Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time Selling at Mart

• 19-03-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Right lads, ye have helped me out in the past on buying these 3 bullocks, feeding them, maintaining health etc. . . and im very thankful.

now its selling time. . probably balla

here's what i know.

1. I book the cattle 3-4 days prior to the Saturday auction.
    2. I bring them up on the Saturday.

ok, and thats then:D

here's what i want to know.

1. does the time you ring and book in the cattle have any bearing on the time they will be sold at on the Saturday? for instance i wouldnt want them coming out at 10am . . . 12.30 is peak time if u ask me. .

2. Are you allocated the Lot Nos when i book, or when i arrive with the cattle. . . . Im just wondering how does the system match a lot No on a bullocks back, to the card.

3. when the selling goes on, its not like (from what i remember). . lot 1,2,3,4 in order. . its usually all over the place. so how does a farmer know when to approach the box. and in the box, is there usually a few more farmers. . in case there lots are mixed with yours?:rolleyes:

4.When I back up me 3 bishops, is that it then, i open the door of the trailer, and the bullocks then are the responsibility of the mart? they stick the lot Nos on and move them to the pins?

5. I have noticed when bullocks are sold, i see the auctioneer hand the seller a small piece of paper to the seller, whats that? . . how does payment work? do i go to the office then and ask for my cheq, or do i go and sign something, and wait for my chq, is it posted out?

6. from what i remember when i bought them, Lot Nos dont go in order. .or is it that they try and keep it as close as possible?. .when I book the cattle in, i may or may not get the 3 lot Nos. . can i judge the selling time?

7. What do i do with my 3 cards?

Ill have a few more no doubt, but ill post them here as i come across them. .

appreciate your time in reading this. you knowledge is greatly needed.

Thanks Again,

NBF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

book them in a week in advance id say if u book them in 3 or 4 days it could be a long time before they come in. First off you get your lot number stickers before the cattle leave the trailer. I dont know where this place would be in balla but you'l see other people get out and go somewhere before they unload. Back up to the gate and wait until one of the yardmen give you the go ahead to let the cattle go. The cattle will go up a race with other cattle. Park your car , come back with cards and lot nos and go up along side whichever race your cattle went up where only people walk and give cards to man there with other cards. Get some of the sticky stuff and put some on your cattle and put lot nos on top.
    When all thats done go have breakfast and wait.
    There should be an electronic board somewhere above the ring that shows lot numbers so you'l know when your cattle will be in. When you see one in the weighing scales you can go to box. The auctioneer will hand you a receipt. I dont know about getting cheque in office, i just wait for them to post it out.
    But you should go a week before you sell to get to know things, balla is a very busy mart, or just get someone else to bring them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Balla Mart booking is every Wednesday from 9-30am.

Have them in before the sale starts, it looks bad if they're ran straight from chute to ring.
    To be honest, it's a bit of a myth about selling time and prices. I've seen lads rerun cattle and lose over a hundred.

It's not normally all over the place, if it's run right. So just keep a good eye on cattle price and esp look at those which resemble yours so you will know the value of your animals. And for the love of god have some muck on you!!
    The auctioneer normally will pass over (actually, the clerk) the prices & weights of your cattle.
    If you go to Balla, the cheques will be sent from head office no ID needed.
    Your three cards will be taken on the chute as their numbers are read and thats when you relax!:D
    Edit- I think the Balla auctioneer can do 60/70 cattle per hour so you can gauge by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm no expert but if they take them in order try and be there when they are numbered.
    Worst animals to best, that way you'll know if the worst has sold before selling your good animals. If your bringing home the worst fella you can be fussy about best ones then.
    If the least good one sells then all nets are the good ones will sell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

bbam wrote: »
    I'm no expert but if they take them in order try and be there when they are numbered.
    Worst animals to best, that way you'll know if the worst has sold before selling your good animals. If your bringing home the worst fella you can be fussy about best ones then.
    If the least good one sells then all nets are the good ones will sell too.

Everyone has different ideas - we used to put the best one in first! - attract all the potential buyers to the ring at the beginning. Whatever buyers missed out on the best one will at least be at ringside to see the next ones you have in and might throw a bid on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

also make sure your cards are in date and all signed etc,

good luck with sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement