Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal dispute resolved, ESB connection removed

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone would be able to advise me on this. Recently my family have been involved in a legal dispute over a plot of land which has now been settled. The site has now been vacated however, the ESB have removed the electricity connection from the site on instructions from the people who have now vacated.

Given that they never owned the site, and did not install the connection, were they within their rights to do this? The ESB account was in their name.

ESB have informed me that it will cost 1807 euro to reconnect which is something we can ill afford on top of legal fees etc. And the connection is needed to power a well pump which provides water to a farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

By the way I am not looking for legal advice but rather advice as to how to broach this with the ESB. I wonder if there is anyway of argueing around that reconnection fee given the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The disconnection is carried out at the behest of the registered customer - nothing to do with ownership of the property. Depending on the time lapsed, a reconnection fee will be required and these are fixed standard fees - of which €1807 is one.

Honestly, you have no case and will have to pay the connection fee if you want supply.:(

Is that really the case?

So if for example, someone is renting a house, they can get the ESB to remove the electricity connection without the landlord's permission when they leave? Forcing landlord to pay this reconnection fee?

That seems a bit mad no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

fits wrote: »
    Is that really the case?

So if for example, someone is renting a house, they can get the ESB to remove the electricity connection without the landlord's permission when they leave? Forcing landlord to pay this reconnection fee?

That seems a bit mad no?
    They could request that it is disconnected yes, but to remove anything would require the landlord's consent

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They could request that it is disconnected yes, but to remove anything would require the landlord's consent

by that logic, would our permission not have needed to be sought also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

fits wrote: »
    A standard disconnection is usually a simple enough job, with re-connection costing just €80.
    By the sounds of things, this disconnection involved more, with the ESB being asked to remove cables etc.
    What exactly was involved in the disconnection? What was the connection supplying?

The meter was removed and also the cabling removed back to nearest pole. It was supplying a well pump and dilapidated vacant house.

Well I suppose all you can do now is maybe plead the fact that as landowner you had no knowledge of the connection removal and query why it was done without your permission. Some diplomacy might get you somewhere.

You can get a farm (only) connection, which involves you paying for 50% of the design costs of the connection. That's just from memory, but it's something like that. It might suit as an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I was thinking,alright-they have removed the service so its a new connection now

odd though

M cebee wrote: »
    I was thinking,alright-they have removed the service so its a new connection now

odd though
    The farm connection applies to new connections too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

cast_iron wrote: »
    M cebee wrote: »

odd though
    The farm connection applies to new connections too.
    ok not familiar with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cast_iron wrote: »
    Well I suppose all you can do now is maybe plead the fact that as landowner you had no knowledge of the connection removal and query why it was done without your permission. Some diplomacy might get you somewhere.

You can get a farm (only) connection, which involves you paying for 50% of the design costs of the connection. That's just from memory, but it's something like that. It might suit as an alternative.

50% contributions went out under the CER. Standard costs are now deployed.

50% contributions went out under the CER. Standard costs are now deployed.
    It's been a couple of years since I was involved in a farm connection so I'm not too up on it.

Though a "non-dwelling farm building", <3kVA still seems to be charged at 50% design costs according to this document, valid from 1/1/12.

The OP seems to want a supply just for a pump, which would qualify for <3kVA part. Whether his connection would fall into the definition of a "non-dwelling farm building", I don't know. Might be worth looking into as an option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 misso24

hi there.. myself and my partner have found this house to rent, it hasnt been lived in for about a yr n half.. the electricity has been disconnected which means we wil have to re connect it. any idea hw much it wil cost

As stated in post 7:
    A standard disconnection is usually a simple enough job, with re-connection costing just €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

going to move this to the ESB forum now, it's attracting ESB related questions. I hope the OP received some direction, but it really has nowhere to go now on this particular forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

misso24 wrote: »
    hi there.. myself and my partner have found this house to rent, it hasnt been lived in for about a yr n half.. the electricity has been disconnected which means we wil have to re connect it. any idea hw much it wil cost

Hi misso24,

The reconnection process will depend on how long the house has been disconnected.

Less than 6 months:

Contact us on 1850 372 372 to arrange a reconnection. You could also send an email or a group PM to myself and Electric Ireland: Una with your details.

How much will it cost?

€79.45 (incl. VAT).

6 months to 2 years:

Get a registered electrical contractor to check and certify the wiring, and contact us to arrange a reconnection (€79.45 incl. VAT).

Over 2 years:

After this point, you would need to submit an application form, ordnance survey map and site map to:

ESB Networks Services Bureau
    PO Box 29
    Garrycastle
    Athlone
    Co Westmeath

The cost can vary, depending on what needs to be done. See here for ESB Networks' list of charges.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

where would i get an application form, for reconnection, disconnected 3 years.

Hi riclad,

If it is a domestic premises, the NC2 application form is what you'll need. This includes connections up to 29 kVa (most domestic premises are 12kVa).

If it is a commercial premises, you would need to submit an NC3.

Further details and downloads are available here.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

its A domestic connection, reconnection,
    I presume theres no ordinance survey map,or site layout needed.its not a new connection.esb cable ,and new meter already there.single domestic,house.

• Advertisement

Hi riclad,
    riclad wrote:
    I presume theres no ordinance survey map,or site layout needed

Only ESB Networks could answer this for you - all I can do is point you in the right direction, as we are a separate company. I would recommend you get in touch with them directly on 1850 372 757, or via email, to enquire.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement