to ask you for more money insist that he makes the request in writing, then make your reply in writing also. If nothing else the time involved will eat up most of the two remaining weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Your landlord was naive in allowing you to set the deposit off against the last month's rent. I would let him know now that you won't be giving him the 2 weeks, that you will leave the place clean and tidy when you leave. If you want to continue letting him show the place while you're living there, get him to give you more notice for a proper tidy (and hide away any valuables).

Advertisement