Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

draining garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭moonfish

yea ive checked the manholes and one of them is for the rain water alright
    i'm going to dig down as far as the wavin piping and connect it up to my sink hole hopefully this will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi moonfish, will you post some photos of you progress on the drainage job,best of luck with your job.:Dponddigger:D

will do ill let you all know how im getting on

I'm putting together my plan of action for this garden my project for the summer.

unfortunately im in a midterraced house and have no access to the back garden.
    Judging by the pictures what do you think i should do bear in mind its all clay i have out there.
    1.remove a few inches of the top of the garden by digging.(maybe hire a power digger)
    2.Hire a turf cutter and take of layer of grass rotovate it all then removing rocks add top soil.
    3.kill the lawn rotavate and and add top soil
    any advice work be great just want to make less work for myself

i want to get this started before i dig trenchs for the drains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

the soil in the pictures really needs to be worked over at least. if i were you i'd take as much of that away as possible add some 3/4 inch stone then my topsoil after putting in a drainage pipe(you know the yellow pipe with the tiny holes in it) from the center of the garden to the nearest drainage gully. seal it up and sow the seed again in September. some people were on about sucking on garden hoses earlier on in this thread god only knows what they are sucking on. thats a quick fix the same problem will return with the next shower which will be any minute. you need to prevent the problem reoccurring. stone base to aid drainage pipe to carry excess water away fresh topsoil not crap the builders put down as a lawn before they cleared out from building the houses. From one look at the lawn you can see too much grit stone and sand. its not proper soil for a lawn and its far to compacted.
    Hope this helped. and no sucking on a hose required just some hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

^^^^^^
    agree with this

.....judging by the lack of topsoil i would say that the removal of what the builders left you with is the best course of action, when you have removed enough of these subsoils to the required depth, then install your drains, followed by a layer of clean stone over the whole area then dressed with a top layer of good quality soilblend....

no sump hole required since the drainage will be from the lawn - through the clean aggregate - into the land drains and then direct to the storm water manhole.

since you are a mid-terrace there will be a fair amount of manual labour involved - take your time and you will be rewarded for your exertions:)

yea there is a fair bit off work all right getting stuck in this week will keep you posted as to how it is getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thos007

Hey Moonfish, Just wondering how you are getting on with the garden drainage project. Need to do something similar myself. Thanks

Advertisement