Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No idea what to do after school!! :/

• 19-03-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

My friend has asked me to post this as she doesn't have a boards account.

So she has to pick her LC subjects next week and she has no idea whatsoever to what she wants to do! :O She knows she wants to go travelling after college but doesn't want to go before it cause she fears she may just not want to go back! :P

She has been thinking of Physiotherapy but she thinks shes just saying that to shut people up when they ask her rather than knowing what she really wants to do.

Anyways.. anyone have any ideas of what might help her decide what she wants to do....

Also what are good subjects choices that wouldn't limit her options...

She's already decided for German, Business, And Biology.... She must just pick two more subjects... (Note:- Her school allows her to take Accounting, Economics or Applied Maths after school as extra subjects if she wants.. :) )...

Any answers are much appreciated :):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

She's already well covered with a language, a science and a business. Personally I'd go for geography next as it is by far the most interesting subject (and its pretty doable). I've hear that economics is a very nice subject (although I don't do it) but all my friends that do accounting really regret it. I'm not joking when I say they HATE it. You have to be pretty good at maths to do applied maths from what I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

She's only 15 or 16. Tell her that yes choosing LC subjects can give you some sort of a direction in life but if you sit the LC and realise that actually you're not interested in science or whatever it's not the end of the world. Universities take in people that have never looked at a subject before so your LC really doesn't matter except for entry points. Obviously it's nice to have a grounding in a subject but just reassure her to choose the subjects she's strongest in so she can get the highest number of points possible.
    Obviously if shes wants to do primary school teaching or something like that you have to have HL Irish grade C1 but even then, you do an arts degree and then do primary school after, work in a private school or whatever. There's always ways around things.
    If she chooses something she doesn't like just to get high points in it then invariably she'll hate the next two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    My friend has asked me to post this as she doesn't have a boards account.

So she has to pick her LC subjects next week and she has no idea whatsoever to what she wants to do! :O She knows she wants to go travelling after college but doesn't want to go before it cause she fears she may just not want to go back! :P

She has been thinking of Physiotherapy but she thinks shes just saying that to shut people up when they ask her rather than knowing what she really wants to do.

Anyways.. anyone have any ideas of what might help her decide what she wants to do....

Also what are good subjects choices that wouldn't limit her options...

She's already decided for German, Business, And Biology.... She must just pick two more subjects... (Note:- Her school allows her to take Accounting, Economics or Applied Maths after school as extra subjects if she wants.. :) )...

Any answers are much appreciated :):D

It's fairly pointless people suggesting subjects for a person who is not even posting themselves and when posters don't know what subjects are on offer in her school or what she is doing for Junior Cert, or what she likes. May as well suggest Latin and Agricultural Economics as French and History with the information here.

She may also change her mind about travelling after the LC, over the two years she will probably change her mind several times about lots of different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

It's fairly pointless people suggesting subjects for a person who is not even posting themselves and when posters don't know what subjects are on offer in her school or what she is doing for Junior Cert, or what she likes. May as well suggest Latin and Agricultural Economics as French and History with the information here.

She may also change her mind about travelling after the LC, over the two years she will probably change her mind several times about lots of different things.

Fair enough :P

She currently does:
    1. Geography
    2. History
    3. German
    4. Science
    5. Business
    6. Home-Economics

Her school offers a good range of subjects... The Four Science, The Three Businesses, Home-Ec, etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Just advise her to go for the ones she loves and/or will do well in. :) And to keep her options open it would be very good to include a science and a language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Fair enough :P

She currently does:
    1. Geography
    2. History
    3. German
    4. Science
    5. Business
    6. Home-Economics

Her school offers a good range of subjects... The Four Science, The Three Businesses, Home-Ec, etc. :D

Well if she's already chosen German, Business and Biology she's got a pretty good spread there. She should pick what she likes to study, and not pick something just for the sake of doing it.

She should perhaps consider if there's any general direction she's considering, i.e. does she want to do something business or science related at third level, if so, she might want to take a second subject in this area. If not her choices are wide open and she should pick what she's interested in. It's always easier to study something you like.

Advertisement