Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replicating a Youtube/Vimeo Stream?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Im making an interactive video at the moment and the team has decided that they dont want to work with FLV files due to horrible compression that the editors are getting when they export.

Im trying to come up with different options as the whole thing has to be done in flash! (There are other parts to the project also). So I was looking into how vimeo/youtube stream their files and they use .Mov files.

Has anyone got some insight as to how this is done? Anytime I try to import the files I have to convert them to flv/f5v(i think) files. There has to be a better way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Flash?

So they don't mind essentially not being able to work on virtually all Mobile devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Flash?

So they don't mind essentially not being able to work on virtually all Mobile devices?

Yep, its perfectly fine. However I have tried it on my android and it worked fine, but its not meant for mobile viewing, its going to weigh in around 500-1500 megs and it will be compressed, the streaming is also local.

We have a trailer for the movie being made which will be on youtube etc, but the main file will be a download because we are expecting high traffic and cant afford to splash out on bandwidth.

Anyway, can you shed any light on how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It will work on Android currently, but Flash is not being developed for Android anymore but if you don't mind mobile then thats a small point.

Developing your own streaming is very very complex and a very big violation of reinventing the wheel for little to no reason?

going waaaay off topic here, I really dont care about the longevity of flash or anything to do with its development.

Im just asking if anyone knows of a way to stream .mov files like vimeo/youtube do. I have it working with FLV's, but i want better quality.

I would even consider using Director, thats how little we care about the technology used. Its a degree show project, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Sorry but I'm a bit confused. Are you asking how to stream a file in general or how to specifically stream a .mov file?

Does the device you are streaming to support .mov files and can it play them ?

• Advertisement

amen wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm a bit confused. Are you asking how to stream a file in general or how to specifically stream a .mov file?

Does the device you are streaming to support .mov files and can it play them ?

Yep, .mov files! just trying to replicate youtube/vimeo only make them interactive. Instead of embedding the videos, im trying to reference them instead! youtube/vimeo steam .mov via a flash player (i think), and if i could replicate that i would be sorted for this project!

It works with FLV files but the compression is horrid!

Advertisement