Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat on Cage Rest

• 19-03-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone would have tips for keeping a cat in a cage? He's sprained his shoulder and we have to prevent him jumping. With the painkiller it's not hurting him, but he hates being in the cage and keeps overturning the litter tray, which he won't use and is constantly meowing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Nightmare! Is there any room you could adapt for him - a small room you could take all the furniture out of, or even a bathroom. When one of my cats had a longterm leg injury I moved stuff out of my sitting room, and gave her a chair near the window, with a ramp up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Not really, he's in the kitchen dining room, his favourite room. He'll climb or jump onto window sills, sinks, counter tops, everything. I think he'll relax a bit once he uses the tray but he's so used to going outside that's what he's freaking out about at the moment. :-( poor sad kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

My cat gets very distressed in cages/carry boxes and actually does quite a bit of damage to his claws trying to open them, so when he hurt his paw badly last year, a cage was not an option.

Instead, I put his favorite sleeping areas on the ground (one of the couch cushions, my dressing gown etc) and watched him like a hawk when he was awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Could you fill the tray with soil instead of litter? I used to tie my rabbits litter tray to the side of the crate with wire to stop them up ending it.

His favourite sleeping area is a chair and when we are here we'll let him on that, or our laps. It's the toilet that's the problem. We'll try some soil, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Then plus one for the soil, at least until he gets used to using the box - try grabbing some from an area he like to use normally when allowed outside.

Putting the litter box out of the way, in a private location helps too. Best of luck!

He'll use the litter tray when we are away if he has to, and it's usually down in the hall so the issue is no climbing or jumping or running up and down stairs so he has to live in the cage and one room under supervision for the week. We might get one of those covered litter boxes to give him more privacy in the cage! We live in a city centre house so I think his usual toilet is over a back wall we don't have access to, but I'll try to get some soil anyway.

He'll be alone for maybe 4 hours tomorrow when we are working so want to make him as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I think once he uses the litter tray he'll settle down a lot. I remember what our chap was like when we had to keep him indoors for a couple of weeks after surgery. He has a cat flap and goes out when he likes, so the idea of using a litter tray was unnatural to him. He held on for 48 hours before he'd use it. Strangely the only time he uses his litter tray, 2 years on, is when he comes back from a trip to the vet. Good luck with it, I know how frustrating it can be trying to restrict a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sburke

We had to keep one of ours in a large cage after major surgery to stop her tearing her stitches....she was attacked by a feral cat and her chest was ripped open!! We kept her in it for a few days but eventually let her out into the spare room with ramps up to the bed and window. She was much happier after that (albeit she was kept in for 2 months) and almost 3 years later is going strong!! Thank goodness for our vets :-)

Advertisement