Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow downloads

• 19-03-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some feedback here if anyone can shed some light...

One of our company principals shares some generic large files to us using torrents. I was in England over the weekend & downloaded one of these files on a friends broadband. It downloaded in about 20 minutes, I was shocked. My experience has been that it usually takes about a day to download these files. I ran a speed test and it showed about 6mb up and 6mb down with a ping of 71. I am now back in the Middle East and I speed tested my own broadband, which is about 6mb down, 500kb up and 17ping...

Why is mine taking so long? I'm gonna contact the provider, coz YouTube stutters quite a bit too... but is it a problem with my connection, or did I just get a particularly fast torrent while in London?

My broadband & TV is via cable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bluefoam wrote: »
    One of our company principals shares some generic large files to us using torrents.

Lol
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    It downloaded in about 20 minutes, I was shocked. My experience has been that it usually takes about a day to download these files. I ran a speed test and it showed about 6mb up and 6mb down with a ping of 71. I am now back in the Middle East and I speed tested my own broadband, which is about 6mb down, 500kb up and 17ping...

Why is mine taking so long? I'm gonna contact the provider, coz YouTube stutters quite a bit too... but is it a problem with my connection, or did I just get a particularly fast torrent while in London?

Most torrent trackers try to keep you on at least a 1:1 ratio of uploaded/downloaded. By having 6mb up in London, rather then your 500k he could achieve a much higher download rate as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Lol

Also lol ;)
    Most torrent trackers try to keep you on at least a 1:1 ratio of uploaded/downloaded. By having 6mb up in London, rather then your 500k he could achieve a much higher download rate as well.

Thanks, that makes sense

Advertisement