Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Washing Machine - Recommendations Please

• 19-03-2012 2:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of the bigger capacity washing machines? eg 9-11 kg? Also some of the newer brands like Panasonic or Samsung? I know Panasonic make great TV's just not sure they have that much experience in Washing machines! Also the Hotpoint Aqaltis? Reliable or not? The Zanussi do they need to be attached to mains water? I have hot and cold supply behind washing machine but I think they come from the attic tank? Or should I just go for a Bosch? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The new machines are just a cold feed. Zanussi aren't as good as they once were. I haven't used a Panasonic machine but I believe there is a 5 yr p&l guarantee with them.

The Hotpoint machines are good, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Siemens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I have a hotpoint for 6 years, never let me down.

The only downside I noticed recently is the filter. I have dogs and wash their blankets and the filter got blocked and to clean it I had to tilt the machine because it was underneath.

Next one the filter will be more easily cleaned from the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah have had a hotpoint for a couple of years, only thing I found with it is that this gunge started to build in the rubber seal between the door and the drum, only noticed once the bad smell started coming from the machine. Also on very hot washes I notice the door seal started to leak. will have a look around DID/Powercity etc over the weekend see whats out there.

Jeez it's hard to find the perfect washing maching for a decent price :( was looking at a 10kg Panasonic (wife wants to wash double duvet) looked good inverter motor etc but from googling panasonic problems it seems not long on market and might be an issue getting spares for it even if it's under 5 year guarentee, signed up for which online and LG's get good write up then you read user reviews and seems to be lots of issues with them unless you lash out for the expensive Meile brand none of the others seem that reliable! Maybe Bosch? Anyone any opinions of Bosch or Panasonic?

We have a Bosch one at the minute. Very good machines, they're consistently near the top of the market for performance, and have come down in price compared to a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

We have 3 bosch appliances. 12 year old dishwasher, always been fault free. Washing machine again great but only 2 years old.
    Frost free fridge freezer again 2 years old but can be a bit noisy on defrost.

Would I buy bosch again. Definately:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

+1 for Bosch. Have one 4 years now, at least 2 washes a week, sometimes well overloaded (rammed to capacity) and not a thing wrong with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

miele is the only make for me. Costs more but worth it.

Hard to justify lashing out that kind of money for Meile, I know they last but just can't afford that kind of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Our Hotpoint Aqualtis has a logic board problem.
    Expensive repair, I'd avoid that brand!

Bosch and Siemens have a joint venture company BSH which makes all appliances under Bosch, Siemens and NEFF brands. It's often possible to get the exact same washing machine with a slightly different control panel at a significantly cheaper price from Bosch. Siemens tends to be higher end, but the exact same machine.

We replaced the Aqualtis with a Bosch Logixx 8. Fantastic machine. My folks have the slightly older version, going strong for about 5 years and getting heaps of use (used daily)

They are FAR better quality than the Hotpoint and washes better too!

It's very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Miele is ridiculously expensive, but they are exceptionally well built machines. Bosch is a good compromise of good consumer grade quality without the insane price tag!

Miele builds their stuff like a commercial laundry appliance. They will last decades, but the initial outlay is very high and, I think, not really justifiable for most people.

• Advertisement

Thanks Solair, is that an 8kg drum you bought in the Bosch? Any idea if it would take a duvet? (wife want's to be able to wash duvet's in the washing machine and that's why she was looking at the 10kg panasonic)

Thanks

The Bosch (and the Aqualits) and any of these new-generation large drum machines are capable of washing pretty big loads, but I think you'd be struggling to get them to wash a seriously big duvet.

They'll take a single duvet, or a thin double duvet or a couple of pillows at a time, but you won't get a king-size duvet or a very heavy double duvet into them and if you do, you'd probably just damage the machine.

Remember too that the quoted capacity of the machine is usually in kgs of dry clothes (typically low volume heavy clothes like towels) rather than the actual drum capacity in litres of space.

They're WAY bigger than a standard machine, which is handy, but they're not laundrette machines.

yeah was thinking of a thin enough double duvet, but I don't think even the big 10kg panasonic can really wash them correctly.

The Bosch comfortably handles king-size quilted mattress protectors, single duvets (13 tog), thin doubles/kings.

It's great to be able to wash a couple of pillows too.

Just one word of caution. They all tend to have difficulty balancing half-loads with duvets and pillows. We found that with both machines you have to pack the drum fairly tightly or it will just refuse to spin.

You have to remember that machines in laundries are actually bolted to the floor. They've huge motors and are built to withstand an out-of-balance load. Where as domestic machines' drums are mounted on a suspension system with dampers to absorb the vibration and rely on software to ensure the load is balanced before they initiate a spin.

That's where they tend to let you down with duvets. Sometimes the load just goes lopsided and because it a single big object, rather than lots of towels and normal clothes, the machine can't balance so eventually skips the spin.

Some of the fill materials used in duvets, especially cotton, were way way too water-absorbent and the machine couldn't handle it at all. The load was just far too heavy.

With both types of machine we ended up with sopping wet duvets and it was very difficult to convince the machine to spin them. We had to physically redistribute the load by hand (try to push the duvet into a shape where it was balanced) and add towels to balance it out!

You're better off just getting those kinds of huge items done commercially as it's a pain in the rear to do them at home!

It is very handy however to be able to do pillows, smaller items of duvets, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I have a Fisher and Paykell Aquasmart Toploader and I couldn't be happier. I've been using it for 3 years, and I have three small children who are fond of playing in muck, and we use cloth nappies. It also washes duvets and pillows. It has programmes for different types of stain and also a hygiene wash for disinfecting. It is 3.1 cubic feet, don't know what that is in kg but it is big enough for a weeks worth of nappies, or a duvet and pillows.

The drums are pretty huge on those machines, and they've good capacity, but the only thing I would say is that a lot of it is taken up by agitators and they can't be packed full like a normal European machine as the clothes have to be moved by some kind of agitator in the drum, so the capacities aren't quite directly comparable.

My only concern about those machines is that the soon to be introduced water meters are going to make any water-hungry appliances fairly expensive to use. Some top loaders, particularly US ones, tend to use vast amounts of water.

Solair wrote: »
    The drums are pretty huge on those machines, and they've good capacity, but the only thing I would say is that a lot of it is taken up by agitators and they can't be packed full like a normal European machine as the clothes have to be moved by some kind of agitator in the drum, so the capacities aren't quite directly comparable.

My only concern about those machines is that the soon to be introduced water meters are going to make any water-hungry appliances fairly expensive to use. Some top loaders, particularly US ones, tend to use vast amounts of water.

Mine has no agitator...there was some new fangledy reason that it still works so well given by the salesperson that I can't remember now... Its also got a good water efficiency rating. The only problem you might have is that it doesn't heat its own water like a front loader but uses hot water from your tank but we chose this because we heat our water with a wood burning stove so its basically 'free' in the winter months

Was just going to ask if the toploaders are still a hot feed, realistically nowadays people don't want to be using their hot water for their washing machine.

Rosy, do you mind me asking how much that machine was? Hotpoint have a top loader, only a 5 kilo and is 500 euro. I hadn't even realised there were any other on the market, it would be very,very rare you sell one.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Was just going to ask if the toploaders are still a hot feed, realistically nowadays people don't want to be using their hot water for their washing machine.

Rosy, do you mind me asking how much that machine was? Hotpoint have a top loader, only a 5 kilo and is 500 euro. I hadn't even realised there were any other on the market, it would be very,very rare you sell one.

It was a wedding present from my parents so not sure how much it was but I'd say it wasn't cheap. It was the biggest (8kg) most energy/water/detergent efficient they could find- my dad chose it and he is pretty meticulous. We are not in Ireland btw so not sure if they are available there.

Ah right. I don't think Fisher and Paykel bring them in to Ireland.

• Advertisement

European manufacturers have long, long abandoned top loaders.

There are some made, particularly for the French market, but they are still horizontal drum machines. You just load the laundry through a set of doors in the side of the drum. So, they actually wash exactly the same as a front loader. The advantage was that they took up less floor space in tiny studio apartments, yet still wash 5kg.

I know you can buy some traditional US top loaders in Ireland. However, they perform abysmally on energy ratings (score F or G!.) and they tend to have spin speeds of about 600 to 800 rpm.

They remain popular in the states coz they're cheaper than FL machines. However, to get clothes dry you'd need dirt cheap electricity and tumble dry everything.

Fisher And Paykel probably do a higher tech top loader but, there's just zero market for such machines in the EU.

you're far better buying a large capacity front loader from a mainstream EU brand. Obscure imports are hard to service etc etc

For example: Here's a US-type Whirlpool top-loader on sale in the UK (obviously a 230V 50Hz Europeanised version, but basically the same machine mechanically)

http://www.a1domestics.com/whirlpool-american-heavy-duty-top-loader-washing-machine-3rlsq8600ww.html

Brand: Whirlpool

Model: 3RLSQ8600WW

Spin Speed (rpm): 640
    Energy Efficiency: G
    Wash Efficiency: G
    Drying Efficiency: D

Heavy Duty Top Loader Washing Machine
    Max Usable Loadsize Kg(max Dry Weight Cotton) 8.1kg
    8 Programmes
    Fully Electronic

The actual capacities, are significantly lower than they look. The top loader drums are huge because they cannot be packed tightly as they simply do not wash if the clothes are not free to float around. So, you end up with this huge machine which will still only wash about 8kg absolute max.

A drum-based machine will allow you to pack it quite tightly, and still wash effectively by sloshing the water through the clothes as it turns. They don't actually need to tumble loosely.

