Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arrest warrant

Options
  • 19-03-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am new to boards and am looking for some advice.I got a phone call from a guard last night saying a warrant had been issued for my arrest for not showing up in court on a summons of being in a pub after hours.At first i presumed this was a joke but i met the guard and he showed me the warrant.I received a summons last May for the offence which happened in August 2010 and was due in court in December.I put it away and just forgot about it.Next i heard was last night and the guard told me to meet him at the court at 10 tomorrow morning.Am i the only one that finds it ridiculous and was wondering if this has happened to anyone before or if theres any legal mind out there with any advice.
    thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

You're quite right. It is ridiculous. You filed away the summons, and now you have a problem you believe is not of your making. It's called THE LAW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Are you asking if people find it ridiculous that you forgot a court summons?

Get yourself a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 larh

I know its the law im just saying is it not a bit overboard to be threathened with arrest over something so small.Is it not a bit trivial and wasting court time when they could just send me a fine.Im sure there are more serious things going on in the world

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Consult a solicitor, there'll be no legal advice or discussion of current court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

larh wrote: »
    I know its the law im just saying is it not a bit overboard to be threathened with arrest over something so small.Is it not a bit trivial and wasting court time when they could just send me a fine.Im sure there are more serious things going on in the world

Yes it is a total waste of court time that you didn't show up when you were supposed to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

larh wrote: »

While the offence may be small, you ignored a summons to appear before a court, how else can a court get people who ignore its instruction to be at a certain place at a certain time, ignore a summons criminal or civil at your peril.

Be there at 10am otherwise the next time you will be arrested in the evening and spend the night inside waiting for the district court to start sitting.

Just so you understand ignoring a summons is a serious issue, if we can all ignore them then the system will grind to a halt. BTW get a solicitor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is getting locked as people aren't listening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement