Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

draining garden

Options
  • 19-03-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

hey does anyone know much about draining a garden..ive started to try and build french for my badly water logged garden.ive dug the soakpit a hole of 1.4 metres but after a night of rain the thing is full of water and its going nowhere not sure if this will be any use for drainage.ive two mainholes in the back garden is there anyway i could use these for drainage or is there anything else i could use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi moonfish ,could you post some photos of your garden,so as we might help you :Dponddigger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi moonfish ,could you post some photos of your garden,so as we might help you :Dponddigger:D
    Hey ponddigger ill post some up later today thanks

pictures below

As you can see the garden is pretty bad that hole has been full of water for two days now doesnt look like is going anywhere its 1.4 metres deep i doubt that it will be any use as sink hole any ideas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

how deep is the soak pit, needs to be about 3ft down, these man holes are most likely sewerage drains, meaning you can't use the cause if they back up, they will back up into your garden,"u'll be in **** then!!!" if they are rain water drains then the could be worked into, the ground looks to be very compacted also,

• Advertisement

yeah the sink is over three feet deep alright hard going digging it full of rock
    if the water in the sink pit is going nowhere not sure what else i can do you are right ground is very compacted also

hi moonfish.u could use a pump connected to the storm water drain:Dponddigger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - If you can get a fall but probably unlikely, divert water to nearest gulley/AJ. Failing that and again falls permitting divert water to manhole.

Otherwise you can use excess water to irrigate a Raised section planted up with moisture loving shrubs.

Is that some exposed NYM cabling in the corner? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

OP - If you can get a fall but probably unlikely, divert water to nearest gulley/AJ. Failing that and again falls permitting divert water to manhole.

Otherwise you can use excess water to irrigate a Raised section planted up with moisture loving shrubs.

Is that some exposed NYM cabling in the corner? :eek:

That nymj is fine with regards the weather and it being outdoor (as seen outdoors,in many a garden centre/nursery)

Are you a professional and whats your qualifications ??????

You never answered me before.:rolleyes:

This is a very easy and simple fix,with regards getting the water out of the hole and into a drain.

Get a garden hose and drop 1 end into the hole with the water in it.

Bring the other end of the garden hose to the nearest drain (shorter the run,the easier it will be do drain the water).

Then suck on that end of the hose and the suction/siphon effect will cause the water to flow through the hose and keep on flowing too,until the hole is drained of all water (old wize trick).

Its a well known and proven trick in the world of fish keeping and draining down large fish tanks.Works for me when draining down a 500 litre tank to a garden drain or rainwater butt (over 30 feet away).:)

No need to be digging big long trenches or going off and buying water pumps just to get rid of the water out of the hole.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    That nymj is fine with regards the weather and it being outdoor.

Are you a professional and whats your qualifications ??????

You never answered me before.:rolleyes:

Have you finished the washing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Jaysus, the buisness man returns. :rolleyes:

Have you finished College???

Are you fully qualified??

What are your exact qualification then??

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

couple of points come to mind op:

did the hole/sump fill up from rainfall to the sump only? or from rainfall drainage to the sump from the rest of the garden?......that is -did you notice the rest of the garden having better drainage since you dug the sump hole......if so -then if you can outlet the sump to an existing stormwater manhole you will be quids in......if not then it means you will need to drastically improve your soil conditions and in doing so improve drainage....
    also -
    nym cable is not considered up to code if it is exposed to the elements as the sheathing degrades when exposed to sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

moonfish wrote: »
    hey does anyone know much about draining a garden..ive started to try and build french for my badly water logged garden.ive dug the soakpit a hole of 1.4 metres but after a night of rain the thing is full of water and its going nowhere not sure if this will be any use for drainage.ive two mainholes in the back garden is there anyway i could use these for drainage or is there anything else i could use

I was in the same boat as you. I dug a deep soakpit but it just filled up and never drained away. I dug some drains and connected it to the rain water gully. A bit of work but well worth it. This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061 really helped me.

the problem with that is there is decking between hole and gully and footpath around gully so how do i get to it.

What if i dig deeper its already 4ft though?
    Did up and remove soil from garden and and put down top soil?
    Hook up a pump to sink hole and connect to gully somehow?

by the way if i was still to use it as a sink hole what type of rock should i use.

This is a very easy and simple fix,with regards getting the water out of the hole and into a drain.

Get a garden hose and drop 1 end into the hole with the water in it.

Bring the other end of the garden hose to the nearest drain (shorter the run,the easier it will be do drain the water).

Then suck on that end of the hose and the suction/siphon effect will cause the water to flow through the hose and keep on flowing too,until the hole is drained of all water (old wize trick).

Its a well known and proven trick in the world of fish keeping and draining down large fish tanks.Works for me when draining down a 500 litre tank to a garden drain or rainwater butt (over 30 feet away).:)

No need to be digging big long trenches or going off and buying water pumps just to get rid of the water out of the hole.

You get what you suck on.:o

You get what you suck on.:o

Oh sweet lord jesus christ.........Is that all you can say to me,thats the best you can do?
    And all because you never used your brains to think of this easy and well proven solution.

But I see you still (yet again on this forum) avoid my direct question to you.:rolleyes:

So where are all the professional qualifictions then??? (which you keep on claiming you have)

People soon see through your lame,silly feeble little posts on this forum and wonder why you actually cant and wont answer the question about your professional qualifications.

Have you finished College???
    Are you fully qualified??

What are your exact qualification then??

No need to have any concerns about my qualifications, I'm sure your own credentials are much more interesting, perhaps you might reiterate what they are?

No need to have any concerns about my qualifications, I'm sure your own credentials are much more interesting, perhaps you might reiterate what they are?

So what have you got to hide then??

You are quick to put down other professionals,horticultural teachers,horticultural students,other gardeners,professional horticulturalists,and their work,but you are unable to give out your own qualificatons.

I find it very strange,that you claim this that and the other and claim that you are a professional and qualified,on this forum,but have never backed up anything that you claim.

Instead,you allways run off and hide when you are directly asked the question regarding your qualifications.You also ignored the various threads on this forum about peoples gardening qualifications too.

All you ever do is try to slagg off anyone who asks you about your qualifications.You post silly feeble little posts (like the one above).Then you run off and hide for a couple of days

You have a long track record of doing all of this,on this gardening forum,but you can never answer anyone directly when it comes to qualifications.:rolleyes:

Why is that then????:

• Advertisement

So what have you got to hide then??

You are quick to put down other professionals,horticultural teachers,horticultural students,other gardeners,professional horticulturalists,and their work,but you are unable to give out your own qualificatons.

I find that very strange,that you claim this that and the other and claim that you are a professional and qualified,on this forum.

But you allways run off and hide when you are directly asked the question regarding your qualifications.You also ignored the various threads on this forum about peoples gardening qualifications too.

All you ever do is try to slagg off anyone who asks you about your qualifications.You post silly feeble little posts (like the one above).Then you run off and hide for a day or 2.

You have a long track record of doing all of this,on this gardening forum,but you can never answer anyone directly when it comes to qualifications.:rolleyes:

Why is that then????:

I have yet to offer any irresponsible or dangerous 'advice'. So long sucker.

I have yet to offer any irresponsible or dangerous 'advice'. So long sucker.

Yet again you completely avoid the questions you have been asked.People soon see through these lame,feeble posts of yours.:rolleyes:

So what happened then,did you drop out of college and not pass the exams.

Or did you just fail the exams and not get your diploma.

Or maybe you never even went to college to study and you have no qualifications.

Is that why you cant/wont answer anyone whos asks you??

You cant back up/prove the "claims" that you make on this forum.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

paddy147 and Sonnenblumen banned for 3 days for continual off topic posting and arguing on thread. There has already been another thread closed because of similar arguing. When the 3 days are up, any attempt to continue the arguing will result in a longer ban.

hi moonfish did you do anything with your drainage problem yept:Dponddigger:D

ive done nothing yet just looking out the window at it depresses me cant let the wee fella out with this big bloody pool of water in the back garden.

Ill probably take water out of the hole and then try to dig deeper to see if i can get down far enough to better clay its nearly all bleeding rock though.some people were saying to put a pump in hole and cover over then with clay not sure really how that would work .i have a footpath around all my house gullys so i cant even get at them.

I still have the brochure for the house and it says beautiful landscape gardens sickens me.

have you checked the 2 manholes in the garden.....one should be sewer and the other rainwater - if thats the case just pipe your sump to the rainwater manhole.

Hey how can i tell uf One is rainwater or not

hi moom fish,take off the covers on the manholes,and flush the toilet:Dponddigger:D

^^^^^^^^

as above- have someone flush a toilet while you observe the manholes...then confirm by running the garden hose /bucket of water into a downspout gutter to differentiate the two.

• Advertisement

cheers ill take a look at that today

Advertisement