The downside, is that European high capacity machines tend to take a lot longer to go through a wash cycle as that process is much more time-consuming. But, they also tend to produce excellent results, use way less water and energy etc.

That's the main reason the top-loader design is disappearing, even in the USA they're no longer popular.

You still get some people who absolutely swear by them though. Then again, my granny swore by a twin tub with a mangle ...

I think though stick with the European brands if you're in Europe. It's far less hassle in the long term!

Whirlpool had a top loader in their Irish product line two years ago but the last two years they've abandoned it. Not surprised really.

OP did you go for a machine yet?

In France, they're quite fond of the "Chargement Top" top loader machines. But they're totally different to US-type designs.

Basically you've a front loader drum, but it's mounted the other way around so it's rotating front to rear rather than side to side.

Then, you've two interlocking doors in the side of the drum, you open these and insert your clothes through there!

They even do top loading tumble dryers!

To give you an idea :

http://shopping.cherchons.com/r/seche-linge-brandt-top-condensation.html

I've never understood the attraction to this design as the hatches in the drum are really awkward to use. We had on in France for a while and I really just found it annoying.

However, because of 'tradition' and tiny studio apartments they are still popular as they can be slotted into a bathroom without fuss.

(It's common in France to have the washing machine in the bathroom, it's just on a RCD-protected circuit. I suppose in reality, a lot less scary than having a huge electric shower heater actually in the shower cubical as is the case here )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I worked in the Whirlpool warehouse years ago, the lads use be bent over laughing at the sh1te they sold..

Get a bosch, they are built to last and every nut and bolt is available online from their parts department.

Would u believe I've been looking at beko after reading on the "which" site that they get a high reliability rating as a brand even higher then Bosch anyone any experience with their washing machines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I have an LG 7kg and it has been very reliable and takes a decent size load. It has a 32 minute wash which has turned into the most used cycle in the house.

Would u believe I've been looking at beko after reading on the "which" site that they get a high reliability rating as a brand even higher then Bosch anyone any experience with their washing machines?

Their new line of machines are quite excellent. Low cost, excellent energy ratings. They'd have the biggest market share in washing machines I'd think nowadays.

I could definitely recommend something like http://powercity.ie/?par=40-01-91442LW&pages=1&prod=91442LW&brands=BEKO&image=

Also,I was wrong. Whirlpool have reintroduced a top loader

Thanks Urbansea, have you got one yourself? was looking at this model in store http://powercity.ie/?par=40-01-1242LC&brands=&accessories=1

you can buy an extended warrenty for 2 years after initial guarentee for around 80 euros which might be worth it!

Don't have one ourselves but that'll probably the model we go for when our Bosch one says farewell. I sold plenty of the newer Beko models (since the 227's came out about 2 years ago) and they've been great.

I don't believe in buying extended warranties to tell you the truth

• Advertisement

ah so you sell them, so have you had many issues with them i.e. what tends to go with them? I know no washing machine is perfect (bar the Meile), also who are the service agent in ireland?

The best way to find out which models not to buy would be to visit your local recycling centre. Ask which brands end up there most often, and find out roughly how many are sold and do the math!

I honestly think that the state or the EU should track machines using the serial number so that they can figure out which companies are causing huge environmental impact by producing machines that only last a a couple of years. Then, simply levy those companies accordingly.

ah so you sell them, so have you had many issues with them i.e. what tends to go with them? I know no washing machine is perfect (bar the Meile), also who are the service agent in ireland?

To be honest not a whole lot go wrong with them. For the amount of them that you sell they have a very low failure rate, the Whirlpool machines of late have gone to muck, the same can be said about Zanussi.

I'd have no qualms buying one myself, my second choice would be one of the LG washing machines.
    The service for Beko in Ireland is done Domestic Appliances, the service is very good. Whirlpool's is awful, Hotpoint isn't bad but has a ridiculous call out fee (114e) and takes a few days

Well went with the Beko 1242 model I posted earlier all well so far! think I'll take the additional 2 year warrenty as 80 euros to make it a 3 year warrenty isn't bad. Powercity give you 28 days from date of purchase to buy the extended warrenty, i'll risk it as it's cheaper then a callout charge in 18 months time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

Hi
    I'm looking to buy new washing machine, hoping to get 9kg , A rated energy,
    Has anyone good or bad feedback, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

This has just been done to death, check out..........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581114

hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Threads merged

@therisingstar pretty happy with the Beko 9kg I got the model is 1242 ok only had it a few days, don't expect it to wash double duvet's probably ok for single, loads of different programs from handwash to a quick 15 minute wash for 2kg weight of clothes or 39 minutes for 9kg of clothes. Happy enough with it going to take an extra 2year extended warrenty on it as well from powercity here is the model http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-01-1242LC&pages=1&prod=1242LC&brands=BEKO&image=

Advertisement