Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest way to get to Cork from Limerick

Options
  • 19-03-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all;
    I am currently work & reside in Co.Limerick and received good job offer from Cork, I am studying part time in UL and cannot really leave the college. I was thinking commuting daily from Limerick to Cork for the work (not still sure if it is a good idea) I was looking options for commuting and there is one major route from Limerick to Cork is N20 via small villages and then there is another option from Limerick to Cahir and then take M8 motorway from there onwards…thinking to get a diesel car also for this if it is finalized. What you guys think about it? Which way would be faster? Also how much diesel would be used say 1.7 daily if any of ye travelling this route?
    Thank you guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which part of Co Limerick do you live in, big difference between Abbeyfeale and Oola when looking at the road to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Forerunner

mike65 wrote: »
    Which part of Co Limerick do you live in, big difference between Abbeyfeale and Oola when looking at the road to Cork.

oh sorry, Castletroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

M7 -> M20 -> N20.

Amtmann wrote: »
    M7 -> M20 -> N20.

it seems google maps, bing maps and yahoo maps also giving this direction, with no traffic i assume 1.30 hrs:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Whereabouts in Cork are you going to.

• Advertisement

johnayo wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Cork are you going to.

City Gate Mahon, Cork or Cork Business & Technology Park, Model Farm Road, Cork (2 jobs locations not sure which one ill go for yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Tá fios agam nach bhfuil sé seo an áit ceart, ach chuir an teideal i gcuimhne dom é:
    D'iarann fear ar duine eile - "Cad é an bealach is tapúla chun an bhaile shroiceant?"
    D'iarrann an duine eile air - "An bhfuil tú ag tiomáint nó ag siúl?"
    "Ag tiomáint."
    "Oh, go maith - sin an bhealach is tapúla."

I know this isn't the right place, but the title reminded me of it:
    A man asks someone - "What is the quickest way to get to town?"
    The other person asks - "Are you driving or walking?"
    "Driving."
    "Good - that's definitely the quickest."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Forerunner wrote: »
    City Gate Mahon, Cork or Cork Business & Technology Park, Model Farm Road, Cork (2 jobs locations not sure which one ill go for yet)

Both of these are in the general City area. The N20 is the more direct route and the one I normally use. Although it can be pretty frustrating trying to overtake on most parts.
    If you are not travelling at peak times, then 1hr.30. will get you there. Could be another 20mins at peak.

johnayo wrote: »
    Both of these are in the general City area. The N20 is the more direct route and the one I normally use. Although it can be pretty frustrating trying to overtake on most parts.
    If you are not travelling at peak times, then 1hr.30. will get you there. Could be another 20mins at peak.

thank you for the feedback John, i appreciate it, now i need to decide if it worths the hassle :)

Ficheall wrote: »
    Tá fios agam nach bhfuil sé seo an áit ceart, ach chuir an teideal i gcuimhne dom é:
    D'iarann fear ar duine eile - "Cad é an bealach is tapúla chun an bhaile shroiceant?"
    D'iarrann an duine eile air - "An bhfuil tú ag tiomáint nó ag siúl?"
    "Ag tiomáint."
    "Oh, go maith - sin an bhealach is tapúla."

I know this isn't the right place, but the title reminded me of it:
    A man asks someone - "What is the quickest way to get to town?"
    The other person asks - "Are you driving or walking?"
    "Driving."
    "Good - that's definitely the quickest."

good one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'd avoid going via Cahir, it's just a bad road if not worse than the N20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I had some personal experience with the N20 a couple of months ago. Nasty road >_< would not recommend using it daily. It's going to take you at least an hour and a half each way.

SeanW wrote: »
    I had some personal experience with the N20 a couple of months ago. Nasty road >_< would not recommend using it daily. It's going to take you at least an hour and a half each way.

any other suggestions?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

I'd go via hospital/mitchelstown and take the motorway after that. Mahon is only 5 mins from the tunnel. At least there's places to overtake on that road if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Hospital/Mitchelstown/M8 (forget Cahir) is certainly an option from Castletroy and Mahon can be accessed via the Tunnel easier than going through the City from the N20.
    Model Farm Rd might be easier to access via the N20 and cutting through Blarney to Victoria Cross but also would be an easy access via the Tunnel and the SRR only that there are long term roadworks at Wilton and the Bandon Rd which wont help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I used to work in the Technology Park on Model Farm Road and I'd a colleague who lived in Ballina, Co Tipperary. A bit further out than you. He lived in Cork a few days out of the week as the commute was a bit of a nightmare, 105-120 minutes. He did one up/down, one day working from home and 3 days at the office.

I wouldn't recommend it, but corktina's route through Blarney would be the way to go from Castletroy to Model Farm Road.

If this is a good job offer, then you're likely to stay a while. If it were me, I'd move to Cork and do the drive back to Limerick for the days I needed to be in college. You're studying part time, so what's that 2 nights a week? 1 night and 1 saturday? Can you stay with your folks the nights you have college and drive to Cork the following morning?

Congrats on the new job! It's not easy getting a start at the moment.

Advertisement