Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never owned apple before...

• 19-03-2012 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Im hooking up a home entertainment system & I want to be able to play HD movies from a computer. Im thinking about Apple TV, but Id prefer full internet access, so maybe a mac mini, as it now has hdmi output? Is there open source media playing software on mac like divx? Ive never owned an apple computer before, but Im so sick of Windows. Problem is I dont know what frontrow is or Lion or any of the Apple jargon! Basically, can I save movies on Mac mini & play them through HDMI to my telly and also use the telly as a big monitor?

One other question, for the same money I can get a Windows PC that has a higher memory, processor, & hard drive, but would it be a better machine?

Any help or advice on the jargon would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Yes, you can save movies on a mac mini and play it on the tv. You can do the same with any laptop with hdmi.

I think you need to clarify what exactly you mean by full internet access. What do you want to do?

One of the best options in terms of functionality and value would be an Apple tv + xbmc (open source media center, absolutely amazing) BUT Apple tv has not yet been jailbroken afaik so you will not be able to installed it...yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I swear by my boxee box. REALLY beautiful interface, and super easy to use. My mother hid it in the boot of her car so I couldn't take it when I was moving out of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

gzoladz wrote: »
    Yes, you can save movies on a mac mini and play it on the tv. You can do the same with any laptop with hdmi.

I think you need to clarify what exactly you mean by full internet access. What do you want to do?

One of the best options in terms of functionality and value would be an Apple tv + xbmc (open source media center, absolutely amazing) BUT Apple tv has not yet been jailbroken afaik so you will not be able to installed it...yet.

Internet like I I have on iPhone safari browser. I suppose mac mini is prob my best bet, I can use it as a computer & still access iTunes.

What exactly does apple tv do? Access my media folders & Netflix sort of sites?

And is mac as easy to use as my iPhone? Log in, download apps etc? And when i connect my external hard drive usb, I'd usually go into my computer to view it's contents, but haven't a clue about macs. I'm sure I'll love it when I have it sorted, I'm just nervous leaving windows that I know so well!

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

The App Store works the same on the Mac as it does on the iPhone, you click what you want and it downloads. When you plug an external drive into a Mac it pops up on the desktop and you just double click it to open.

Apple have lots of helpful videos for people that are new to Macs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

bertie4evr wrote: »
    The App Store works the same on the Mac as it does on the iPhone, you click what you want and it downloads. When you plug an external drive into a Mac it pops up on the desktop and you just double click it to open.

Apple have lots of helpful videos for people that are new to Macs here.

Just that easy huh? Yeah I think I'll be happy with mac alright.
    Thanks for the advise, I'll take a look at the link and study up! Thanks again guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Mac Mini is nice but bit pricey for a media center. Windows has better media center options.

Some alternatives for you:

Asrock CoreHT or Vision 3D
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,barebone-pcs/11253-50568

An AMD based Zotac Z-Box (the newest model is below)
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zotac-z-box-amd-m1-fusion-e450-ddr3-wifi-media-pc-80DN.html?refs=50634&src=3

Or a TranquilPC
    http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/

Advertisement